crossbow scopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

Re: crossbow scopes

Post by grouse »

There must not be much of a market for upgrade crossbow scopes. The stock scopes are (mostly) plenty good enough to kill deer at 30 yards. The extra cost of replacing the scope that comes with a crossbow probably doesn't buy you much benefit (pretty much as Anthony expressed in an earlier post). That is the likely reason that so many scope makers gave up on crossbow scopes.

Since I can't get one of the scopes I was most interested in, I'll probably just pass. No big deal, my scopes have worked well for me. I'll think of something else to tell my wife to buy for Christmas.
axiom
350 SE
janesy

Post by janesy »

Deadzones are great scopes for stock scopes. There are lots of them floating around you can usually get on ship to you for 50-60 Bux. Still a worthwhile investment. I'm not a fan of the tactzones myself, but the tact100 is not bad, has pretty clear optics.
You can still upgrade without breaking the bank.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

grouse wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:00 pm
There must not be much of a market for upgrade crossbow scopes. The stock scopes are (mostly) plenty good enough to kill deer at 30 yards. The extra cost of replacing the scope that comes with a crossbow probably doesn't buy you much benefit (pretty much as Anthony expressed in an earlier post). That is the likely reason that so many scope makers gave up on crossbow scopes.

Since I can't get one of the scopes I was most interested in, I'll probably just pass. No big deal, my scopes have worked well for me. I'll think of something else to tell my wife to buy for Christmas.
....let me just clarify one thing...the glass on the "upgraded" scopes; Luppy Crossbones (no longer made) and the Hawke X30 are noticeably brighter...that is when compared side by side with the DeadZone....it's like many other comparison's; car's, motorcycles, etc.....however; 1. are they worth the extra money for most hunting situations?, 2. do they perform and is the configuration (when you look through the scope) as you "expect" when looking through the scope, 3. Does it hit where you aim consistently?....and 4. Does it bother you that you do not have the "top of the line," "more expensive" scope? If you can answer 2-3 "yes" and 1 and 4 "no"..... I think the "stock scopes" fit the bill as I found with me on my AXE340's

.....Grouse, we were all looking forward to the Christmas picture of you in your Cashmere whatever! :eusa-shifty: :eusa-doh:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

There used to be an old saying about spending as much on your scope as your rifle. When it comes to crossbows, other than the freak exception of the Nikon Bolt, ACOG Crossbow.

If my hunting always dictated the use of a crossbow because nothing else was allowed, I’d (and I do on certain lands) have the most dependable setup money could buy. I’m not into fps as I like 280-340 but a Matrix with ACOG is dependable.
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

I too have been looking to see what is available for crossbow scope upgrades and was surprised to see how little is available. The Vortex Crossfire II looks interesting but the reticle seems a bit busy for me and I like plain and simple for reticles. Also it is an illuminated reticle which in itself is fine but looking at the scope on their website it's not clear to me if the reticle is still visible if you lose the illumination in cases when the battery dies.

If anybody is using this scope I would really like to know if the reticle is always visible with our without illumination?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I essentially, agree with your line of reasoning. I currently have a DeadZone on my 350 and it works well and will never cost me a deer. My plan was to put the DeadZone on my Axiom and the new scope on the 350. The stock scope on the Axiom also worked fine but it is large and a bit clunky so the DeadZone would be an upgrade and I would have a nice new scope on the 350. I have to give my wife some gift idea or I will end up with a cashmere sweater that I will never wear.

I would go for the sweater have you ever touched a women in one of those sweaters wow like touching a mink !
If they could make the sweater in Real Tree Camo awesome but tree bark gray would work :D
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

evo x scope good glass nice clear reticle
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

CT.HNTR wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:53 pm
I too have been looking to see what is available for crossbow scope upgrades and was surprised to see how little is available. The Vortex Crossfire II looks interesting but the reticle seems a bit busy for me and I like plain and simple for reticles. Also it is an illuminated reticle which in itself is fine but looking at the scope on their website it's not clear to me if the reticle is still visible if you lose the illumination in cases when the battery dies.

If anybody is using this scope I would really like to know if the reticle is always visible with our without illumination?
The crossfire 2 reticle is a normal etched reticle when the illumination is off. So you can use it with no illumination with no issues.

Its very clear. The only downside is the reticle is a bit small and you have to get used to the top post being your 20 yard aim point and your main crosshair is 40 yards.

Vortex is listening to the reviews. I have sent them my recommended improvement opportunities.

Build a hunter scope.
Main aim point 20 yards.
Aim points max 60 yards(100 yards is not needed)
Enlarge the aimpoint numbers. I can barely read them.

Other than that I do recomend this scope as a worthwhile upgrade. For the price you can't go wrong.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Al in Mi

Post by Al in Mi »

Be sweet if Vortex does that
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Carnivorous,

I agree 100% with your feedback to Vortex :thumbup:
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

And I would add that they should change the parallax setting from 75 yards to 40 yards
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

CT.HNTR wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:44 am
And I would add that they should change the parallax setting from 75 yards to 40 yards
Excellent point!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Carnivorous wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:22 am
CT.HNTR wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:53 pm

The crossfire 2 reticle is a normal etched reticle when the illumination is off. So you can use it with no illumination with no issues.

Its very clear. The only downside is the reticle is a bit small and you have to get used to the top post being your 20 yard aim point and your main crosshair is 40 yards.

Vortex is listening to the reviews. I have sent them my recommended improvement opportunities.

Build a hunter scope.
Main aim point 20 yards.
Aim points max 60 yards(100 yards is not needed)
Enlarge the aimpoint numbers. I can barely read them.

Other than that I do recomend this scope as a worthwhile upgrade. For the price you can't go wrong.
I'd buy one, if they made a hunter version.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I’ve never used “crossbow” scopes on my crossbows. Regular rifle scopes have served me well. I’ve got an illuminated Zeiss Diavari on one and an illuminated Leupold VX3 on the other, and both have accounted for nice bucks in the last couple weeks. :thumbup:
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I picked up a new to me crossbones. In my opinion its still the best crossbow specific scope ever made. I like to know my POI will be on the mark out to 60 yards with no cluttered reticle!! :)