ATTN: Old stubborn men on this site! Free Harness!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

User avatar
elkaholic
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:27 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: ATTN: Old stubborn men on this site!

Post by elkaholic » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:29 pm

To funny. Old harness. I bet we got 6 or 7 new UNUSED
Safety harness laying around.

Every tree ladderstand comes with one n the box.

We got 3 ole singles on standbye. and 6 double stands up now.


So if never using a harness over the yrs. Is stubborn. Well so be it.

Prmtvbowman22
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:20 pm

Re: ATTN: Old stubborn men on this site!

Post by Prmtvbowman22 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:53 pm

I hunted over 55 years and probably used a harness 3 times now I'm sitting here with cracked ribs and 3 broken vertebrae on opening day. Stand was strapped chained and lag bolted to tree. Dropped out from under me like a trap door after I sat there for a half hour. Go the safe route. I'm lucky I can still walk.

hankenhunter
Posts: 2979
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:21 pm
Location: Thompson/Nicola, British Colombia

Re: ATTN: Old stubborn men on this site!

Post by hankenhunter » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:58 pm

CSB: A mine I worked at had some new safety harnesses come in for trial and approval. One was given to the dewatering crew (me) to test. At coffee time the crane operator hooked me up to the crane, handed me my thermos of coffee, and snack, then hoisted me two feet in the air. I spent the whole 15 min. hanging there. My foreman came down after coffee, and almost pissed himself laughing when he saw me. He though the guys had pulled a prank on me. Funny thing was that the damm thing was so comfortable. After I said I could take a nap hanging there, the harnesses were put into general use. I got to keep mine after the mine closed. I ended up giving it to my electrician brother. End CSB.

papa bear1
Posts: 1320
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:30 am
Location: southwest missouri in the ozarks

Re: ATTN: Old stubborn men on this site!

Post by papa bear1 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:18 am

Prmtvbowman22 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:53 pm
I hunted over 55 years and probably used a harness 3 times now I'm sitting here with cracked ribs and 3 broken vertebrae on opening day. Stand was strapped chained and lag bolted to tree. Dropped out from under me like a trap door after I sat there for a half hour. Go the safe route. I'm lucky I can still walk.
My point made
be safe not sorry.
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings

User avatar
artifact
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:04 am
Location: NE PA.

Re: ATTN: Old stubborn men on this site!

Post by artifact » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:32 am

So far at 73 I have never worn one!
My hunting buddy found himself laying on the ground after passing out or falling asleep, luckily he was hunting from the ground, one of his relation is paralyzed after falling out of a tree stand, he was a practicing doctor. The son of a guy I know fell out of a stand and ended up with an arrow completely through his leg, luckily he survived that ordeal. Little different, a fellow worker had just gone on pension and was painting a ceiling at a church, he fell off an 8' ladder, hit his head, and died from the fall, you don't have to be up that high for a fall to kill you!
I do have a harness that came with one of the stands I purchased, I think it's time to start using it!

It's always the other guy, until you are the other guy! :eusa-think:

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 3720
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: ATTN: Old stubborn men on this site!

Post by janesy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:52 am

I've got lots of buddies too who always tell me how they don't wear it. I just shake my head. It's not a badge of honour, it's more like a name tag you'll have to wear for the rest of your life so the nurse who feeds you and drains your dirty bags will know your name that day.

Still have one left, who wants it?
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
MOBU Micro BD345 "Greener"
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"

Every little sound in the bush sounds like footsteps... Until you hear footsteps!

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 3720
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: ATTN: Old stubborn men on this site!

Post by janesy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:54 am

artifact wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:32 am
So far at 73 I have never worn one!
My hunting buddy found himself laying on the ground after passing out or falling asleep, luckily he was hunting from the ground, one of his relation is paralyzed after falling out of a tree stand, he was a practicing doctor. The son of a guy I know fell out of a stand and ended up with an arrow completely through his leg, luckily he survived that ordeal. Little different, a fellow worker had just gone on pension and was painting a ceiling at a church, he fell off an 8' ladder, hit his head, and died from the fall, you don't have to be up that high for a fall to kill you!
I do have a harness that came with one of the stands I purchased, I think it's time to start using it!

It's always the other guy, until you are the other guy! :eusa-think:
I'm giving these away to help change people's mind. Every year we get a post about someone falling.
The harnesses that come with do the job. But in all honesty, an HHS harness is so darned comfortable. You don't even know your wearing it. And they slide on and off so easily and almost silently.
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
MOBU Micro BD345 "Greener"
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"

Every little sound in the bush sounds like footsteps... Until you hear footsteps!

User avatar
artifact
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:04 am
Location: NE PA.

Re: ATTN: Old stubborn men on this site!

Post by artifact » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:17 pm

janesy wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:52 am
I've got lots of buddies too who always tell me how they don't wear it. I just shake my head. It's not a badge of honour, it's more like a name tag you'll have to wear for the rest of your life so the nurse who feeds you and drains your dirty bags will know your name that day.
Not a badge of honor here, just that for the first 40 years or so of hunting I never saw or even heard of a safety harness for tree stand use, and never saw or knew anyone that used even a home made one, now that they are readily available I agree that it is in your best interest and wise to use one.
Wonder how many guys used the old Baker climbers, those things were an accident just waiting to happen!!!!! :lol:

grouse
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: ATTN: Old stubborn men on this site! Free Harness!

Post by grouse » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:56 pm

Since I have been the target of a few cheap shots here, I thought I would clarify my remarks. I have nothing against the wearing of a safety harness, I just have a different safety protocol. I'm safety minded, I've worn an auto seatbelt since well before they were mandatory, I wore a helmet every time I rode when I had a motorcycle, I wear a helmet every time I ride a bicycle (which is often here lately) and I've been wearing a mask when appropriate since St. Patrick's Day . I hunt from three different stands on property that I own - two tree stands and a tripod stand. All of my stands have sturdy shooting rails that surround me or extend next to the tree. To me, it's a lot like a rail on a balcony. I almost would have to try to fall off do so.

You're entitled to your choice of safety options an so am I. Everybody stay safe and wear a mask when you should!
axiom
350 SE

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 3720
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: ATTN: Old stubborn men on this site! Free Harness!

Post by janesy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:42 pm

grouse wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:56 pm
Since I have been the target of a few cheap shots here, I thought I would clarify my remarks. I have nothing against the wearing of a safety harness, I just have a different safety protocol. I'm safety minded, I've worn an auto seatbelt since well before they were mandatory, I wore a helmet every time I rode when I had a motorcycle, I wear a helmet every time I ride a bicycle (which is often here lately) and I've been wearing a mask when appropriate since St. Patrick's Day . I hunt from three different stands on property that I own - two tree stands and a tripod stand. All of my stands have sturdy shooting rails that surround me or extend next to the tree. To me, it's a lot like a rail on a balcony. I almost would have to try to fall off do so.

You're entitled to your choice of safety options an so am I. Everybody stay safe and wear a mask when you should!
I assume I'm in the list of cheap shot guys, since I double quoted a quote of yours. I apologize if you took offense to it. I didn't mean any, but I see how it would come across that way. Any time someone post up anything about about harness there always a list stories why people feel they don't need it. As rediculous as that may be, it a valid opinion I respect that. The opinion... Not the choice.

However I digress, I simply want to give away some harnesses to people who WANT to try wearing them. Not read a list of stories why people don't need them.

I'm going to let this thread die out. If anyone want my last harness, shipped anywhere for free. Shoot me a PM
.
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
MOBU Micro BD345 "Greener"
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"

Every little sound in the bush sounds like footsteps... Until you hear footsteps!

grouse
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: ATTN: Old stubborn men on this site! Free Harness!

Post by grouse » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:45 pm

I'm not at all offended, I just wanted to explain my position. There were no real "cheap shots", and it would take a lot more than that to truly offend me.
axiom
350 SE

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 3720
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: ATTN: Old stubborn men on this site! Free Harness!

Post by janesy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:54 pm

grouse wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:45 pm
I'm not at all offended, I just wanted to explain my position. There were no real "cheap shots", and it would take a lot more than that to truly offend me.
:thumbup:
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
MOBU Micro BD345 "Greener"
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"

Every little sound in the bush sounds like footsteps... Until you hear footsteps!

Post Reply