Persistence (Updated: Pays off)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Persistence (Updated: Pays off)

Post by DuckHunt »

They say persistence pays off. I must have got an I.O.U. this season. :lol: I'm on my tenth sit and have only seen one deer so far this year.

It's gonna be a long season at this rate.
Last edited by DuckHunt on Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Re: Persistence

Post by xcaliber »

Mama said there be days like these, there be days like this my Mama said. You just have to be there when it explodes, hang in there! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yep....
You can go home n now the lawn or take a nap.. have some beers and some beers till you pass out at the bar.. But you are stronger than that you are not a loser!
You are a bowhunter!
Being outside and doing this you are rich indeed!
Just sit and mess with your phone something will eventually come in...
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

My experience has been just the opposite. I’ve sat in the stand one time and saw 10 bucks and 3 does. There’s a thread on here as to how that one sit turned out. I’m done for the season.

As the title says, persistence is the key, and I can assure you that this season is an anomaly for me.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

retrieverman wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:43 pm
I’m done for the season.

As the title says, persistence is the key, and I can assure you that this season is an anomaly for me.
Yep, that was a brute you bagged. My anomaly was last season. I get three buck tags where I hunt (Northern VA) and filled the last one the week before gun season. Two 8pts with my xbow and an 11pt with muzzleloader. I figured this season would have to be a big step down and its been way down.

But, sometimes its just the luck we have. I let my son sit in my stand on opening morning and he bagged three doe and we were done by 7:30am. Saturday my daughter had six doe and had a flock of turkey around her stand. I'm in a stand only 100 yards away on the other side of a thicket and never saw a single one of them. I heard the turkeys cluck and the deer snort, but no visual. :roll:

But I'm still after'em. All it takes is one sit to completely change a season. Being persistent when the hunting is tough is part of the game.
grouse

Post by grouse »

I remember reading about your success last year and thinking how you were a good hunter in a good spot. October is just getting started, you have plenty of time. Like Retrieverman, I'm back on the bench. I've gone out three times, seen 20 deer, shot twice and killed one buck and one doe. I have more doe tags, but I can't shoot another buck until firearms season and my freezer is pretty full. Opening morning of gun season will still find me out there one more time.
axiom
350 SE
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Just stay at it and make sure the wind is right sometimes that can really mess you up for later hunts if they smell you.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I still haven’t even seen a deer. That’s ok though as I enjoy sitting in nature with it quiet. It refreshes my brain. I’ll get out more the last 2 weeks of October.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
DuckHunt

Re: Persistence (Updated: Pays off)

Post by DuckHunt »

Einstein said insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Well, my persistence was beginning to look like insanity to me so I decided yesterday to change things up. My 10 acre "Honey Hole" in Northern VA simply isn't hot right now. Since I live less than a mile from a WMA here in WV, I decided pack up the new Summit climber and at least become familiar with the logistics of hunting from it. I got home late, but since I was testing the logistics as much as hunting I decided to go out anyway. Sunset was 6:45pm and I didn't depart the house the last time until 5:05pm after going back for my safety strap (remember, logistics test).

At 5:31pm I was up a tree about 24 feet in an area I had hunting previously from the ground. There are no feed trees close. The area is in a draw between hills front and rear that serves as a travel corridor. It is a bit too open for my liking (great gun hunt location), but I had a trail under my stand that a deer ran down as I was approaching. Here is a view to my left with a field in the distance.

After seeing a doe come past running full tilt a half hour later I began to wonder if hunting in the travel corridor was such a good idea if the deer never stop when passing through it.

About ten minutes after sunset I saw a deer moving about 45 yards to my right front in the only semi-thick cover anywhere near me. It looked like a doe. I began to look out ahead of it to see if there was any path it could take across to my right that would provide me a reasonable shot. Unless it came closer, it would just be too far away. Then, in front of the thickness a buck steps out. Because I was losing light, I really couldn't tell how big he was and didn't really care on this public land. I'd be happy with the doe so a buck was just a bonus. He was about 45 yards away but was facing towards me as if he would come closer. Over the next couple of minutes he get as close as 41 yards. Since he was so close to thicker cover and I was losing light, I decided that was the best opportunity I would be given. After double-checking the range, I took good aim and put the illuminated 40y point very low behind the front shoulder with the deer slightly quartering too. Even though it was very quiet and the deer were calm, I assumed the deer would crouch upon the shot. I had to shoot through an opening that only provided about a foot of vertical clearance so I positioned myself so the line of sight was at the bottom of the opening knowing the arrow would take the high road. The lumenok proved that the trajectory from the Micro 340TD was perfect. It disappeared into the moving mass not to be seen again.

After taking a couple minutes to watch the direction the deer went I began to prepare for my descent. By the time I reached the ground, I needed a headlight to pack things up. I slowly made my way over to the impact point and didn't even make it there without noticing deer eyes looking back at me from the direction the buck went. :eusa-doh: So, do I turn off my light and just wait? How long? I decided to try to slip out of the area and come back later. Unfortunately, the deer was between me and my Jeep. I walked out on a trail that brought me within 45 yards of the buck. He was standing and watched me walk completely by him and never moved.

I returned with my daughter and son-in-law after 9pm and found him down right where I last saw him. The Leupold thermal tracker really helps. He was far nicer than I expected which I attribute to the low light.
Having help to drag him out was a huge bonus. Not only did the buck crouch on the shot, but he spun more than 90 degrees before the arrow arrived. Instead of a quartering too entry, the deer was quartering hard away. The arrow entered and exited the hind quarter, entered the abdomen behind the last rib and ended hitting the ribs on the opposite side. Sometimes a little luck goes a long way. The Truglo Titanium X was open on entry as witnessed by the entrance wound. While field dressing him, I found 14" of the arrow inside with the fletching and lumenok broken off. The last couple of inches were found inside the hind quarter with the lumenok still glowing.

Lesson: Be persistent, but not insane. If what you are doing isn't producing, you need to change the equation.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Awesome, and a big congrats!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Congrats DH :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
ODH

Post by ODH »

Well done, congrats on your buck! :eusa-clap:
grouse

Post by grouse »

Nice deer and congratulations!
axiom
350 SE
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats on the buck your patience really paid off. Deer can do some amazing things trying to get out of the way of an arrow. Great job
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Bravo!!! :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Nice Buck!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!