Dang Ticks!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Dang Ticks!!

Post by nchunterkw »

So far this season has been....like the rest of 2020....odd. Missed a doe at 30yds cause she ducked my arrow, and picked up 2 Lone Star ticks!! I found one after a few days and found the other after about 1 day. These are the ones that can make you allergic to mammal meat :shock:

Just wanted to pass on a resource. www.tickreport.com works with the University of Mass. to perform tick testing for $50. This will test the tick for a bunch of different bacteria and viruses should you choose. It's a great resource to let you know what's up so you don't unnecessarily undergo a course of strong antibiotics unless you need them. You just put the tick in a baggy and send it in. In about a week you have results. There are other sites too...TickCheck is another but I think you get more tests from TickReport.

Insect SHield is another thing I am looking into now. Apparently you can send your clothes in and have them professionally treated for about $9 per article...and it's guaranteed to be over 90% effective for 70 washes. That's a few seasons worth for me. So it may be more economical in the long run that buying a bunch of bottles of permetherin.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Re: Dang Ticks!!

Post by Boo »

Thanks Keith! You always find cool stuff! It is amazing that their process lasts so many washes!
https://www.insectshield.com/
I usually get a few ticks a year. This year I laid out tick tubes and even the dogs didn’t get any. I hate ticks almost as much as I hate bears! :eusa-hand:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I use Sawyer repellent here in Oklahoma. Have used it for several years now. No ticks found when I use it as recommended. We have a real problem with ticks here but I have been tick free.
https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-insect-repellent-treatment/
Don't spray it directly on your skin. Follow the directions.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
artifact

Post by artifact »

Also use Sawyers permethrin, never had a tick on me since using it.
I buy the big bottle, good for 5 articles of clothing and only apply once each season.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I dont knowed about north Carolina ticks but l been thru everything here and o ticks l have been using permethrin on every thing including my back pack and hat .
Meanwhile friends that actually think deer smell the permethrin and dont use it get them every time they go out.
If it weren't for the permethrin l dought l would even be out. I have been using it for 20 years no deer scared from the smell.
Good luck keith stay safe
.l hope them Lonestars aren't resistant to the spray.
Last edited by longbow joe on Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
gunboy203

Post by gunboy203 »

Thanks Keith for that information.... Yeah the ticks seem really bad this year and I always spray down my hunting clothes before even thinking about going into the woods... Hope your results come back negative on those ticks...
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Here in NC it's usually pretty hot during Sept-Oct so I have several sets of camo, and it gets washed a lot because I'm sweating my butt off. I too have been using the Sawyers, but it's like $25 for 2 big bottles that will only treat 10 pieces of clothing. Like Joe I treat the pack, seat, everything. Especially since I'm using a Ghost blind and sitting on the ground. And it only lasts 5 washes,

I figure Insect Shield will be a much more thorough application and 70 washes will easily get me through 3 or 4 seasons. And at $8.33 per piece for 3-19 pieces, or $7.95 for 20+, I'll come out ahead in the long run. ($7.95*20 = $159.00...divide by 4 seasons = $39.75 per season) And just use Sawyers on my gear. A plus for me too is they are close by in Greensboro so I can drop off my stuff and pick it up and save shipping.

Thankfully both of the ticks I found tested negative for any pathogens (got results on 2nd one yesterday) , and I have eaten beef since getting bitten and seem OK there too. I think I would not be real happy if I could not eat mammal meat! Or I'd have to become a big bird hunter.....take a bit more practice to hit some ducks with my Micro, I think.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I was the first person the military system tested for the lone star meat allergy. Alpha Gal test I think it was.

For me, the leaner the red meat, the more I felt like I was getting the flu. Everyone has different symptoms.

Mine lasted for about 3 1/2 years and I’m over it now.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Ferguson Outfitters wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:45 am
I was the first person the military system tested for the lone star meat allergy. Alpha Gal test I think it was.

For me, the leaner the red meat, the more I felt like I was getting the flu. Everyone has different symptoms.

Mine lasted for about 3 1/2 years and I’m over it now.
That's good to know........that you get over it. That's what I've heard and now you've confirmed. The only other person I know has it really bad and goes into anaphalaxis so she is not really willing to try anything to see if she's better or not.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I only know one other person with it and they got skin rashes and such. My PCM team was completely ignorant on the subject until I pushed it, only because my dad had read about it somewhere. Anyway, my doc said some folk can go into shock and need one of them shots with them until it goes away. Man, about 40 minutes after I’d eat a piece of beef or deer meat, I would be on the couch down for the count for about 5 hours with flu symptoms.

I would note that sausage, fast food burgers, and most pork, never bothered me much. A piece of backstrap or quality steak and boom...

Goodluck to all