Change of strategy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Change of strategy

Post by xcaliber »

This year is going to be the first year in a while that I will be able to hunt for a buck specifically. I’m going to bow hunt the same place until gun season in mid November. Aside from the normal things like laying off the first little buck, and not shooting a doe, here is the plan. First thing is I don’t have any trail cameras out because it’s public land. So I’m gonna head out to scout for sign on Tuesday morning because it will be cool, and windy. I’m going to take a gps and save the spots that show fresh buck sign and hopefully old sign too. I’ll save a note with the location that emphasizes best wind for the spot also. I have a tarsal gland to thaw out for the hunts as well as some James Valley scrape gel to try to get things popping. I’m gonna spray down my decoys and have them ready too. I have trail scent as well to use on my hike in.
Of course antlers to tickle if I get too bored, and a grunt call. What other tactics would be on your list for buck only hunting?
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Re: Change of strategy

Post by longbow joe »

Sounds like you got it covered dan.
It's very early here for the rut but Thursday night l grunted in two separate 8 pointers (non shooters)so that has definitely worked
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Hey Dan!
Sounds like a good plan. If I have a 'target buck", then I generally don't shoot Does on that piece of land until after that buck has been taken. And I'll only hunt him on certain days which the moon and weather dictate. I also have a tendency to hunt morning hours from 1st light until about 12:00-13:00 hours. I've tried to keep a list of the better bucks I have taken with a bow. To my surprise I find A LOT of them are later in the morning. I think most people "quit the sit" way too early in the morning.
A 5-8 year Buck isn't gonna come crashing thru the brush like a youngster. That's a smart fellow. He didn't get to be that age by being stupid or careless.
And remember, you're in his "backyard". He knows where everything is, and how to get to it without being detected.

This buck first showed on camera late last year. Never during the daylight on any camera. We were having a lot of oil and gas exploration on the property and I'm sure that kept him a 'late nighter". No one claimed him last year. No one but me has been on the property since April 2020. I don't have him on camera this year, but I'm hoping.
I did have this buck just a few days ago.

My ladder is 15 yards from him in this pic. First time he has been on camera.
Notice how thick this stuff is. I sat on this crossing last night. Had Does everywhere. Only time and patience will tell the outcome of this battle of wits.
Most of the time however, it's in the Buck's favor!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish you a TON of success!!! A wise man once told me, "You ain't never gonna kill a big buck by shooting all the little ones that walk by".
I don't think truer words have ever been spoken!!

The incoherent ramblings of an East Texas Redneck!! :mrgreen:
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

Reading these posts reminds me of how little I really know about deer hunting. My only thought about the wind is I don't like it and probably won't hunt long if it's blowing hard on me. I have a couple of cameras but haven't put them out in years. I keep myself and my hunting clothes clean and I wear camo and a mask. I make sure my broadheads are sharp. Most of the time I hunt from the same tripod stand because it is so comfortable.

A lot of my friends probably think I'm a good deer hunter because I kill multiple deer every year, with bow or gun. The truth is, I just have a really good place to hunt where anybody who can shoot could kill deer. I will keep reading and learning in case I ever have to do more to succeed.
axiom
350 SE
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

grouse wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:00 pm
Reading these posts reminds me of how little I really know about deer hunting. My only thought about the wind is I don't like it and probably won't hunt long if it's blowing hard on me. I have a couple of cameras but haven't put them out in years. I keep myself and my hunting clothes clean and I wear camo and a mask. I make sure my broadheads are sharp. Most of the time I hunt from the same tripod stand because it is so comfortable.

A lot of my friends probably think I'm a good deer hunter because I kill multiple deer every year, with bow or gun. The truth is, I just have a really good place to hunt where anybody who can shoot could kill deer. I will keep reading and learning in case I ever have to do more to succeed.
Hey Grouse...
I know guys that NEVER set foot in the woods until opening morning and yet that always manage to kill a deer. Most of them "hunt" a buddies place!! They come out when the "buddy" calls and tells them it's "deer season"!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use to live on a place when I could have shot deer off my back patio. I think it's more about, "can I outwit this particular buck, or will he best me again this year".
Goofy guys like me will spend hours pouring over footage from cameras to end up not killing a deer that doesn't fit our expectations, because we are looking for "that one" to make our day.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Keep it coming folks! :eusa-popcorn:
janesy

Post by janesy »

I just got a tag for a shotgun hunt in December. I've always got the November tag. So it's going to be different timing wise, but nothing crazy.

Down side is my hunting party ALL got the November hunt. So I'm the odd man out. Mind you retail and CoVID before Christmas... I think my staff will be happy to see me off in the bushes :lol:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:25 am
Hey Dan!
Sounds like a good plan. If I have a 'target buck", then I generally don't shoot Does on that piece of land until after that buck has been taken. And I'll only hunt him on certain days which the moon and weather dictate. I also have a tendency to hunt morning hours from 1st light until about 12:00-13:00 hours. I've tried to keep a list of the better bucks I have taken with a bow. To my surprise I find A LOT of them are later in the morning. I think most people "quit the sit" way too early in the morning.
A 5-8 year Buck isn't gonna come crashing thru the brush like a youngster. That's a smart fellow. He didn't get to be that age by being stupid or careless.
And remember, you're in his "backyard". He knows where everything is, and how to get to it without being detected.

This buck first showed on camera late last year. Never during the daylight on any camera. We were having a lot of oil and gas exploration on the property and I'm sure that kept him a 'late nighter". No one claimed him last year. No one but me has been on the property since April 2020. I don't have him on camera this year, but I'm hoping.
I did have this buck just a few days ago.

My ladder is 15 yards from him in this pic. First time he has been on camera.
Notice how thick this stuff is. I sat on this crossing last night. Had Does everywhere. Only time and patience will tell the outcome of this battle of wits.
Most of the time however, it's in the Buck's favor!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish you a TON of success!!! A wise man once told me, "You ain't never gonna kill a big buck by shooting all the little ones that walk by".
I don't think truer words have ever been spoken!!

The incoherent ramblings of an East Texas Redneck!! :mrgreen:
AJ
Couple nice ones there. I have made up my mind to lay off of the doe until I have a good knowledge of the bucks here, and we have trail cam pics. on our farm that we hunt, but we only gun hunt there. The Kid takes care of the pictures, and says we have a couple nice ones, so I'm waiting to see those unless I get a shot on a stud at the public land. They are there, and I know they are, so I know not to shoot a scrawny one. I have only one more bow tag to use on public land, so I'm going to fill it hopefully with a nice buck. We have a bundle license program here in Indiana, but the rules are two archery deer tags which still applies to a three license tag. Plus this county where the farm is has two extra bonus doe tags for any season or weapon. I know I will get another deer for the freezer, so I feel no pressure at all! :eusa-liar: :lol: :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Couple nice ones there. I have made up my mind to lay off of the doe until I have a good knowledge of the bucks here, and we have trail cam pics. on our farm that we hunt, but we only gun hunt there. The Kid takes care of the pictures, and says we have a couple nice ones, so I'm waiting to see those unless I get a shot on a stud at the public land. They are there, and I know they are, so I know not to shoot a scrawny one. I have only one more bow tag to use on public land, so I'm going to fill it hopefully with a nice buck. We have a bundle license program here in Indiana, but the rules are two archery deer tags which still applies to a three license tag. Plus this county where the farm is has two extra bonus doe tags for any season or weapon. I know I will get another deer for the freezer, so I feel no pressure at all! :eusa-liar: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Pressure? What Pressure??? :wink:
No Sweat!!! :lol:

The pics of the bucks I posted are off a piece of land that has not had a gun shot fired on it in over 10 years that I know of. Parcel is about 100 acres. Has a seasonal stream that runs thru it with lots of hardwood bottom land, with great White Oaks and Persimmon Trees. The only folks ever on this place are me, a son-in-law and the pumper that checks the wells. The property is under "lock and key" literally. Kinda makes it easy to manage. :D

I'm Blessed and I know it. I have at least 4 places to hunt. My Dad's place, (now mine and my sisters), is a roughly 269 acres. Then I have the 100 acres mentioned above. Then I have access to two other places that are 40 acres each. All of that property is within 20 minutes of my house.
Most of these properties I have total control over. Once we settle my Dad's Estate, I'll figure out what we are going to do there. I have 3 sisters that will have a say in it. When split 4 ways, that's roughly 67 acres each, but I know I have two sisters that want to sell cause the live in different states. I'll do my best to buy them out. :think: :think:

Finding property to hunt in Texas is the biggest hurdle. Most of Texas is "private property. Then if you're a non-resident, a license is $315. But it allows you all the options that would apply to a legal resident. (During actual "Archery Season" you would need an "Archery Stamp" on your license, but during "Rifle/Gun Season", you do NOT need an Archery Stamp to hunt with your bow/archery equipment).
When archery season opens in Texas, I can bow hunt until last day of Rife/Gun Season with my bow if I choose to do so. There are some counties that are "Bow Only" even during rifle season.
I haven't shot a deer with a rifle in over 15 years. NOT condemning those who do by no means!!! I want every one who wants to hunt to have the ability to do so!!!

I wish you all the success you can stand. You just watch your health!!!

Andy
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Good luck Dan.

The Good Lord willing I am headed back up north Friday.
Going to scout a funnel that I have wanted to check out for better trails and fresh sign that afternoon. I have basemap so I can mark my spots for stand locations . Evercalm for my boots. And some JV full draw for a drag. I plan to play the wind , wear rubber gloves for the scouting and wear my leafy suit. Spray down and take my decoy and hammic chair in Case I find a good ground ambush spot while I am out. I will have a grunt tube and small set of horns with me also.

I have really been thinking about taking my walker razor muffs hoping that I could hear better. I dont hear to well these days.
Any of you guys use these?
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good luck!