Charger Crank

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: Charger Crank

Post by xcaliber »

I'm not accusing anyone of being careless, reckless, or lacking common sense. I'm just trying to drive the point of safety first. Brian, sorry to hear of the failure of your equipment, just another reason why I love my Matrix 380 so much these days! The more mechanized things get, the more complicated, and prone to issues they become. I am more than curious to hear which part of the Charger failed so please keep us posted.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Ok fine ... I don't always use the latches either.

I will now I promise.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:35 pm

I will now I promise.
Pinky Swear? :lol: :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

janesy wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:35 pm

I will now I promise.
Until you forget :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

I typically have the stringer set pretty tight and only pull up a few inches to release the string pressure. Couple cranks at best. Nowhere near the latches.
But I do know this is bad practise, also this is how I broke my one and only micro limb when the stringer wasn't sitting straight
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Just an FYI, the instructions only recommend using the fail-safe strap while de-cocking the crossbow! It broke while I was cocking and when it broke without warning, the handle flew around so fast that there was nothing I could do but get my hand out of the way. I will NEVER trust it again under any circumstances without the fail-safe strap on the crank handle!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

So the spring broke, how did the handle hit you again? :eusa-popcorn:
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I was in the process of cranking the crank. The recoil spring didn't break. I think the internal gear broke? Sounded like something snapped and the handle went flying. The crank doesn't do anything anymore. Doesn't matter which way it is turned. Something internal definitely is broken.
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

What a beaten that charger gave you glad that’s all it was. Last year I was showing my son how to use a C2 on the 405 when one of the hooks broke then the string ended up breaking in the failure fortunately no one was seriously hurt son did have a nice welt on his stomach but nothing like you got. I contacted Excalibur and they made it all good new string and hooks. No damage to the bow the ADF did its job.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

This talk about flying crank handles and decocking has me thinking about the good old days. I used to wad up the sleeve on my jacket, grab the string, and pull the trigger. There was a bit of a jolt, but it got the job done quickly, and safely, too.

Then came the 405, and the micro short limbs. Now I'm a sissy.

The C2 crank is an under rated system. It's so simple that it's as close to fool proof as a mechanism can be. The biggest complaint was the big click. In reality that was the sound of mechanical strength, safety and simplicity. Ironically, in a situation where silence was demanded, it was not that difficult to depress the latch and wind the crank silently. I know, because I did it with an elk laying down not 20 yards from me. The hardest part was to keep breathing, for fear it would hear me.

Using my C2 I did any servicing needed. Why would you want to load limbs by going to a cocked position? The lock system on the C2 is every bit as secure as the latches on the trigger, I would think. Plus, if string or hooks failed, the consequences should be a lot of pounds lighter.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

So I can catchup to what happened. Concerned as I use the Charger daily .
So to get better picture when this happened the wrist strap WAS or WAS NOT being used.
Because I found it difficult up until now to understand how the handle spun out of control ???
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Hi5 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:52 pm
This talk about flying crank handles and decocking has me thinking about the good old days. I used to wad up the sleeve on my jacket, grab the string, and pull the trigger. There was a bit of a jolt, but it got the job done quickly, and safely, too.

Then came the 405, and the micro short limbs. Now I'm a sissy.

The C2 crank is an under rated system. It's so simple that it's as close to fool proof as a mechanism can be. The biggest complaint was the big click. In reality that was the sound of mechanical strength, safety and simplicity. Ironically, in a situation where silence was demanded, it was not that difficult to depress the latch and wind the crank silently. I know, because I did it with an elk laying down not 20 yards from me. The hardest part was to keep breathing, for fear it would hear me.

Using my C2 I did any servicing needed. Why would you want to load limbs by going to a cocked position? The lock system on the C2 is every bit as secure as the latches on the trigger, I would think. Plus, if string or hooks failed, the consequences should be a lot of pounds lighter.
If you set the string aid length correctly so that it catches the trigger latches with MINIMAL limb flexing you can do everything you need to do concerning the string in the SAFEST manner, and the way it was designed to be used. Not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm very confused on what actually happened so that I too don't fall victim to this. My goal in life is to be as smart, or smarter than anything I use.
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Dan in the process of cranking the Charger, something snapped and jerked the handle out of my hand and spun a few times before it came to a stop. The crank is useless now, it doesn't do anything when cranked in either direction. As per directions, I've only used the wrist strap while decocking the bow using the Charger crank! It's not that hard to understand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I understand exactly what you said. You're right, it was easy to understand too. Glad you're okay Brian. :thumbup:
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Excalibur replaced the whole Charger Crank EXT with a brand new in the box crank. Never ever had a complaint about customer service with Excalibur! I'm definitely gun-shy now using this crank! I will NOT use it without the fail-safe strap in either direction! 👍