Blessed with my first Double Sat Night

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Blessed with my first Double Sat Night

Post by nchunterkw »

I'm hunting another neighborhood this year and we have 30 "CDMAP" tags to try to fill. This is a state program where landowners can get together and talk with the biologist and basically get depredation tags for hunters to use in season only. So the MO up here is to cull what we can.

Been using the Ghost Blind, and after getting busted a few times with deer from the side or behind, I think I have figured out how to better set it up. My buddy and I got a late start, and then we saw a landowners so we had to chat for a few moinutes so I was rushing to get setup and I had to find a slightly better place than I was setup in last time. I finally pick a spot after himming and hawwing over 10ft of ground to get that "perfect" spot for what seemed like 20 minutes. I get the blind up, go out to 20 yds to see what it looks like, decide it;s good and climb in behind it. My bow is still outside of it leaning on a tree. As I'm settling the seat etc, I see movement...and I kinda chuckle. Yep it's been that kid of year. They are still about 60 yds out so I am able to get my range finder out and range 1 tree to get a guestimate, and then get my bow into the blind. They are closing in.

My spot is about 45yds from a large pine thicket. The deer come from there and run right back into it at the shot so tracking is kinda rough. ANyway, there are 4 deer. Same group I have seen before I think. One larger older doe and 3 other nice ones, but definately not as big as her. One is about 35 or so and looks to be moving towards the 1 trtee I ranged at 26yds. Then another runs up behind her and comes a little more to my right. That one is more in the 40 range and in some brush, but as more sets of eyes close in I decide if the first one gives me a shot I will take it. Bow is up, safe is off and I'm watching her through the scope, she stops at what I thought was a couple steps beyond the tree broadside, but the near leg is back. I wait, she steps and bang. Either she ducked or my yardage was off, but she is down right there as the shot was just a tad high. So I had to use a second arrow to end it. OK, back to the blind as it's only 4:48PM. reload again and wait.
About 6:00PM I again see movement out of the pines. A smaller deer by itself, but in this area it doesn't matter. I wonder what this dead deer will do when it sees the dead one. He is (ended up being a button buck) hanging at about 40-45 yds and then sees this deer and is on alert. He comes a little closer to it then spooks, tail up but only makes 2 jumps then starts working to my left in some cover. He ends up working his way in for another look from another angle and he is now close. I figured 20yds, take aim and bag! He is down right there too and dies very quickly. Good shot, two lungs pass through. I am very thankfl for the chance and for the fact that I didn't have to go into the pines to track them.

It's a different kind of hunting for sure, and not for everyone, but very exciting, and the meat feeds the hungry......which is even more important during these trying times.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
xcaliber

Re: Blessed with my first Double Sat Night

Post by xcaliber »

Sounds like you’re doing good, God Bless you for helping on both ends Keith.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Way to go Keith, sounds like you had an interesting and fun time :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
grouse

Post by grouse »

Great job! I love reading these stories and trying to visualize the hunt that is described. Are the deer doing crop damage in the area you hunt! I'm just curious as to why there is such a need to reduce the population.
axiom
350 SE
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

grouse wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:54 am
Great job! I love reading these stories and trying to visualize the hunt that is described. Are the deer doing crop damage in the area you hunt! I'm just curious as to why there is such a need to reduce the population.
It's a "high end" lakeside neighborhood. The deer are over running the neighborhood eating all the plants etc. Doing damage to the homeowners landscaping. It's definately not a good population. I saw 1 small buck last year, and so far the 2 of us hunting only saw 1 small buck this year. Completely overrun with does. Buck to Doe ratio is way off. All my tags are for antlerless.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Congrats on the double! That's the most I've taken in one hunt with archery gear, though my son and I both doubled in the same day with my ExoMax.

Yes, high deer population areas are unique hunting situation. You certainly get more opportunities, so more chances to hone your skills. If a deer busts you, the season isn't lost and not even that sit. Some rules seem to get extremely relaxed like scent control or human sounds (leaf blowers), but others are just as difficult if not harder. I've found in these situations that a wise old doe is the ultimate target. They are just as wise in these situations and somehow have a way of avoiding getting in range.

Kudos for using the harvest to feed the hungry. It feels nice to be doing our part to manage the resource and helping to show hunting in the best light.
Last edited by DuckHunt on Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Awsome Keith glad the ghosblind has worked its definitely cool .just like a treestand you will get better with it. I'm still learning too.
I was just telling another member about how it's good to have something at your back such as a bush or dead fall and possibly a small bush in front to reflect on.
I love the treestand the most still but its definitely a cool tool to have.
After the first deer l was basically in the thought of ...it paid for itself already but now I'm on my 9th ghostblind kill and it's still giving back lol. Congrats... too bad the thing doesn't repel ticks it would sure sell itself more.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Good job buddy!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on the double its is awesome the dropped on the spot .
The x bow is a great tool for urban deer control.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Congrats Love these stories. I am still deer less, but working on it.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the 2 deer and helping feeding the hungry
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

mr meat wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:58 pm
Congrats on the 2 deer and helping feeding the hungry
X2 ... cheers!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
gunboy203

Post by gunboy203 »

Congrats Keith... Hope your luck continues....
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats on the 2 deer Keith that 1st one probably tried to duck your arrow our deer here in NC are super squitish. I hope you get a chance to put a few more down good luck my friend.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

nice going congrats keith