16.5" lighted quills opinions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

howie

16.5" lighted quills opinions

Post by howie »

I've read good and bad reviews on these on Cabelas, Amazon etc. Folks saying that the nocks push down into the carbon bolt and crack it. They don't light. They can't turn them off.
Looking for some opinions here on the 16.5 lumenock. How do you turn them off after they light up? Any issues with them pushing in the shaft of the bolt?
I just got an Axe 340 and only have the 3 bolts that came with it. Looking to get some more but hesitant to pull the trigger on the lumenocks.
otisbrazwell

Re: 16.5" lighted quills opinions

Post by otisbrazwell »

noproblems here. use a 4"length of rubber fuel line that fits over the knock and shake it a few times or dm arrow pliers :thumbup:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Howie,
I've been using Lumenoks for years now in Black Eagle arrows. Black Eagle makes the current Quills. I will say that they are tough for some to turn off, but this is a good thing. The Lumenoks turn on by pushing into the arrow and lighting up as wires on each side touch the shaft. If they were easier to turn off, they would likely go out every time they landed. Even now, I've had them turn off when hitting a hard backstop like a tree or rock. If they hit HARD, the bounce back can cause the nock to back out just enough to turn off.

Turning them off isn't tough once you get the hang of it. I just firmly pinch the nock between the thumb and index finger and wiggle it back and forth. It make take a half dozen wiggles, but eventually it will turn off. It doesn't take much. Of course, this is very easy to do using any type of arrow pullers because you can get a tighter hold on the nock. If you have to wait until you get home to turn it off, that's not a big deal because they will stay lit for a day.

As for cracking arrows, I haven't seen that happen at all and I'm sure I've sent them downrange hundreds of times. I even use them frequently during practice sessions.

I'd recommend testing a few shots with your broadheads on them. If the lighted Quills have aluminum inserts up front, and I think they do, they will be light up front. If you're using 100gr heads, then mechanicals heads may shoot best. With fixed heads, you may have better luck with something heavier. That's why many of us use custom arrows with brass inserts up front. We give up a little speed, but gain penetration and can use just about any broadhead.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

If your hands are old and beat up like mine, this little device works pretty dang good at turning them off. There are other styles and brands. Is one better than the other? Probably not. It's a personal thing. :lol:

You can pick these up for less than $10 bucks on eBay.

How do I keep track of it in my bag of "goodies" I tote around? Simple!! I simply slide it onto the shaft of another arrow in my quiver. Problem solved. That way it's always there when I need it!!

I've shot a bunch o616.5's at a lot of things. Never had any issues with the carbon busting from the Lumenok.
You will want to shoot your arrows with the nocks installed. They are heavier than the aluminum flats, thus making a difference in POI over "stock" arrows.
I shoot Black Eagles too. 110g brass up front. 2' Blazers in the rear. Lumenoks as tail lights and 100g mechanicals in the snout!!! As long as I do my job, this combo does it's!! :thumbup

Hope this helps!!

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

AJ01 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:17 am
If your hands are old and beat up like mine, this little device works pretty dang good at turning them off. There are other styles and brands. Is one better than the other? Probably not. It's a personal thing. :lol:

You can pick these up for less than $10 bucks on eBay.

How do I keep track of it in my bag of "goodies" I tote around? Simple!! I simply slide it onto the shaft of another arrow in my quiver. Problem solved. That way it's always there when I need it!!

I've shot a bunch o616.5's at a lot of things. Never had any issues with the carbon busting from the Lumenok.
You will want to shoot your arrows with the nocks installed. They are heavier than the aluminum flats, thus making a difference in POI over "stock" arrows.
I shoot Black Eagles too. 110g brass up front. 2' Blazers in the rear. Lumenoks as tail lights and 100g mechanicals in the snout!!! As long as I do my job, this combo does it's!! :thumbup

Hope this helps!!

AJ
I did not know these existed and will invest in one. I like Lumenoks for many reasons but sometimes they are hard to turn off and stay off. Sometimes I finally get one to go out, put it onto my quiver, then it comes back on. Maybe this little device will turn them off more securely.
axiom
350 SE
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

grouse wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:48 am
I did not know these existed and will invest in one. I like Lumenoks for many reasons but sometimes they are hard to turn off and stay off. Sometimes I finally get one to go out, put it onto my quiver, then it comes back on. Maybe this little device will turn them off more securely.
I've had that happen too!! They can be a bit pesky at times to "turn off". That's why I picked one of these things up. No problems since. I think you will find this comes in quite handy!! Glad I could pass on a helpful hint. :D

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Go to their web site and it will explain everything you want to know about them . I use them with my 405 nd never had a problem.
W.M.
howie

Post by howie »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions! I'm using 150 grain bolt cutters. Regarding foc with the lumenocks, I'm hipiy I should be ok???
Also, what is your source for the black eagles? I'm going to Google, but thought I would ask.
Thanks again
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Look at Wyvern Creation Crossbows. Dave will make you any type you want. Good guy to deal with. :thumbup:
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

small section of fuel line with a slice down the side works fine and its not $10.some times the horse
dont drink the water :eusa-dance:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

otisbrazwell wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:04 pm
small section of fuel line with a slice down the side works fine and its not $10.some times the horse
dont drink the water :eusa-dance:
Otis.... you're from Rhode Island, what do they know about horses in Rhode Island ???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

My luck I'd try to use the fuel line on something and then complain cause it leaked. :wtf:

The neon green is just easier to find in the dark!! And as for the $10 bucks, I spend more than that on Copenhagen every week!!! :lol:
But the gas line is a good cheap alternative!!! :thumbup: :wink:

Just the incoherent ramblings of a Redneck from East Texas!!! :mrgreen:

AJ