Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Lucky-Dog

Re: Montec CS accuracy problem

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Boo wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:31 pm
Lucky-dog. Broadhead alignment is the most over looked component of accuracy
https://youtu.be/__duPM7CfrA
If you point your broadhead to one side at launch, guess which way it’s going to go?
Well thats a neat trick to know.
Its been too many years since Ive messed with this stuff, and I too am out of alignment. lol
Thanks for the link.
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Got a chance to get a few rounds in this morning before the rain gets here.
So I verified my field point accuracy again, and dead on.
I took my best (less wobble) arrow with the broadhead attached to it, and it doesnt hit with field tip accuracy, but it does consistently stay within 1" in any given direction.
Im alright with this for now, and Im thankful that the problem is not my bow.
At least I have one good arrow to get some meat for now.
Im going to seriously consider getting a couple of new arrows in the near future, with Blazers or something similar w/helical, and heavy (brass) FOC.
Thanks again for all the help.
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

IMO I would try and get some spine matched and indexed arrows... Or shoot aluminum shafts.. I have a Cub and couldn't get great broadhead groups with any Carbon arrows until I built my spine indexing jig or used 2219 shafts.. Now my broadhead arrows don't shoot the same as field points, however they do shoot very consistently.. 1 1/2 inch groups easily out to 40 yards without an issues..
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

There is a definite need to shoot spine matched and indexed bolts with a crossbow to get good accuracy. Jerry at South Shore Archery does an excellent job of building near perfectly matched sets of arrows. They are not cheap, but you will hit where you aim,so you won't be loosing them. As far as broadheads alignment goes, I use Ramcat broadheads because they use small o-rings to align themselves with the inserts and shaft. There's other tricks you could probably do to get as good of alignment too, like a layer of tape on the broadhead's thread shank.

https://www.southshorearcherysupply.com/index.php
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I think indexing is a waste of money. I have not seen any benefit from it, and have proven to several friends that have paid for it, then shot non indexed arrows with the same accuracy. Get a rabbit foot, or lucky penny, same result with less $$. If you’re going to be shooting past 50 yards, you might be 1/8” closer. JMHO. Your farm, your chicken.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:17 am
I think indexing is a waste of money. I have not seen any benefit from it, and have proven to several friends that have paid for it, then shot non indexed arrows with the same accuracy. Get a rabbit foot, or lucky penny, same result with less $$. If you’re going to be shooting past 50 yards, you might be 1/8” closer. JMHO. Your farm, your chicken.
I would tend to agree with this....at least for hunting purposes. And especially with very stiff arrows like a Zombie Slayer etc. And add to that a shorter arrow like for a Micro. I mean my 16" ZS arrows do not flex much at all.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

Indexing makes a difference when shooting my crossbow arrows over 500 fps :)
More arrow stresses involved.
Note : not an Excalibur....
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Normous wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:39 pm
Indexing makes a difference when shooting my crossbow arrows over 500 fps :)
More arrow stresses involved.
Note : not an Excalibur....
Norm, I suspect every aspect of arrow building makes a difference at over 500 fps.😁
Normous

Post by Normous »

Some of my simple precision tools used.Image
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

For most of us, :lol: :lol: it makes very little if any difference.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The cabellas lazerstrike 2 has a simple fast opening o ring system and a nice wide cut.
I know you like the fixed blade but l have shot clean thru about a dozen deer with them in my vixen 2 that is about 260 fps pretty much your speed.
I'm shooting the 125 grain and a zombie with a heavy 110 insert.
The beauty of this setup is that l can verify within 1/2 inch accuracy of my field points time after time.
Never even actually shoot the broadheads for practice anymore they are that close.
Saturday l shot clean though a big doe with a swat A-4 mini also...dead deer in 30 yards.
Some people knock the expandables in lower fps bows that some just rob energy and don't pennitrate good.
Might be true and l have found it true also but lf you pick the correct combo there is no compromise with pennitration.
And the pia fixed blade problems are gone.
I have seven bows lts not timely possible to play around with numbered bolts and all that indexing trouble .
Its just easier to shoot a expandable that shoots great in all of them.
Last edited by longbow joe on Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

nchunterkw wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:52 pm
xcaliber wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:17 am
I would tend to agree with this....at least for hunting purposes. And especially with very stiff arrows like a Zombie Slayer etc. And add to that a shorter arrow like for a Micro. I mean my 16" ZS arrows do not flex much at all.
Agree or not, the crossbow will show larger arrow group size because of a spine weakness and lack of indexing. The differences in spine orientation between each arrow being fired is magnified the further that you shoot. This is especially true for those shafts that have weighted inserts and use heavy heads to take advantage of the benefits of weight forward of center, because those shafts do flex more.

Here's a great slow motion video showing the arrow flexing of the rail at the shot. The credits and shooting action in the video start at 1m32s.

https://youtu.be/dTh7qSy1O-o
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Spine indexing changes nothing within the arrow components except vane placement. The attempt to predict hysteresis is the attempt of indexing, is there a real gain, yes. Is it noticeable or controlled, nope. Maybe at long distance or very short distance where flexing may be consistent, but there have been reports that spine changes after a few shots. Again, your farm, your chicken!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

The video is cool but it's mostly showing crossbow vibration. You dont see alot of flex in that arrow...as compared to much longer weaker spined vert bow arrows. Don't get me wrong I understand what you are saying and , no doubt matching spine and indexing will have an effect, I'm just saying that the effect is minimal with a very stiff arrow. I shoot big fixed blade broadheads and occasionally have to change the vane in the rail if an arrow is out by 1" at 40 yds. But on most of my arrows (16" Zombie, 110gr brass insert, 125gr BH 2" feathers) changing the vane in the rail makes no noticeable difference....or at least the difference is within the normal shot to shot variation caused by me. Weaker spined arrows will certainly show the effect of indexing (or lack of) much more. My advice is always to shoot the stiffest arrow you can find....for a crossbow where archers paradox doesn't come into play
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

Short and stiff off the shelf BE arrows we shoot at reasonable Excalibur hunting distances perform rather consistent it has been shown, thanks mainly to BE's quality control.
Once we lengthen crossbow arrows like the ones I use for my Scorpyd and subject them to much higher speeds and dynamic stresses, indexing improves arrow uniformity, especially at longer target ranges.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings