Montec CS accuracy problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Lucky-Dog

Montec CS accuracy problem

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Im shooting a Cub with Diablo's.
With field tips Im getting pin point accuracy every single time. I try my Montec CS and they hit erratically in any given direction, using any of my different arrows, from around 1 to 3 inches from field tip accuracy, and this is no further than 20 yards.
Several years ago I used Montecs, and they've always hit the nail on the head for me back then.
I dont prefer to try any tuning of any kind at this time.
So has Montecs changed, or can someone suggest another fixed blade that is very popular for having out of the package field point accuracy ?
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
gerald strine

Re: Montec CS accuracy problem

Post by gerald strine »

I would recommend more weight up front for hunting , most hunters here end up getting bolts with brass front inserts of 90 grains or more.
The standard bolts are light arrows to get the advertised speed on the bow not necessarily the ultimate hunting shaft they preform better with a heavy head in the 150 gr area , such as the Slick Trick 150 gr X-Bow trick, an excellent Broad head.
Good shafts like Zombi slayers and Executioner's with a brass insert , will give you more broad head choices and I am sure would work fine with the Montec.
I am old school and shoot aluminum shafts with a 175 grain head , aluminum insert up front ,plastic in back , squared shafts , very heavy bolt will not set any speed records but outstanding penetration.
Last edited by gerald strine on Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

gerald strine wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:52 pm
I would recommend more weight up front for hunting , most hunters here end up getting bolts with brass front inserts of 90 grains of more.
The standard bolts are light arrows to get the advertised speed on the bow not necessarily the ultimate hunting shaft they preform better with a heavy head in the 150 gr area , such as the Slick Trick 150 gr X-Bow trick, an excellent Broad head.
Good shafts like Zombi slayers and Executioner's with a brass insert , will give you more broad head choices and I am sure would work fine with the Montec.
I am old school and shoot aluminum shafts with a 175 grain head , aluminum insert up front ,plastic in back , squared shafts , very heavy bolt will not set any speed records but outstanding penetration.

Oh wow, I forgot about good old Slick Tricks.
I remember talking to the owner years ago, on this forum I believe, when he first started. He mailed me some to try out, and I remember talking to him on the phone as well, as he seemed like he was a great guy, and he loved to talk.
I checked out their website prior to responding to your comment, and man theyve come a long way since then.
Im glad you mentioned them, and I like your suggestion of using more weight up front. I think I will try the heavy 150g Crossbow Broadhead...
https://slicktrick.net/collections/broadheads/products/crossbow
Next year, I might consider upgrading to some custom arrows with the brass inserts as well.
Thanks
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Slick Trick used to make a 175 grain head and that is what I shoot with no brass insert but the 175 weight is no longer in production.
I have a few unopened packs that are my go to head.
The short bolts need some weight up front to get what is referred to as a good F.O.C ,Front of center balance for stable flight .
The 150 grain head should help tighten your groups It helped me when I started out with Fire bolts and upped my weight up front .
Don't get me wrong the stock Excal bolt will kill deer all day long at reasonable yardage, and most hunters have gone to carbon bolts and do not shoot aluminum but aluminum is so easy to change components and repair I prefer it , heat and hot melt will repair dinged nocks ,inserts in the field in no time, no issue with glues or torn fibers, splinters.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

P.S. If you have the custom bolts with the brass inserts you would not really need a 150 grain head and could shoot a 1oo grain Montec I am sure with great results or a 100 grain Slick trick, the Slick trick is 4 blade and I believe the Montec 3 blade I will choose the 4 blade with the power of a cross bow.
I really like the rugged build and quality of the slick trick x bow head, it has preformed excellent for me on at least 15 deer, some of the big mechanical heads my drop them a bit shorter if every thing works as it should but a fixed head always preforms as it should . One thing less for "Murphy" to get involved in.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

gerald strine wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:01 pm
Slick Trick used to make a 175 grain head and that is what I shoot with no brass insert but the 175 weight is no longer in production.
I have a few unopened packs that are my go to head.
The short bolts need some weight up front to get what is referred to as a good F.O.C ,Front of center balance for stable flight .
The 150 grain head should help tighten your groups It helped me when I started out with Fire bolts and upped my weight up front .
Don't get me wrong the stock Excal bolt will kill deer all day long at reasonable yardage, and most hunters have gone to carbon bolts and do not shoot aluminum but aluminum is so easy to change components and repair I prefer it , heat and hot melt will repair dinged nocks ,inserts in the field in no time, no issue with glues or torn fibers, splinters.

gerald strine wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:23 pm
P.S. If you have the custom bolts with the brass inserts you would not really need a 150 grain head and could shoot a 1oo grain Montec I am sure with great results or a 100 grain Slick trick, the Slick trick is 4 blade and I believe the Montec 3 blade I will choose the 4 blade with the power of a cross bow.
I really like the rugged build and quality of the slick trick x bow head, it has preformed excellent for me on at least 15 deer, some of the big mechanical heads my drop them a bit shorter if every thing works as it should but a fixed head always preforms as it should . One thing less for "Murphy" to get involved in.
Yes the FOC, and it wasnt until you mentioned it, that I remembered that I use to have a heavy FOC come to think of it. I believe I had some bolts called Spynal Tapps with brass inserts, and blazer vanes.
I know I had brass inserts for sure and that might be why I had better accuracy with the Montecs as you mentioned. I will consider the Slick Trick for now and possibly custom arrows for next season, so I can try both broadheads. Your response reminded me of several things I use to do with my old brown vixen several years ago.
Thanks for your help.
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Another thing to check is make sure the arrow isn't straight fletched it will need some helical to fly the broadheads, fieldpoints will shoot fine in a straight fletched arrow but fixed broadheads will not.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

not sure if mentioned here ,but have you spin tested the arrows with broadheads installed ...if inserts are not installed square or BH is not true accuracy will suffer !
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Farmer wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:42 am
not sure if mentioned here ,but have you spin tested the arrows with broadheads installed ...if inserts are not installed square or BH is not true accuracy will suffer !
Yes all arrows have been checked.
Thanks
Hester0305 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:02 am
Another thing to check is make sure the arrow isn't straight fletched it will need some helical to fly the broadheads, fieldpoints will shoot fine in a straight fletched arrow but fixed broadheads will not.
Just from looking they appear to be offset, not helical.
Thanks
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If your arrows fly well with field points most likely the squareness is good. Spin them with the heads installed and see if they wobble. It’s also very common to have to make adjustments for the heads before hunting. I would recommend that with the best arrows you have in terms of grouping. Get a pack of Cabelas Lazer Strike/ Bass Pro Blackout mechanical heads, they are $19.99 for three heads, fly great, and work very well on deer.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Two questions.
Have you shot one arrow repetitively for accuracy?
Have you checked tiller?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

Two questions.
Have you checked tiller?

BTW, 3" at 20 yards is nothing to write home about. One inch or less is what I would expect at 20 yards.
roly

Post by roly »

Also number your fletchings and try different cock vanes to see if you get any better consistency.
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:23 am
If your arrows fly well with field points most likely the squareness is good. Spin them with the heads installed and see if they wobble. It’s also very common to have to make adjustments for the heads before hunting. I would recommend that with the best arrows you have in terms of grouping. Get a pack of Cabelas Lazer Strike/ Bass Pro Blackout mechanical heads, they are $19.99 for three heads, fly great, and work very well on deer.
I would really prefer to stay with a fixed broadhead.
I havent tried to spin the arrows with broadhead attached, but might try that later.
Thanks
So before I submitted my reply, I thought Id go ahead and try spinning with the broadheads attached.
Out of the four arrows that spin the best with a field tip, only one doesnt wobble with a broadhead, and I tried all the broadheads on all the arrows.
I marked that one arrow that doesnt wobble and Im going to try it out in a few days and see how it hits.
Its been too many years since Ive this stuff. Im out of touch.
Thanks
Boo wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:29 am
Two questions.
Have you checked tiller?

BTW, 3" at 20 yards is nothing to write home about. One inch or less is what I would expect at 20 yards.
Yes, well actually I have two arrows that shoot perfectly each and every time with field tips, out of my four best arrows.
The tiller is dead on.
I agree with the 3" problem at 20 yards.
Thanks
roly wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:22 am
Also number your fletchings and try different cock vanes to see if you get any better consistency.
I might give that a try next time I get out to shoot.
Might be a few days as we are expecting rain next couple of days.
Thanks just the same.
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
Boo

Post by Boo »

Lucky-dog. Broadhead alignment is the most over looked component of accuracy
https://youtu.be/__duPM7CfrA
If you point your broadhead to one side at launch, guess which way it’s going to go?