What do you think of a Longhorn?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

What do you think of a Longhorn?

Post by XB I GO »

We know a rancher that has 11,500 acres in W. TX. He said his fence went down in August but was quickly fixed. Ever since then he has a longhorn cow on his ranch. He said its not his and its not branded. He only has heifers. The man said this longhorn is kind of spooky and runs from the truck. Just recently he has started seeing it regular with his game camera on a water tank. The longhorn seems to come drink with the Pronghorns. The owner said if my brother and I want to "hunt" it we can come anytime until the end of the year. At the end of the year he is going to get rid of it whatever way. So, do you think this is something we can tackle with our Excalibur crossbows? There's an archery blind at the water tank for bow hunting deer and antelope so it looks like we can be 20 to 25 yards from it. I asked my Dad but he said "do your research and then decide what you want to do". So, this post is a research project! Are longhorns good to eat like a regular cow? Thanks!
ComfyBear

Re: What do you think of a Longhorn?

Post by ComfyBear »

Are longhorns good to eat like a regular cow?
Here's your answer.

http://naturallonghornleanbeef.com/nutritional-facts/#:~:text=Natural%20Lean%20Longhorn%20Beef%20is%20definitely%20good%20news%20for%20your%20healthy%20lifestyle.&text=They%20are%20lower%20in%20saturated,they%20don't%20have%20fat.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

“ Hamburger Bull” you may need a bigger freezer!😎
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I can't decide for you....but that would be a great way to help hungry people in need...and there are a lot of them right now because of the pandemic.

If this is something you would be interested in, check with some local food banks etc, or processors that help FHFH (https://www.fhfh.org) as they would know of places that would take the meat once ground up and frozen. Then donate some or all of it.

If you hunt it, I would say an arrow setup like I used for bison would work well.

2 blade fixed BH like a 150gr Magnus Stinger and an arrow around 550-600gr

Then get some diagrams of longhorn cows and figure out where the heart is and try for a good heart shot.

Good luck. I have faith that you will make a good well thought out decision no matter what you do.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

nchunterkw wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:33 pm
I can't decide for you....but that would be a great way to help hungry people in need...and there are a lot of them right now because of the pandemic.

If this is something you would be interested in, check with some local food banks etc, or processors that help FHFH (https://www.fhfh.org) as they would know of places that would take the meat once ground up and frozen. Then donate some or all of it.

If you hunt it, I would say an arrow setup like I used for bison would work well.

2 blade fixed BH like a 150gr Magnus Stinger and an arrow around 550-600gr

Then get some diagrams of longhorn cows and figure out where the heart is and try for a good heart shot.

Good luck. I have faith that you will make a good well thought out decision no matter what you do.
Great reply. :thumbup:

Good luck Kid, sounds like he's having deal done one way or another, and you get the experience, and knowledge, also helping someone else. Win / Win. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I would think all info you need to kill it is readily available. The question I would have for you is have you lined up a truck or trailer to haul it off as well as loading it on the trailer? How about a back up plan with a rifle just incase you make a bad shot?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

I'd go for it! But it would be best to build heavy bolts in the upper 550-650 grain range if you are planning to shoot the thing. Also, practice "seeing" where the heart is on them, and aiming, and shooting in between ribs to get the best penetration to said heart for a quick kill. Getting just a double lung shot on a beast like this may take a while to die. I shot a cow buffalo a while back with my compound vertical bow. I made special weight-forward arrows at 525 grains, but probably should have went a bit heavier. The shot glanced slightly off an on-side rib and went through the heart and aorta, exiting through the scapula on the other side, to hang up on the fletchings on the other side hide. It was a perfect shot and she bucked around for a few and succumbed to gallons of blood loss within 30 seconds. This was a best case scenario shot. Other's put multiple shots into them before they go. Be sure to post up some pictures for us!
grouse

Post by grouse »

The advice given above about broadhead type and arrow weight is all sound. That said, you have a weapon that will easily take care of this animal. Just remember that Native Americans (First Nation to our Canadian friends) used stick bows with 30 - 35 lb. draw weights to shoot arrows made from the straightest pieces of wood they could find tipped with sharpened rocks (which were actually very sharp). They killed bison or they died - and they did it for many many years. Your Excal is powerful and high tech and I'm sure you can shoot it well. You can certainly do this!
axiom
350 SE
artifact

Post by artifact »

Yea, but the buffalo probably looked like a porcupine with the multiple arrows sticking out of it until they finally got it!
Just food for thought! :lol:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I heavy arrow with a good BH liked described above will do just fine. Bison and cows are pretty different. Bison bones are like stone. My old processor in OH told me he cut up 1 for a guy and never again. Had to replace all his saw blades because the bones tore them up. That said, I put a RamCat through one from 30yds with my Micro. Around 525gr total weight and it went right through the near side rib into the heart. Blood EVERYWHERE.

A flatbed trailer and a winch will due for loading it up, and I would guess there are meat processors nearby given his location
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Just get a 150 gr. Crossbow broadhead.

Slick Trick STX150 Xbow Trick 150 Grain 1 1/8-Inch Cutting Diameter,

Sight in your shooter!

Put it where it needs to go !

No doubt you'll be grillin up some longhorn steaks.