Broken bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sb14415

Broken bolts

Post by sb14415 »

I've got a Micro 355 shooting Firebolts at 335fps. I've killed several deer with Montec G5 fixed blades as well as turkeys. This year I decided to try Rage broadheads. This past weekend I killed 2 bucks. Both were lung shots. One was a fairly level quarting away shot and the other was about 45degree down quartering towards. When I recovered both deer I found my bolt was broken off in both. One had 14 inches with fetching the other 6 inch with fetching. The entrance wound was a typical Rage cut into the ribs and the exit was a jagged half inch round hole. I contacted Rage who blamed the incorrect bolt since they never heard of bolts breaking. I didnt want to get into it with her about bolts. I thing the expanding rage when it passes through the ribs opens but catches on the rib causing the bolt to deflect which stresses the shaft causing it to break. Again same bolts but with G5 fixed and no issues. Ideas?? At $35 a broadhead and bolt things get expensive
Boo

Re: Broken bolts

Post by Boo »

A deer’s reaction to the shot will be to get out. In doing so, I think their legs swipe back and break the shaft as it is passing through. I’ve had it happen once and I was pretty unhappy as well but if you think about it there’s not much you can do. Shoot a bit back and or higher might mean longer tracking jobs. Tougher shafts will be a lot heavier. I would for sure dump the broadheads and get broadheads that are known to pass through rather than stay in the deer and get broken.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sb14415

Post by sb14415 »

Good point. Now that you mention it I dont recall if the G5s were passthrough. WV recently changed to 16in min bolt length. Maybe the shorter bolt speed will give passthrough. this weekend I'll be meat hunting for covid layoff families. I'll see if the G5s are passthroughs
Normous

Post by Normous »

Yup, leg on shaft caused this breakage.
Very normal in our game.

50 million arrows are built yearly in the worldwide arrow manufacturing business because arrows are not built to last forever, especially when exposed to the stresses going through an animal .

I still see a broken arrow caused by the front leg swiping back at 500 fps.
A double carbon wall Aero Concept may help but adds cost and offers no guarantee.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Interesting point, I have often thought that crashing through brush was the main problem but this makes more sense.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
catclr

Post by catclr »

If you use a very sharp fixed broadhead pass through should be the norm and the arrow have none or less problem with arrow shaft.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I agree its probably the leg thing.also some big expandables don't pennitrate as well .
Not being wise at all but if you were lucky to place the shot as you did everything correctly and were rewarded with a clean kill the bolt and broadhead did its job and owe you nothing.
The other day l launched a brand new zombie /swat/ and luminock at a running coyote and missed by 2 inches and lost the whole thing in the river....l was pissed but it was an awesome rush one l couldn't have got with that money spent on drinking or something stupid.
This hobby can get expensive sometimes you just got to except it.
Just be proud you were rewarded with the recovery and did good.
If l shoot a deer in the ghosblind even with my vixen l rarely ever see the bolt again ....its gone n thru the deer and down in the swamp lol. Broken shaft n gone shaft is the same thing. I guarantee that a zombie 🧟‍♂️ shaft will be a little harder to break than the one you are using now.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

longbow joe wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:04 pm
I agree its probably the leg thing.also some big expandables don't pennitrate as well .
Not being wise at all but if you were lucky to place the shot as you did everything correctly and were rewarded with a clean kill the bolt and broadhead did its job and owe you nothing.
The other day l launched a brand new zombie /swat/ and luminock at a running coyote and missed by 2 inches and lost the whole thing in the river....l was pissed but it was an awesome rush one l couldn't have got with that money spent on drinking or something stupid.
This hobby can get expensive sometimes you just got to except it.
Just be proud you were rewarded with the recovery and did good.
If l shoot a deer in the ghosblind even with my vixen l rarely ever see the bolt again ....its gone n thru the deer and down in the swamp lol. Broken shaft n gone shaft is the same thing. I guarantee that a zombie 🧟‍♂️ shaft will be a little harder to break than the one you are using now.
Yep! I got a rush the other day too! I had a couple of coyotes slinking through the brush along my food plot. I made a squeak with my lips and one does a right turn right towards me at 45 yard. It was walking towards my blind and I had to take a quick shot. I heard a really loud crack and it stood there stunned and looked disoriented. It spun around and ran into the bush. I had to pack up early because it was in the woods bowing and barking louder than any coyote I ever heard. I think my BEA with a Swat broadhead smacked its head and glanced off. It sure was pissed! The howling and barking went on for over half an hour or more. As I got in my truck and left it was still going on! Lost a few bucks but it was worth the rush!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Lol thats funny boo. You gave him a concussion!
I would have lost another bolt stalking him down
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

longbow joe wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:11 pm
Lol thats funny boo. You gave him a concussion!
I would have lost another bolt stalking him down
I never knew that a coyote could get mad at me! :lol: :lol: