My own little piece of dirt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

howie

My own little piece of dirt

Post by howie »

Long post...sorry in advance. For the past 10 years I have been searching for my own hunting land. My goal was to have it before I turned 50. Then 4-1/2 years ago I was blessed with a grandson that intensified my search. I wanted someplace I could take him that would be our own. I had some specific criteria that others may find odd, but hey, it's my $. Lol. Due to health issues with some family members, I wanted cell service and wanted it within 1/2 hour of home.

Looked at many properties over the last few years. Only made an offer on one. They refused it and we were unable to negotiate a deal.

Saw a small 5 acre piece of property listed near me but never paid much attention to it. Decided to check it out on the county GIS website. Saw that it borders the National Forest. And saw that there was no public access to the forest within miles of the property. Found the contact info for some of the neighboring properties and spoke to them about the hunting in that area. They said they rarely see anyone there other than the couple other property owners. I contacted the realtor to go check out the property. I was mainly interested in the forest there since 5 acres isn't a whole lot for hunting. The lay of the land was very nice. There was a small stream on the back of it and lots of deer sign up through the forest. Took the wife with me on another trip and she loved it. She was picking out places to park the camper on the property.
After some haggling back and forth they accepted my offer. Looking forward to making huntin & camping memories with the grandson. (And the rest of the family lol)
Hopefully we'll build a small cabin there and sell our current home in about 10 years when it's time to retire. I know 5 acres isn't much when it comes to having huntin land, but as I said, I like it for the hundreds of acres of forest that my Uncle Sam allows me to hunt that will be out the back door.

As far as the goal of doing it before I turn 50, I'll hit that benchmark in a month.
janesy

Re: My own little piece of dirt

Post by janesy »

That's awesome, Congratulations!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
grouse

Post by grouse »

We bought our first farm when I was 36 and it was one of the best decisions we have ever made, both financially and recreationally. I'm sure you and your family will enjoy it!
axiom
350 SE
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My in laws own a lot of land, less than their family used to, but still about 38 acres of woods. A lot of it is hard to get to now since the farming part has been sold off. We typically hunt about 8 acres of that land on occasion, and probably 90% of the deer taken over the last 30 plus years came out of this small area. 5 acres can be plenty if it's in the place deer want to be. Good luck, and congrats!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Congratulations on finding that piece of dirt you have been searching for. Hoping you and your family make some great memories out there.
Take care
Hatchet
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Congrats!! Nothing like having you own place to hunt. You can do whatever you want to it and don't have to seek permission from someone else to improve it where it suits you!! Good luck!! :thumbup:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
gunboy203

Post by gunboy203 »

Congrats on finding your own land to hunt on. I understand what you were going through as I have been searching for the same thing now for a few years but just can't find anything.