335 cracked limbs 4th set with new riser.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Phillyarcher

335 cracked limbs 4th set with new riser.

Post by Phillyarcher »

Not sure what is going on with there quality control on there limbs. I bought the Micro 335 when it first came out and up to last year I had no problems, Since this time last year this will be the 4Th set of limbs that cracked. The last set they sent me a whole new front with the new riser. I was told that these new limbs would be good. I have about thirty shots on these limbs and last night the one limb splintered while I was in the tree. Here’s what I’m shooting arrow wise. Stocked quills , NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain , and lumenoks so my arrow weight should be good. I really like the Micro and Excalibur Crossbows. I also would like to say they have great customer service. But this is really disappointing that now I will be with out my Xbox until this gets taken care of again. In the past I have dealt with Woodys here in Pa. but they went out of Business. Now I’m going to have to find a good pro shop here that deals with Excalibur. Any information would be appreciated.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
howie

Re: 335 cracked limbs 4th set with new riser.

Post by howie »

Sorry to hear this. I hope you don't get crucified the way I did when I posted about the cracked limb on my 2 week old Axe. How old is your Micro 335?
Also, I see guys mention the "gen2" limbs for the micros. I have no idea what they are or if mine had them new. Are you familiar with them? If so, was your most recent set the gen 2?
Most will probably advise you to contact Excalibur yourself and do the RMA. Me personally, I dealt with a local, reputable shop so I could deal with them. If mine was several years old I probably would have contacted them myself.
Good luck with whatever direction you go.
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

Thanks. I have had it for a good few years now. I have dealt with Excalibur customer service on the other limb failures. I did start a new RMA# with them again. I’m just surprised that this is still going on with there limbs it’s been a few years now. I just hope this will not happen to other guys for this season. Hopefully it will not take long to get this resolved.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
janesy

Post by janesy »

That sucks. I recommend you guys contact Dawn directly, that's what she's there for and she's great at her job. But it is crazy busy.

Regarding Gen2 Limbs. The CRT GEN2 Limbs were introduced in the past year or too. My AXE came with them and it was pretty close to first batch. That was August 2019.
Essentially the are molded with complete strands of fiberglass from end to end, and the mold tolerances were greatly reduced to eliminate and grinding or shaping of the limbs. As this cuts strands and weakens the strands. Further the are thicker at the base and do not thin out until the are outside of the limb pockets. The previous limbs started to taper or thin out inside the pocket.

With that said, two of my three bows use old first limbs, including my AXE. And my 370 only now got new limbs for a cosmetic lift. It's original Gen1 limbs are still going strong after 3-4 years on the riser.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

Make sure you seat your arrow on the string. It is easy to not seat for various reason. Nocks get nicks in them and sometimes the arrow retainer doesn’t hold the arrow in well enough. It is possible to load correctly and then walk to your stand and loosen your arrow.
Most small splinters at the corners of the limb or the face of the limb occur from semi dry-fires. My 440 has a small splinter that surfaced right after the string got cut causing a semi dry-fire. I know it won’t affect anything so I’ll deal with it in the new year.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

That's exactly why I will NOT use plastic nocks from now on! I noticed on a few flat nocks that after a few shots that they start to get deformed! That causes a partial dry fire like Don said! We a learn the hard way.
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

bigbowman wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:00 pm
That's exactly why I will NOT use plastic nocks from now on! I noticed on a few flat nocks that after a few shots that they start to get deformed! That causes a partial dry fire like Don said! We a learn the hard way.
Aluminum nocks will do it if you’re silly enough to shoot the same spot. But you are right Brian. I caught myself by second guessing and checking while shooting my 400 Suppressor. Sure enough, like you duly noted, there was a burr in the nock from the string. Almost!
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

Thanks guys for your information. I appreciate it.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

Boo wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:54 pm
Make sure you seat your arrow on the string. It is easy to not seat for various reason. Nocks get nicks in them and sometimes the arrow retainer doesn’t hold the arrow in well enough. It is possible to load correctly and then walk to your stand and loosen your arrow.
Most small splinters at the corners of the limb or the face of the limb occur from semi dry-fires. My 440 has a small splinter that surfaced right after the string got cut causing a semi dry-fire. I know it won’t affect anything so I’ll deal with it in the new year.
Boo ,
I load my arrow when I’m walking in and take it out while I get in the tree. Once I get situated I then reload the arrow and I always check to make sure it’s against the string. I’m just surprised after all the years I had the Micro and then last year I went thru all of the limb failures. I thought after I got the new set up I would be good. Well when I get the new limbs I will install and see what happens.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My only rear nocks these days, Black Eagle with the radius on the edge. If I lose an arrow, it's usually stuck in a deer. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, these are my Go To!

[url=https://postimg.cc/mhg05GkS]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Phillyarcher wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:20 pm
Boo wrote:
Boo ,
I load my arrow when I’m walking in and take it out while I get in the tree. Once I get situated I then reload the arrow and I always check to make sure it’s against the string. I’m just surprised after all the years I had the Micro and then last year I went thru all of the limb failures. I thought after I got the new set up I would be good. Well when I get the new limbs I will install and see what happens.
It was not an accusation. It was a just a possibility for anyone. I’m not 100% but I think the newest Micro limbs started at the beginning of this year. What they offer is less possibility of cracking across the limb at the riser causing the limb to slowly fold.
A Flemish string is easier on limbs. How much is difficult to quantify but it sure does feel like it when shot.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Look on the Philadelphia Craigslist and buy a used
Axiom,ibex,Phoenix ....you can buy one for 300 bucks and you just might like them better than your micro anyway...
Like it better or not a backup bow is a great investment and peace of mind.
This year I'm shooting a matrix sapphire just 30 fps slower than a micro small and compact and a whole lot more reliable with the slightly wider matrix limbs.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Forkston

Post by Forkston »

All I have to say is read my last post on this forum about limb problems
janesy

Post by janesy »

Forkston wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:05 pm
All I have to say is read my last post on this forum about limb problems
Limbs and Latches, yep we know how you feel.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

Boo wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:29 pm
Phillyarcher wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:20 pm
Boo wrote:
Boo ,
It was not an accusation. It was a just a possibility for anyone. I’m not 100% but I think the newest Micro limbs started at the beginning of this year. What they offer is less possibility of cracking across the limb at the riser causing the limb to slowly fold.
A Flemish string is easier on limbs. How much is difficult to quantify but it sure does feel like it when shot.
Boo ,
Thank you for your info. I listen to you guys about your knowledge of the Excalibur’s Xbox’s. What I said in my last comments I picked up from you and other guys on the Forum about to check for when loading arrows. I’m just hoping Excalibur figures the limb issues out soon.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR