Loctite

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Phillyarcher

Loctite

Post by Phillyarcher »

Question I know some guys on here use this product. Someone told me to use the Loctite blue 242 instead of regular loctite. What’s everyone’s opinion.
Thanks
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
xcaliber

Re: Loctite

Post by xcaliber »

Blue 242 will come loose when you want it to, the red stuff is considered permanent, and can be a major task to get loose when needed. I use the blue stuff, no problems.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

Thanks I kinda figured that but shooting the Micros I wasn’t sure which one to use.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
grouse

Post by grouse »

I see no reason to use loctite at all on a crossbow. I tighten down hard by hand and that's it. Crossbows have little or no recoil. I talked to a gunsmith last year who said he quit using loctite years ago on anything. He just cranks everything really tight and hasn't had any problems. I think he's right.
axiom
350 SE
janesy

Post by janesy »

I use blue GEL loctite on anything I don't frequently remove, and nail polish on anything I do. Technically I should be using purple on the small screws, but the blue works, and this tube will last the rest of my life LoL.

I'd highly suggest that you educate yourself on how to properly use thread sealant before using it as it can make matters way worse. It definately a less is more situation. I find the gel makes is easier to apply the correct amount without making a mess on the little screws

Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have gone exclusively to the VIBRA TITE 111 purple threadllocker product. It is a light to medium duty product and perfect on our crossbows and the little screws we use

https://www.vibra-tite.com/threadlockers/low-strength-threadlocker/vibra-tite-111-low-strength-threadlocker/
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

grouse wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:42 am
I see no reason to use loctite at all on a crossbow. I tighten down hard by hand and that's it. Crossbows have little or no recoil. I talked to a gunsmith last year who said he quit using loctite years ago on anything. He just cranks everything really tight and hasn't had any problems. I think he's right.
As an auto mechanic I have to fully agree. Just proper tightening is all you need. Physics principles of fastener stretch is really what keep things together like wheels where no loctite is ever used or needed for that matter. After all, your connecting rod nuts/bolts have no loctite. In fact some performance connecting rods like Corrillo use specs that require the engine builder to measure the bolts at rest and then tighten the nut until the bolt stretches a certain amount.
The only place in cars where we ever used loctite is on rotational/vibratory areas that might leak fluid and loosen nuts like output shafts in diffs, transmissions and engines.
I use loctite on limb bolts, recoil bracket bolts and scope rings where almost all the vibration occurs. I mostly use green loctite which is a post assembly fluid on the exposed fastener ends. Works great and has the same holding power as blue. If everyone would tighten scope base screws enough and check them yearly, we wouldn't have some accuracy problems.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:09 pm
grouse wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:42 am
As an auto mechanic I have to fully agree. Just proper tightening is all you need. Physics principles of fastener stretch is really what keep things together like wheels where no loctite is ever used or needed for that matter. After all, your connecting rod nuts/bolts have no loctite. In fact some performance connecting rods like Corrillo use specs that require the engine builder to measure the bolts at rest and then tighten the nut until the bolt stretches a certain amount.
The only place in cars where we ever used loctite is on rotational/vibratory areas that might leak fluid and loosen nuts like output shafts in diffs, transmissions and engines.
I use loctite on limb bolts, recoil bracket bolts and scope rings where almost all the vibration occurs. I mostly use green loctite which is a post assembly fluid on the exposed fastener ends. Works great and has the same holding power as blue. If everyone would tighten scope base screws enough and check them yearly, we wouldn't have some accuracy problems.
You guys are both correct obviously. However, we have to assume that the vast majority of crossbow owners do not have the correct tools to work on them let along the knowledge and or understanding of how fasteners work.

The reason I use thread sealant is that the fasteners we are dealing with here are not always the highest grade, and the material holding them does not always have the same integrity from part to part. And no torque specs to go by any.
Further, nobody ever replaces a scope ring screw every time they change a scope. And often cheap aluminum scope rings won't allow for the correct torque to be applied repeated even if you wanted to.
Most of the specific bolts/studs used on the engine internals mentioned are one time use only. We don't have that requirement here.

So I use a bit of sealant as best practices assembling I can and never look back.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

I agree Chris but no amount of loctite will hold a fastener that is lose to start with. We see it in the complaints all the time. But then, I know first hand that there are a lot of people who shouldn’t be installing their snow tires. :roll:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Boo wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:02 pm
I agree Chris but no amount of loctite will hold a fastener that is lose to start with. We see it in the complaints all the time. But then, I know first hand that there are a lot of people who shouldn’t be installing their snow tires. :roll:
Yep! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:02 pm
Very true Don. It is not a glue :lol:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Just my Dos Centavos again....but I quit the Loctite thread lockers YEARS ago. Clean and degrease threads ,internal and external, use a tooth pick to apply Loctite brand Clear silicone ( can get it in a toothpaste size tube at big box stores) to male threads. Install as normal. Tomorrow it will be set up to a rubber like solid. Screws will never back out, but if you want to take them out just get your driver and take them out. Easy Peazy. You don't have to make this difficult. Life can be easy. Now go kill sumpin"! :lol:

A gunsmith here in Ft. Worth showed me this in the late 70's. Maybe the best trick anyone has ever showed me.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Yup, agreed!
CLEAN and DEGREASE all manufacturing oils since manufacturing oils contribute to fastener creep when exposed to vibration.

Supplied and purchased fasteners most often have oils to prevent rust during storage and transport which ideally should be removed or Murphy sets in at the worst time.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

I have used the Loctite 242 for many years on crossbows and scope ring screws. It works well within its limitations as long as you properly degrease first, however, it is a pain to clean up if you later want to disassemble. Recently I came across Vibra Tite VC-3 and have started using it for fasteners that see vibration and that I want to keep together. Seems to give enough resistance to keep things from loosening up when you don't want to look into tolerance stacking and other fun things like thread classes and thread elongation to maintain pressure.

https://www.vibra-tite.com/threadlockers/removable-reusable-threadlockers/vibra-tite-vc-3-threadmate/

You are able to apply it to the fasteners ahead of time and let it dry. The nice thing is that it is able to be loosened and retightened several times before you would need to reapply. It cleans up fairly easily with a dremel and a wire brush if you want to remove it and it works on just about any size fastener. Looks similar to some of the threaded bolts that have a bonded plastic patch to prevent loosening once it dries out. Seems to work well so far although I have not seen test data from a shaker table on it yet. Definitely an interesting product to look into as an alternative to the usual threadlockers.

Norm, if you read through the technical data sheet on the Vibra Tite 111 they have a note near the end that mentions the VC-3 can be used as an alternative.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
Normous

Post by Normous »

Good eye shaffern :thumbup:

I chose the VT 111 over the VC-3 since I was able to buy the VT 111 at a slightly lesser cost.

I met Tom Lapinsky ( from Troy Mi) the sales manager from VT last year at the ATA show and he was willing to give me a good tutorial of their products and also generous as he hooked me up with Distributor pricing for my attention.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings