Fixed blade broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ankh

Fixed blade broadheads

Post by Ankh »

Looking for opinions on fixed blade broadheads. I would like 150 grain if possible. Looking for real life experiences on blood trails and damage caused by heads. I've had great luck with swhackers, but have had a keep it simple mentality lately.
Micro 335 nightmare, Axiom
Swhacker 150 grain, zombie slayers
Wants: micro ultra lite, adj. stock, take down, good trigger, good scope , low 300 speed to keep "cockable" w/out crank
nchunterkw

Re: Fixed blade broadheads

Post by nchunterkw »

I like Slick Trick Magnums and RamCats. RamCats leave a great blood trail IMO but are only 125gr. With a 110gr brass insert though that works well for me. Slicks come in a few options.

Magnus also makes good quality heads with lifetime replacement.

I've been looking at new offerings and there isn;t a ton of new heavier fixed blades out there.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

All I use anymore are Wac em 100 gr. fixed 3 blade crossbow broadheads. Most deer die in sight or within about 25yds .I keep my total weight arrow about 400gr. with brass inserts.
Last edited by bobcattrapper on Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

Delete
Last edited by bobcattrapper on Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Everyone has their favorite. I recommend you get 125 grain heads, they are easy to find. I'm going to try these with my Vortex next year in the fixed position. These can be used as a mechanical also, but the fixed option looks great to me. Here is one true fact about fixed heads.
They kill if sharp, and if they hit where you want them.
The one true thing that i have found over the years, the faster the bow, the more erratic some heads get. Practice to your maximum shooting distance with the heads you choose, and go get em! I like these because they fly great, and the Ferrel is massive! Hardened steel too, made here!

Next Fall for me!
[url=https://postimg.cc/MnSGQbJ0]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

For a 150... Boltcutters and Slick Tricks are both very good and fly great.
Last edited by flinthead on Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Slick trick x bow trick is awesome it gets my vote have many harvest with them.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

Slick Trick XBOW 100 grain with 110 grain brass inserts have been incredible in my AXE 340.

2 big bodied bucks this year with them
Normous

Post by Normous »

Another well flying US made compressed 4 blade head is offered by.

www.toothofthearrowbroadheads.com

Milled from solid piece of high carbon steel and heat treated.

If I'm privileged to hunt XBOW moose in Canada this fixed BH will be threaded to the serious end of my arrow.

As a bonus , this company will send you one of their finest test sample heads in 1" or 1 3/16 for $1.99.

Their 1 3/16" head is avaiable in 100, 125 and 175 gr.

Price is right too :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Ramcat 100's & 125's are the best flying Fixed head made. I've taken around 6 deer now with them in my slower bows(Vixen2/Micro 308) and all have had pass throughs with great blood trails proportional to shot placement. No broken blades but tips on the 125grainers will curl or bend when hitting bone. IMHO this flex is what allows the blades to give and continue forward and I highly prefer a blade that is not over hardened/tempered and snaps easily. I am still using the same 3 ferrules of each over and over as they simply don't bend and still spin true even when putting them into trees when missing target. The replacement blades are cheap and I've found that running the sturdier shorter 100 blades on the 125 ferrule is what I like on the slower bows to prioritize penetration and only have to stock one blade for both weight ferrules I use across my bows.
The ONLY downside to them is like all Fixed blades (which makes me nervous with kids walking around in blinds etc). I have no problem using them in the stock 4 arrow Excal quivers but am limited to 2 in the center positions as the 2 positions on the end contact the blades with the hood. I only bring 2 arrows anyways, but if I wanted to carry more I know there are tons of other quiver options..especially the old cheap Kwikee quivers etc.

As far as expandables..The Rocket Steelheads are the best flying head money can buy. With a small cutting diameter they pass through with the slowest 40# compound bows out to 65yds .. The Sidewinder and other Models with longer ferrules if one wants a bigger cut.
Only downside to them is that the Trophy Ridge Versions came with blades that were over hardened/tempered and are prone to breaking rather than bending on heavy bone. The older Rocket brand heads would bend easily but never broke a single blade in 20 years..The Trophy ridge versions, I've had a single blade broken on at least 50% of the last 10 deer and coyotes I've shot(all encountered large bone with that blade)..

After shooting Ramcats over the last few years, I am slowly gravitating towards them (as my supply in Rocket blades diminishes each season). FWIW, the Ramcats and Rocket Steelheads(ones that spin true) ALL group with my FP's out to 50yds.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Normous wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:44 am
Another well flying US made compressed 4 blade head is offered by.

www.toothofthearrowbroadheads.com

Milled from solid piece of high carbon steel and heat treated.

If I'm privileged to hunt XBOW moose in Canada this fixed BH will be threaded to the serious end of my arrow.

As a bonus , this company will send you one of their finest test sample heads in 1" or 1 3/16 for $1.99.

Their 1 3/16" head is avaiable in 100, 125 and 175 gr.

Price is right too :thumbup:
I checked out www.toothofthearrowbroadheads.com and those are great looking heads.
I like the 175 grain option solid blades , I make my own bolts old school 2219 aluminum shafts and the 175 grain slick tricks have been big medicine for me.
The tooth of the arrow 175 grain head is another nice option but I like the replaceable blade option on the slick tricks.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

For me it is the Magnus Ser razor 125 with 110 inserts they are sharpend on all 4 sides and so is the bleeder blade a very strong head and it flies good.
W.M.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

125 ramcats from my m380 fly like dats and cut huge holes....using a Zombie Slayer arrow with 110 gr. Brass insert in front
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Farmer wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:54 pm
125 ramcats from my m380 fly like dats and cut huge holes....using a Zombie Slayer arrow with 110 gr. Brass insert in front
That's my setup too. 16" ZS, 110gr brass, 125 Ramcat. Hit exactly with field points and leave an amazing hole. Been hunting with both those and 150gr SLick Tricks and the blood trail difference is real. Much more with the RamCat. I also had a SLick deflect inside a deer. I think that long ferrule with no real chisel point to it had something to do with it. Maybe why they don't make them anymore.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><