Kid got an 8 point buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Kid got an 8 point buck

Post by xcaliber »

That's the good news. I shot a doe and lost her. The hunt was a great time, I would do everything the same every time, I just must have made a bad shot. Perhaps I hit a twig, etc. but the blame goes on me. I was ill feeling all morning, and we exhausted every effort to find her. Anyway, here is how the hunt went.
The kid is trying to hold out for a nice buck, and he got one I think, but I have just one doe tag in my pocket, and I'm wanting to kill a deer with my handgun. We leave for the farm at 3:40 this morning, get into our stands at early thirty. Nothing until 9 am Eastern Time which is one hour ahead of us at home. A small buck prances by, then a nice buck, and a doe, the doe is trying to distance herself from the buck, but he ain't shaking. I could have shot him several times, he was just acting stupid. The doe would not present a shot. They prance off. 15 minutes later they come back with the wind blowing up their tail pipes, and the doe gives me a 35 yard broad side shot, BANG. She dives into the dirt likes she's down, finally gets her back legs under her, and runs past the kid. About 20 seconds go by, and I hear BOOM, the Kid dropped the buck. He says the doe was bleeding real good, but it looked like I blew her front leg up at the shoulder socket, no vitals! He said it looked like maybe 3" too low.
Here is the buck though.

[url=https://postimg.cc/2b5mwmcf]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
gerald strine

Re: Kid got an 8 point buck

Post by gerald strine »

That is a fine buck !
To bad you could not recover the doe that was a long poke for a hand gun.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I wish I could use that excuse, but. Screen shot of picture from 100 yards, solid rest, but the bad shot is all mine.

[url=https://postimg.cc/rDFkcqTR]Image

[url=https://postimg.cc/5X1tzcVf]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Dan,
if a hunter says it has never happened to them they are lying or ain't hunted long enough. shake it off, stuff happens and a good share of the time the reason is never known.

nice buck for the kid, congrats to him :!:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yep....no worries Dan ..the crossbow seems so efficient after shooting the longbow ...l had a great success rate of getting my deer after shooting them but I had spent all nite and the next morning finding them thats why I'm reluctant to go back even though my shoulder is pretty much healed now.
At 55 l just want to shoot the deer and home.
There is no shame in not getting the deer you made a good effort to find it thats what counts. I just tell myself that thousands of them get hit with cars n trucks everywhere so we do the best we can.
Go wack another one that's basically all you can do.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Tell the kid congrats!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Nice Buck!! Congrats on that!! :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

But not finding the Doe...well, rest assured. It has happened to me too!!! I agree with Deaf Jeff. You tell me you ain't never shot a deer you couldn't find, and I'll ask you if you just started hunting last week!! :wink:
Sometimes it matters not what you shoot them with or where you hit them. Adrenaline is gonna make that animal haul butt!!! And they will end up in some places you'd never find. Everything has a "fight or flight" survival instinct built into them. When that kicks in, hang on!!

Anyway...it's to bad you didn't find the Doe. But Coyotes gotta eat too. :lol:

BUT...DON'T SWEAT IT!!! Compost occurs!!! :lol: :lol:

Now get out there and fill that freezer!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:55 pm
That's the good news. I shot a doe and lost her. The hunt was a great time, I would do everything the same every time, I just must have made a bad shot. Perhaps I hit a twig, etc. but the blame goes on me. I was ill feeling all morning, and we exhausted every effort to find her. Anyway, here is how the hunt went.
The kid is trying to hold out for a nice buck, and he got one I think, but I have just one doe tag in my pocket, and I'm wanting to kill a deer with my handgun. We leave for the farm at 3:40 this morning, get into our stands at early thirty. Nothing until 9 am Eastern Time which is one hour ahead of us at home. A small buck prances by, then a nice buck, and a doe, the doe is trying to distance herself from the buck, but he ain't shaking. I could have shot him several times, he was just acting stupid. The doe would not present a shot. They prance off. 15 minutes later they come back with the wind blowing up their tail pipes, and the doe gives me a 35 yard broad side shot, BANG. She dives into the dirt likes she's down, finally gets her back legs under her, and runs past the kid. About 20 seconds go by, and I hear BOOM, the Kid dropped the buck. He says the doe was bleeding real good, but it looked like I blew her front leg up at the shoulder socket, no vitals! He said it looked like maybe 3" too low.
Here is the buck though.

[url=https://postimg.cc/2b5mwmcf]Image
I have never made a bad shot :eusa-liar: :eusa-liar:
that's my story and i'm sticking to it...... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dave :lol: :lol:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Looks like an old fighter from the antlers and scars. Nice one!
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Great deer! Congrats
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

That's a nice 8!
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
gunboy203

Post by gunboy203 »

Congrats on a nice buck... Like its been said if you have hunted long enough that will happen....