Newbie Sighting in micro 360 beyond 50 yards

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Skubasteve

Newbie Sighting in micro 360 beyond 50 yards

Post by Skubasteve »

Hey guys newbie here, first post.

As the title says I’m having some difficulty sighting in beyond 50 yards, looking for advice.

I’m shooting the lumenok quill bolts, with a 150 grain field tip for a total weight of about 400 grains.
It’s a brand new micro 360 td pro with a tact 100 scope.

I’m sighting in on a bench in a gun vise, and I can get my 20/30/40 & 50 pretty much bang on.
As soon as I tried at 60 I was high and right.

To back up the story a bit, I was sighted in last week and finished off at 60 yards and was hitting pretty damn good. I took it out mid week to try a 100 yards shot and missed completely. Had time today, and tried at 70. It was good left / right but high and almost off target so I didn’t go any further.
I know I’m not shooting a deer at that range so I thought I should double check my important ranges. They were off and needed adjustments. So I got my 20-50 all good then for some reason at 60 it was pretty far off. I ran out of time today but just curious as to what you guys might think it would be.

Is it as simple as fine tuning the speed ring ? Even though I’m good at the closer distances?
I feel like I don’t want to adjust it too much cause my important ranges are where I want them, but I would also like to shoot 60-100 just for S and G’s.

Thanks
xcaliber

Re: Newbie Sighting in micro 360 beyond 50 yards

Post by xcaliber »

Remember, the changes you make are minimal at closer distances. If you are shooting with a solid bench, aim at 60, and shoot, then aim at 60 and zoom your scope the 60 mark is on the arrow. You should be good to go. Shoot backing out to check the closer marks. I would rather be an inch high at 20 yards than 2" low at 40! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

What I do is sight in at 20 yards. Once I’m absolutely perfectly on at 20, the horizontal (up/down) is never touched.
I stack 2 targets at 40 and put an aiming point at the top of the top target.
I back off to 40 yards and shoot at the top aiming point.
I hold the crosshairs on the top aiming point and turn the speed ring until the 40 yard chevron coincides with the arrow.
I then take a 60 yard shot and use the speed ring to fine tune the scope.
Be sure you aren’t canting (use a level).
Repeat for targets further out but do not touch the horizontal scope turret. You may have to use the vertical (left/right) turret because of what Dan eluded to. Any errors show up further out.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Welcome to the forum! Make sure you check your scope base screws for tightness. Check all of the others too.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
roly

Post by roly »

X2 on the screws
Changing poi could be loose screws.

Also your new string could be stretching which would change your brace height and possibly effect your poi.

Welcome.
Skubasteve

Post by Skubasteve »

Hey guys thanks for the advice so far. Screws are tight.
I just feel like I’m missing something, that my 20-50 is on when I shot 60 is was quite a jump.

Another newbie question non related. I don’t get any notifications when I get replies to my post, I just happen to come back and check. I tried going to my profile settings and all my notifications are enabled, any ideas on that one lol ?
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

The scope is calibrated to a specific arrow trajectory. Different arrow setups have different trajectories. Sounds like yours doesn’t match the scope exactly. I thinks it’s rare that the arrow yiu shoot and the scope match perfectly. I have a Hawke scope on my bows and my exact yardages are something like 20,31,42 for my reticle. You can mess with the speed ring and move the “30” and”40” around. If you are perfectly on left right at 20,30,40,50 then no real reason it should be off at 60. But if it’s kinda ok but moving around the clock dial at those ranges then the arrow is planing. Flying in more of a loose spiral than flying like a dart. The further you go the wider the spiral and it will hit all around the dial. Try 35,45,55 and see what happens. My thought is it’s an arrow problem
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Don't worry about getting notified about a post, just stop in 10x a day like the rest of us do! :eusa-dance:
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline