The Kid doing his Euro Mount

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

howie

Re: The Kid doing his Euro Mount

Post by howie »

Stab 'em wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:54 am
He's doing a great job on that mount. Those pieces do typically fall off of them when boiled, as do the teeth. They are glued back in place when done being boiled with wood glue and allowed to dry together for a good fit. I do my euro skulls with bugs in the summer by burying the fleshed skull in a small pit filled with clean sand and covered with a box or wheel barrow to keep rain and dogs off it. The bugs take a couple of weeks usually, and the skull needs whitening also but nothing comes apart this way.
I assume you skin the head before burying it?
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

I do euro mounts for myself in a similar manner. I get the head when I drop the deer at the processors. I have a cable in the woods and I tie it from a tree and around the rack. I don't skin it or anything. I check it every month or so. In a couple of months it's spotless. No hide, no flesh. If I dont tie them, they get drug away. This time of year the squirrels don't mess with them. If you leave it laying around in the early fall though the squirrels will naw on them.
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
janesy

Post by janesy »

I've only boiled a couple so far but I researched it like crazy. It the nose and teeth fall out you've boiled it to long. And the yellow spots are from oils from the flesh were not removed first and essentially got boiled into the pores of the bone.

However, if you DO boil it until the teeth are loose but not falling out easily, it's not overboiled. But if you pull the teeth and clean out the sockets and roots. There is a considerable amount of meat that stays in there and can cause odors. Then glue them back in.

You can also add borax, oxy clean, detergents to the water but each one add issues that you need to pay attention to as they almost all end up softening the bone if not done right.

As far a whitening, again, lots of options from bleach to commercial whiteners. All of which have ups and downs. For me peroxide was the safest and least amount of work.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

janesy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:05 pm
I've only boiled a couple so far but I researched it like crazy. It the nose and teeth fall out you've boiled it to long. And the yellow spots are from oils from the flesh were not removed first and essentially got boiled into the pores of the bone.

However, if you DO boil it until the teeth are loose but not falling out easily, it's not overboiled. But if you pull the teeth and clean out the sockets and roots. There is a considerable amount of meat that stays in there and can cause odors. Then glue them back in.

You can also add borax, oxy clean, detergents to the water but each one add issues that you need to pay attention to as they almost all end up softening the bone if not done right.

As far a whitening, again, lots of options from bleach to commercial whiteners. All of which have ups and downs. For me peroxide was the safest and least amount of work.
Can you post a pic of how white your skulls turn out using that blue or purple stuff you mentioned..
janesy

Post by janesy »

After boil

After 3 nights in peroxide. Sorry for the crappy pic. I have to hang them in my Son's room or my wife will throw them out. He's sleeping or I'd go snap one right now

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Ontario Savage wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:20 pm
Can you post a pic of how white your skulls turn out using that blue or purple stuff you mentioned..

Here, I snuck in and grabbed it. I would have done this one a little more, but I stopped for two reasons, first it starts to look unnatural the more white it goes, personal opinion. And second, I used a lot of oxy clean which was a huge mistake. A lot of the thin bone was deteriorating from inside out and I didn't want to mess with it any more. If you flip the scull over you can almost see through the bone in a couple spots.

This one I pulled the teeth and hit them with peroxide separately, you can see in the first pic how the teeth don't really clean in the boil at all

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

howie wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:44 am
Stab 'em wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:54 am
He's doing a great job on that mount. Those pieces do typically fall off of them when boiled, as do the teeth. They are glued back in place when done being boiled with wood glue and allowed to dry together for a good fit. I do my euro skulls with bugs in the summer by burying the fleshed skull in a small pit filled with clean sand and covered with a box or wheel barrow to keep rain and dogs off it. The bugs take a couple of weeks usually, and the skull needs whitening also but nothing comes apart this way.
I assume you skin the head before burying it?
Yes, you should get as much of everything off and out of there that you can. Including brains, upper pallet, cheek and lower jaw muscles, eye muscles, etc.. This makes for far less work for the bugs and less time in the sand pit/box, and far less potential for rotting flesh and staining. A good fleshing job makes your final cleaning and whitening far easier.

To whiten them up and remove residual odor I use peroxide and bag the head, tying the bag tightly around both antlers so it does not whiten the bases. Then pour in as many bottles of peroxide as it takes to have cover and soak the entire bagged skull and work it's O2 magic.
This removes smells that peroxide paste painted on can't reach. Never use bleach as it keeps eating/rotting the bones.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Stab 'em wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:45 pm

To whiten them up and remove residual odor I use peroxide and bag the head, tying the bag tightly around both antlers so it does not whiten the bases. Then pour in as many bottles of peroxide as it takes to have cover and soak the entire bagged skull and work it's O2 magic.
This removes smells that peroxide paste painted on can't reach. Never use bleach as it keeps eating/rotting the bones.
That's a good idea, do you use regular peroxide or stronger cosmetic stuff?
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

janesy wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:48 am
Stab 'em wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:45 pm

That's a good idea, do you use regular peroxide or stronger cosmetic stuff?
Regular pharmacy peroxide has worked fine for me. But I am not trying to make my skulls unnaturally bleached white either. A bit of natural bone color remains when I like to stop soaking.

To add a couple other things I do:

Use compressed air and wand to blow out the bugs and residual fleshy matter from cavities. This reduces possible odor problems and makes easy work of cleaning out bugs and larvae.

Also, after blowing it out with the air I wash and scrub it. Then I do two or three bagged flushes with the peroxide, so as to get the initial gamey smell gone with the first and second batch of liquid and then whiten to the desired tone with the final soak.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Looks great Chris, I’ll share with the Kid.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I have been doing Euro mounts for many years and some times the nose bones fall off no big deal I just glue them on with clear craft glue or fletch tight.
As for the boiling I use water , dish soap and borax powder a few water changes between scraping.
For final whitening 40 volume peroxide that is used in beauty salons is the way to go brush it on to apply, use gloves and safety glasses it is strong stuff
It does not harm the bone like bleach would but it will be as white as can be, you need a beauty license to buy the stuff or have to sweet talk a hair dresser.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

janesy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:48 pm
Ontario Savage wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Here, I snuck in and grabbed it. I would have done this one a little more, but I stopped for two reasons, first it starts to look unnatural the more white it goes, personal opinion. And second, I used a lot of oxy clean which was a huge mistake. A lot of the thin bone was deteriorating from inside out and I didn't want to mess with it any more. If you flip the scull over you can almost see through the bone in a couple spots.

This one I pulled the teeth and hit them with peroxide separately, you can see in the first pic how the teeth don't really clean in the boil at all

Looks awesome thanks for sharing
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Awsome. Looks pretty deeply involved my mountin Mike's plastic scull is for me!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.