BEST WESTERN STATES FOR PUBLIC LAND HUNTING FOR RESIDENTS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

BEST WESTERN STATES FOR PUBLIC LAND HUNTING FOR RESIDENTS

Post by CT.HNTR »

I have been living in the Northeast all my life and am getting frustrated with the hunting opportunities. I hunt whitetails but it's all ambush hunting from treestands and I would enjoy spot and stalk hunting much better. Starting to think it may be time to move to a different part of the country so I can enjoy some different types of hunting. I am thinking somewhere out west.

I am interested in getting some feedback on hunting out west and would like everybody's thoughts regarding the best states with the best public land opportunities for residents.

Thanks in advance.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
AJ01

Re: BEST WESTERN STATES FOR PUBLIC LAND HUNTING FOR RESIDENTS

Post by AJ01 »

Depends on what you want to hunt and how much you want to spend.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Elk and either Mule deer or Whitetail.

New Mexico seems interesting as they have tons of public land, don't have a preference point system and they make sure 84% of tags go to residents so I am thinking it would be a little easier to draw a tag. They also have pronghorn which is of interest.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

CT.HNTR wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:37 pm
Elk and either Mule deer or Whitetail.

New Mexico seems interesting as they have tons of public land, don't have a preference point system and they make sure 84% of tags go to residents so I am thinking it would be a little easier to draw a tag. They also have pronghorn which is of interest.
Elk...
Rifle or bow? Last time I looked, you can use a crossbow, but it cannot have anything to "magnify the image", in other words, something like a "red dot" only in the scope type device.

New Mexico is a good place. If I were to hunt New Mexico, I'd look at the area of the Gila Wilderness, or around the Chama area. Areas of BLM Land can be found in these areas. Open to the public. Just remember, everyone else goes there too!!
Antelope tags can be bought over the counter IF, and ONLY if, it is to be used on private deeded lands.

Perhaps look at trying to get a tag from the folks at the Jicarilla Apache Reservation. This is a prime source of Elk and Black Bear as well as trophy Mule Deer.
It's run by the tribal council. You can go to their website for more information.
Also the Mescalero Apache Reservation has hunts on it too.
None of these are going to be cheap. But they are first class.

For Mule Deer or Antelope, if I'm looking for a cheap (cost wise) hunt for these two, then I'd go Wyoming!! Pronghorn are everywhere, lots of public land. And the last time I checked, after the draw (in which nearly EVERYONE who puts in gets a tag) then you can get left over tags IF you have put in for the draw for regular tags. Antelope nonresidents run about $326. Try drawing into Unit 102 for trophy Mule Deer. :thumbup:
However...Elk tags are lottery draw. Good luck with that!! :thumbdown:

I use to hunt Colorado...A LOT!! But too many folks try to hunt there now. The Lottery is crazy, but the upside to this is that The Uncompahgre still holds some of the best Elk and Mule Deer hunting found anywhere. Antelope, not so much. Delta and Eagle County Colorado produce record book Mule Deer still!!

Of course that leaves Arizona. The #1 Bull Elk comes from AZ. Tags are like Olympic Gold Medals. But IF you could ever draw a tag, you would have a great chance at tagging a record class Bull. AZ also has world class Black Bear. Something about all the prickly pear cactus fruit they eat causes them to really grow!!

Any of the Western States are great. It's just getting the tags and making either the flight or the drive. But everyone who likes to hunt should give one of them a shot. No pun intended!!! :lol:

And on a side note.....For those who don't draw a tag, Nebraska and South Dakota offer Archery and Muzzleloader tags OTC for Mule Deer!!! Just saying!! :D

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Thanks AJ this is very helpful information. It sound like you have done this before once or twice :)

I have a friend who owns a fairly sizable piece of property in Wyoming near Medicine Bow so I might reach out to him to see what the deal is for non resident. I have been their to shoot prairie dogs but that's it. I have friends that live and hunt in Colorado but they get very frustrated not being able to draw the tags they want and then again with the heavy hunting pressure.

Never thought about Arizona and will check it out. I was in Tucson many years ago and really liked the area. One factoid about Arizona is that it has more poisonous animals per square mile than in other area on the planet :eusa-shifty:
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks