Blood on arrow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

Blood on arrow?

Post by W.Miguire »

Last eve. I shot a doe and had a good shot on her and when I found the arrow I started to doubt my shot . Got a camera on the bow and reviewed the shot . right in the lungs as I thought. good hit but there was not a drop of blood on the arrow just a couple of hairs and a loose vain. I was shooting my 405 and the shot was only 18 yds. just wondering if any of you folks ever had this happen . I think it went thru so fast it did not pick any up and I paint my arrows white just for that . : :wtf:
W.M.
xcaliber

Re: Blood on arrow?

Post by xcaliber »

Never had that happen, but the two I shot with the 380 I didn’t get a pass through.
Congrats on the doe Bill. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I shot a very odd rack 9 point one year looked one of those minature Maryland sika deer with a giant rothaar snuffer .
It was a perfect double lung shot but no blood . He ran about 70 yards no blood trail.
Good friends of mine came and grid searched the woodlot and we found him. Lots of blood at crash site but not on the way. Plenty good a cut to
As l always say some things are just not explainable in hunting.
It was a really cool trophy proving a trophy buck dosnt have to be giant.
You can only try your best to try and find it thats all you can do.
One time I shot a zwicky 2 blade right in the engine room of a buck and watched him run about 500 yards outta site over a big open area ....he went another 300 yards more l found him trailing on my hands and knees.
It was a good shot too total pass thru.l kinda blamed it on the whimpy 2 blade but lt still should have been Plenty good enough for a good kill.
Last edited by longbow joe on Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Some years ago when first started hunting I had similar experience.While using a compound bow, I shot at a deer about 20 yards away. Jumped up and ran about 20 yards and stood there for about 45 seconds and then just slowly walked away as if nothing happened. Had hair between the shaft and all three vanes but no blood. Still learning at the time, figured I over shot and the just glanced off the back.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Did you recover the doe?
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Oh yah we found her after we found first blood double lung. my ? was did you ever have a passthru with out any blood on the arrow . she bled good and did not go far. what thru ne off was not seeing any blood on the shaft . I knew I hit her good . that 405 is a fast and powerful bow.
W.M.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

We just tracked a deer for my Dad. The arrow went in behind the shoulder, came out in the white of the belly and then went through the back leg and stuck in the dirt. The arrow looked totally clean! The deer did not bleed for the first 15 yards and then left a little splatter every few feet and went about 50 yards. When we saw that the arrow went in, out, back in and out it was hard to believe it was clean and the blood trail was dinky.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Glad you found her.
A theory would be the arrow went through an area thats not blood rich. Sort of like you cut yourself good, look at the wound and then the blood shows up...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Glad you found her too.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
smokeeter

Post by smokeeter »

congrats on recovering the deer.
sometimes ( more common at ground level) the entry and exit hole is even and sometime a little high, the chest cavity fills up before any blood is spilled. Also if the deer is bookin it and it usually is the droplets are quite far apart and harder to locate.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

smokeeter wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:58 pm
congrats on recovering the deer.
sometimes ( more common at ground level) the entry and exit hole is even and sometime a little high, the chest cavity fills up before any blood is spilled. Also if the deer is bookin it and it usually is the droplets are quite far apart and harder to locate.
I hear this every year and will argue to the death this is not true. I hunt almost exclusively from the ground and have killed 7 this year so far. The only time there is no blood right at the spot where the deer was standing, or within 2 yards, is when the arrow does not pass thru. The circulatory system is pressurized, so blood sprays out. And the arrow drags blood along with it from the force of passing through, especially on the vanes.

If it were as you say, and a hit was 1/2 way up the body behind the shoulder, the chest cavity would have to fill uo almost 6" - 8" full before any blood came out. That would be several quarts of blood in the chest cavity. That would take awhile. Yet deer shot like this usually take off at full tilt and only make it 50 yards or so in about 5-10 seconds, and there is plenty of blood on the ground.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I understand what every one is saying . I have been bow hunting sence 1968 and this is the first time shooting my 405 that I found my arrow {it shoots so fast it goes forever and shooting from the ground they are hard to fine } I was just taken back to not find any blood on the arrow. I think it went thru so fast it did not have time to collect any . I understand all the theory behind the chest cavity being full of blood and filling up to come out the hole . It just seem odd for me not to see any on the arrow with a double lunger .
W.M.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

W.Miguire wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:03 am
I understand what every one is saying . I have been bow hunting sence 1968 and this is the first time shooting my 405 that I found my arrow {it shoots so fast it goes forever and shooting from the ground they are hard to fine } I was just taken back to not find any blood on the arrow. I think it went thru so fast it did not have time to collect any . I understand all the theory behind the chest cavity being full of blood and filling up to come out the hole . It just seem odd for me not to see any on the arrow with a double lunger .
W.M.
Hey Bill,
I agree with you. I've had one this year where the blood was light (black arrow and not much on my fingers when I wiped it), but there was blood on the feathers. I don't think the speed played a part though. It woudl be like shooting through a jug of water. No matter how fast it would still be wet. Maybe somehow the offside hide cleaned it some? Anything on the fletches?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I was thinken the same thing
W.M.
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I get that frequently, I’m a lung shooter.

I fire, sit tight, watch and listen. Usually dead within 35 yards. I stay put only long enough to get myself together then go after them. Most time I retrieve the bolt after I recover the deer and usually don’t even look for blood on the ground. I don’t mind if they are still alive, which they usually aren’t, because if it pressures them I find them easier.

I hunt in states with very liberal bag limits (1 per day) and I have shot truckloads with no or little blood on the bolt.