If you had to replace your crossbow...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: If you had to replace your crossbow...

Post by Boo »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:02 pm
Boo wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:47 pm
Welcome to the forum! While the Axe or Mag bows are a fantastic deal, my choice would be the 355 Suppressor. I’m actually toying with purchasing one myself.
400 Suppressor TD, which trigger is used in that model? Reviews? :eusa-popcorn:
The 400 Suppressor uses an ACP Trigger unit, the 355 Suppressor does not.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Any stores around you where you can get some hands on experience? Kind of like buying a shoe, you'll find the one that just fits. I know its like a kid in the candy store but what ever bow you decide will be a winner. What ever your hunting style you have, Excalibur has a bow to fit. Good luck to you but beware. Sometimes buying one Excalibur will lead to owning a few!!
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

I was all for picking up a 308 or something similar for 2021 but seeing a I already have two outstanding setups I am going to pick up a faster micro option,I like the suppressor 400 as of now but I really am not sold on the td feature. I am now waiting anxiously that they release a 400 fps micro without td this year. I'm buying something to add for sure. I want a 600 gr "bolt" smirk, with a 250 gr vpa 3 blade on the end. I already know what the 150 gr vpa on a 475 gr be arrow do,nasty.Happy Festivus!
Libtards make me sick, and I don't take orders from a forum rat who needs to go to a safe place. Get used to Conservative Right wing hard working Canadians telling you liberals to F off!!!!! :wave:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

L.C.B.H wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:39 am
I was all for picking up a 308 or something similar for 2021 but seeing a I already have two outstanding setups I am going to pick up a faster micro option,I like the suppressor 400 as of now but I really am not sold on the td feature. I am now waiting anxiously that they release a 400 fps micro without td this year. I'm buying something to add for sure. I want a 600 gr "bolt" smirk, with a 250 gr vpa 3 blade on the end. I already know what the 150 gr vpa on a 475 gr be arrow do,nasty.Happy Festivus!
I’m not a fan of the TD either but after really checking out the system it seems pretty good. Again something I don’t need but I’m not totally against the feature. My Matrix 380 does what this does in terms of speed and power and is easier to rope cock. I’m going to see what the new offerings are, but I’m really more interested in hunting with my Vortex and Matrix next fall.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
2019 Bulldog 440

Post by 2019 Bulldog 440 »

Driftless hunter wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:14 pm
If you lost your crossbow (stolen, house burnt/heaven forbid, wife sold it at her garage sale, etc...), what new crossbow would you buy to replace it & why?

Even though I am not new to bowhunting (35 years), I am looking to buy my first crossbow soon. I am drawn to the simplicity of Excalibur crossbows & their lifetime warranties.

I sort of miss the old days when most guys (not all) shot Muzzy or Thunderhead broadheads. You didn't even have to ask which one, except for maybe a 3-blade or 4-blade Muzzy. Today's market is saturated with choices. It can be overwhelming for someone starting out.

If you were staring over & I didn't own a crossbow, what current model would you be drawn to purchase?

Prior to hearing what others have to say, I am bit drawn to the price/features of the Axe/Mag 340.
The MAG340 in Kryptec Raid is one of the best Excalibur’s they have made. I have both the 2019 Bulldog 440 and the 2020 MAG340 in Kryptec Raid Camo and I love them both. I used the Bulldog and gotten a pass through on pretty much all Bucks I’ve shot at and recovered without a problem. I just got the MAG340 because I wanted something that I could use in a small blind or tree stand. I think for the most part, 340FPS is more than enough to get a pass through on all Deer however, I have not tried but if I was hunting a grizzly bear I would use my Bulldog 440 to ensure that I get a pass through and kill it with one well placed shot. The Bulldog is a stout crossbow but I don’t think you’ll need 450FPS chronoed on a Deer (with airbrakes and silencing gear with the exception of the ex shox ). In my honest opinion , I think that the MAG340 is the best priced crossbow in the market. It’s in a sweet spot for size, price, weight, power, and durability. You can get the Kryptec version for roughly $749 with all the silencing gear you need. I love both bows so it’s hard to say I would change the way I purchased my crossbow’s. I still love my Bulldog 440 but I don’t need it for every occasion but my MAG may not be enough to kill a 700Lbs bear. Maybe it will, I just haven’t tried killing a bear yet. I don’t know how I would possibly get it out of the woods so they’ve never been on my list. Now if I was in Africa hunting a Rhino or elephant I would want to have my Bulldog 440 for that hunt because of their tough skin but that’s about it.

I would just get the MAG 340 in Kryptec Raid because it comes with everything you’ll need! The regular price is about $599-$699 but they don’t come with the silencing gear which if purchased separately would cost you over $99.99 so even if you got the base line MAG 340 @ $699 and then spend another $149.99+ for the airbrakes/SDS kit they would come out to be the same price if not more. I was also real attracted to the Kryptec Raid Camo on the MAG340 as it is really unique. I don’t mind paying $49.99 extra for the color and it coming with all the silencing gear I would need anyways.

It really comes down to your taste and how much you want to invest in buying separate accessories and spending the time to install them by yourself. It’s not hard but I rather not have to take off the limbs to install new airbrakes.

If you already got a MAG340 in MOBUC and you need a brand new set of airbrakes please let me know at [email protected]. I have an extra set that’s brand new and never been use still in the original packaging I could sell you. I take PayPal and PayPal only unless you live around 21030 in which case I can meet you somewhere and avoid shipping. I currently have on sale on eBay so first come first serve.

Good luck!
Own:
2019 Bulldog 440 MOBUC
2020 MAG 340 Kryptec Raid
Wish:
to have the rest of the newer 2020 Excalibur crossbow’s with QLT. :eusa-violin:
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

I have a plan in place for checking out crossbows, & the owner of the archery shop has indicated his Excalibur crossbows should be restocked in a few weeks. Since he's sold out, I am just waiting to see what 2021 will bring, too.

I currently used a 2013 G5 Prime Impact compound bow. Prime offer free replacement cables/string every two years. I typically do better than 2 years. My local Prime dealer went out of the archery business completely. The next closest dealer that did my first replacement cables/strings in 2017 has dropped the Prime bow line up. Thus, I am having to search a bit farther for service. The free cables/strings are contingent on using a Prime dealer to order them. Thus, I have been in contact with a good archery shop that has an excellent reputation that carries Prime bows and Excalibur crossbows. I am planning to have them set up my 2nd free set of replacement cables/string on my bow.

My plan is to check out Excalibur crossbows while my Prime is being set up with new cables/string. The archery shop owner is willing to order the cables/string prior to my first visit. He's about 2 hours away. He's located in a community that I graduated from college from. Thus, I know the area well.

I am still leaning toward the Mag 340, because of price/value. I would surely consider the Bulldog 330, but I don't know if a side-by-side comparison will be in the cards? I have zero interest in paying extra for a TD model. I am very aware of the dealer only Mag 340, & that would be my starting point for sure.

When the 2021 line up is release, it may or may not change my focus? Others may have some input on that, too? It sounds like members are quite happy with the Mag 340 & Bulldog 330. I also know some other models are highly regarded. If I spent a lot of money on the top of the line crossbow (any brand), I would feel more inclined to have to stick with it for a long time. If I buy a more mid-price model, the thought of upgrading may be more appealing after a few years. I may just decide I am happy with what I have & take advantage of the lifetime warranty.

I am sort of doing that with my Prime Impact. Free cables/strings every two years for life is a a good deal for someone who doesn't upgrade every couple years. My Prime Impact was 343 fps compound when released. Today's offerings aren't that different, & now I have an interest in exploring crossbows. I am getting older. When late season requires more clothing, I may prefer a crossbow. Hunting from a blind at times with crossbow is becoming more appealing. I may find that I really like the crossbow & hang up the compound bow, too. I sort of banged up my shoulders this past year, too. Since I am pretty stubborn, I can still pull back my compound (not as fun, however).

I am giving the archery shop my compound bow information after Christmas, & they will order my new cables/string from Prime. When the Excalibur crossbows come in, I will be on my way there. The archery shop owner also some suggested a couple Wicked Ridge crossbows that were in the same price range as the Mag340. He wasn't pushing one brand over the other. He was just sharing what was popular last year. I think the Mag 340 & Wicked Ridge M370 were big sellers for him last year when I asked that question.

I feel a little better all this. I have decades of archery experience. Crossbows are just something totally new to me!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I'm 5'4" 150# had back and hernia surgeries and shoulders are bad...
I would shop round until I found another Matrix 310 since I like the aluminum rail 8)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

I hear that there is only 1 "new" bow for 2021 and price is right around $2300 Canadian. Guess It's the Micro Suppressor 400 td that will be coming home in a few weeks. I have been trying to fill a tag this week as I am on vacay :lol: this week but for some reason I can't bring myself to killing a nanny and I have yet to see one of the bucks I would shoot.One last hunt this afternoon and then I will be adding another to the collection and using the raid for a backup and the micro mag as a turkey hunting setup.

I can't say enough about the 340's,awesome little hunting bows, I just want another, and I figure if I am going to spend another grand,might as well just spend the extra coin and get the suppressor 400 td,at least I can justify another one.

Covey seems to be dominating......yet all the companies are raising their prices on equipment,too funny.I guess they think the liberal money train is going to pick up steam again and they can start picking it off(our) trees.
Libtards make me sick, and I don't take orders from a forum rat who needs to go to a safe place. Get used to Conservative Right wing hard working Canadians telling you liberals to F off!!!!! :wave:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

In my humble opinion, nanny’s taste better than tags. :lol: :lol:
Good luck with the bucks!
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

I would usually agree but I already have as much as I can eat in my freezer,I have had a great year so far,I may still take one later if I get a shot as I have a good friend who wants some pepperetes and summer sausage and I would just split the deer with him. I haven't shot a nanny since 2014, and that's the only one since 2006,I shoot Bucks, I just like using a doe tag on them.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

We can only take one buck in my state, must be great to have unlimited bucks! Here you are breaking the law using doe tags on bucks.
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

We get 1 tag,doe if we draw and can use it on either,I have drawn a doe tag every year but 1 since 2009 and only ever used it on one doe,2014.We can however party hunt and I have a few close friends and 4 family members who are hunters,some hardcore and a few that just hunt a few times.I was lucky enough to shoot a good buck hunting with my best friend Halloween morning and then I shot one during rifle season,when there was 3 of us hunting.They are more interested in meat.I am more interested in hunting from Oct 1 to Dec 31st,It has worked out great this year.I have 1 in my freezer and two my friends each have half a deer in theirs.

I have my own property and close to 2000 acres of a handful of other properties I have access to,we have hunted most of these properties for over 30 years. It hasn't been a great year for wall hangers but It happens,It looks like I will have some extra cash to spend as It seems unlikely I'll be taking a wall mounter today,but then again....you never know.that's why It is called hunting.
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

I can pick up a micro suppressor 355 in strata for $1200,4 bolts,tact 100 scope etc.I like the pattern and am considering that bow as well,I am not going to rush into the next purchase as I plan on keeping my 3 setups for years. I was informed they are only coming out with one new model but seeing as I am no longer on the informed part of the industry,I'll just have to wait.I like being away from the "inside".....It is a lot more fun just enjoying hunting and fishing instead of it being a career.