If you had to replace your crossbow...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Driftless hunter

If you had to replace your crossbow...

Post by Driftless hunter »

If you lost your crossbow (stolen, house burnt/heaven forbid, wife sold it at her garage sale, etc...), what new crossbow would you buy to replace it & why?

Even though I am not new to bowhunting (35 years), I am looking to buy my first crossbow soon. I am drawn to the simplicity of Excalibur crossbows & their lifetime warranties.

I sort of miss the old days when most guys (not all) shot Muzzy or Thunderhead broadheads. You didn't even have to ask which one, except for maybe a 3-blade or 4-blade Muzzy. Today's market is saturated with choices. It can be overwhelming for someone starting out.

If you were staring over & I didn't own a crossbow, what current model would you be drawn to purchase?

Prior to hearing what others have to say, I am bit drawn to the price/features of the Axe/Mag 340.
janesy

Re: If you had to replace your crossbow...

Post by janesy »

Pretty tough to beat the Mag340
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

You can't go wrong on anyone that you choose. Welcome to the forum.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Axe 340 or mag 340
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Mag 340. But I could be happy with any Excalibur. Also welcome to the forum.
Take care
Hatchet
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I can only have one??? Jeez!! You're joking right? Okay...I'll be serious. :eusa-think:
Make mine a Micro. Any one of them. They are great in a tree stand, perfect for a ground blind, and have the energy to take anything in North America with the right arrow and broadhead combination.

But then again, I'd take any thing Excalibur makes. :thumbup:

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

For the price, I would get a Mag 340
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum! I would have to say the mag 340 never held one but everybody seems to like them
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

340 Mag for sure
W.M.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yes, welcome to the forum, sometimes I forget my manners. I would look at the trading post here too. I'm going backwards and recently nabbed a Vortex. Yes a bit slower, and wider, but I'm a bit slower & wider too! :lol: :lol:
Look at some of the other models in the Post, a Matrix 315 would serve a fellow just fine, and not too hard on the back. Good luck, hope you stick around and get what you're looking for. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

It's hard to argue with the bang for the buck of the Mag 340, but if mine were all to vanish and I had to start over, I'd start with a Micro 340TD. If I got a Mag 340, it would be a matter of time before it was equipped like a 340TD minus the TD.

It's looking like we're almost at a consensus on how much speed is really necessary.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Welcome to the forum! While the Axe or Mag bows are a fantastic deal, my choice would be the 355 Suppressor. I’m actually toying with purchasing one myself.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

I feel you brother... been bow hunting for about the same time. I totally remember the Muzzy / Thunderhead days!!

Look for an Excalibur Vortex, wherever you can find one in good shape, and buy it.... it will be amazing and will last you the rest of your hunting days.

Top it with the Leupold of your choice.... the Pig Plex works well...along with some 20” Black Eagle Executioners.

You could even top the Executioner’s with a 100 grain three blade Muzzy for old time sake.

After that... get the grill hot😎😎😎
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:47 pm
Welcome to the forum! While the Axe or Mag bows are a fantastic deal, my choice would be the 355 Suppressor. I’m actually toying with purchasing one myself.
That was actually my choice too, but I wasn't sure if it was still in the current catalog.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

I appreciate the warm welcome to the forum & good suggestions so far. Thanks!

I believe the 355 Suppressor is currently listed as the Micro Suppressor on line. I only know that, because I have been comparing models. The Micro Suppressor is rated @ 355 FPS (343 FPS w/ Sound Deadening System). Same crossbow or maybe the original 355 Suppressor wasn't a Micro? This is all new to me! I am speculating (or displaying my ignorance already).

Stating the obvious - the Mag 340 has a MSRP of $750, & the Micro Suppressor is $1,300.

Just thinking out loud -
Specs like draw weight (270 vs 280) & speed are very close for the Mag 340 & Micro Suppressor. Micro Suppressor has 30 mm scope rings & most likely a better scope. If scopes are something many upgrade, a slightly better scope may not be worth the extra cost initially. Do most guys upgrade crossbow scopes? I am too new to this to know. I have the impression many do.

Warranty - The Vortex receives high praise. You don't have to hang out on a crossbow forum for very long to see that. I could probably research this more myself, but does a lifetime warranty apply to the original owner who first registers the crossbow only?

Like some have already stated, I will be happy with whatever I decide to get. That's high praise for Excalibur! I see a trend of guys liking the Micro crossbows that shoot in the mid-300 FPS range. Apparently, speed isn't everything! Accuracy with a good broadhead is the ultimate goal!

I appreciate what has been shared so far. The love of past Excalibur crossbows and willingness to purchase current offerings is reassuring. I emailed Excalibur a few days ago, & I was told the 2021 models will be out before the end of this year. I am going to wait a bit for that to happen & keep doing more research in the meantime.

I can already tell this is a nice forum to be a part of, & I really appreciate that very much!