Ugly Buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AJ01

Ugly Buck

Post by AJ01 »

Well...as Christmas rolls our way, I still had another "buck tag" to fill. I was gonna hang it up for the year, but "The Boss" urged me to take another deer. I told her we had 2 in the freezer already but she said "she needed another one for hamburger meat". I invited her to go hunting, but she just rolled her eyes at me and wandered off muttering something about "a crazy man" under her breath!! :wtf: :lol:

Anyway...I had seen this really ugly buck on camera a few times and told myself if he ever gave me the opportunity, "he was toast"!! I knew he had several "points" on one beam, and just garbage on the other. Something was genetically wrong with him.

Well...late yesterday afternoon, me and the Micro were sitting in a tree stand minding our own business when said "Ugly" walked out. :shh: I saw him at about 70 yards and watched as he slowly made his way toward my stand. Like the huge dummy I am, I had stuck my truck keys in my pant pocket. As "Ugly" strolled into range, I started to lift the bow and the keys sticking out of my pocket "clanged loudly" off of the detachable swivel I have on the stock. "Ugly" jumped like he was off to the races. Bolted about 30 yards and stopped facing away from me. :eusa-doh:
I sat there motionless for what seemed like a day, then he slowly turned back toward my direction..
We played a little game of "cat and mouse" behind several trees until he stopped at 23 yards and turned broadside. The Micro gave a little "jump for joy" as the 2" cut Swhacker found "pay dirt"
I watched him as he bolted away and made maybe 30 yards before tumbling to the ground in a heap. :wink:

Now the real work begins. Uphill drag out of a creek bottom. Probably a quarter mile to a right-of-way before I can get him in the truck.
Oh well...no need to postpone it...time to go to work. :lol:
As I was 'field dressing" this guy something caught my attention. Sure enough he had "issues". Seems he only had ONE testicle!! :wtf: :eusa-doh: I'm sure that this is what caused the deformed rack.
We aged him at about 4-4.5 years old.
He needed to be gone. And now he was. "Thank You Lord" for the bounty you provide!! :angel:

He's been hung up to "age". Once he stays in the cooler a few days, The backstrap and tenderloins will be processed. Then comes the chore of de-boning and grinding for "The Boss" and her hamburger meat. Hey...I think I'll make some more jerky. The last batch only lasted a few days!! :wink:
A bunch of 2-legged flightless Vultures make the rounds at my place during deer season. I wonder why?? :eusa-think: :wink: :lol: :thumbup:

Next adventure...It's hog hunting time!!! :lol: :eusa-popcorn:

Y'all be careful out there!! :mrgreen:
AJ

Last edited by AJ01 on Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Riflemanz

Re: Ugly Buck

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats! Nice shooting.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Way to go AJ, sometimes you just have to cull one or two. Congrats :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
grouse

Post by grouse »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, EVERY DEER IS A TROPHY! The stories of hunts on this forum are always enjoyable to read and yours was no exception. The work involved after shooting a deer is something I have never minded. It is actually a privilege. Congratulations, and enjoy your nutritious and uncontaminated meat. And, Merry Christmas too!
axiom
350 SE
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats AJ, he had to go for sure. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Congratulations. I beat ugly buck will taste as good or better than a pretty one :lol:
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Congrats... cool looking buck!! :thumbup:
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Normous

Post by Normous »

Bet the meat is good!
Nice.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Congrats on harvesting ol' Ugly.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Awsome AJ no worries ...yep the jerky tastes the same.
Congratulations.
One year l hunted like 25 days before l saw a legal buck.
Hunting is tough some times.
Many years l end up shooting a small buck just because l just simply like keeping my tag as long as possible just incase a big one comes.
Be proud merry Christmas!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

NIce job AJ!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Bcxbow wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:48 am
Way to go AJ, sometimes you just have to cull one or two. Congrats :thumbup: :thumbup:
You are exactly right. There are 3 of us, sometimes 4 that hunt together. After collecting trail cam pics, we normally decide what bucks to purse and what bucks to eliminate. One of my son-in-laws had a chance at this buck early in the season, but couldn't get him to hold still!! :lol: :lol:

He was indeed a good "cull buck". We try to practice good management on our places.

And Joe...I'm sure that jerky will be just as tasty as the last bunch!! And I too have spent several season and never "flung" an arrow at a buck!!
Sometimes it just doesn't go your way. That's why we call it "hunting" and not "killing"!! :lol: :wink:

And Grouse, you are right! Each animal we harvest is a gift, a trophy!! I think of all the people in the world who have never had the chance to go hunting. Never experienced the "great outdoors", and it saddens me somewhat. I know my years on this glob of dirt we call Earth have been truly blessed. That's why I try to get young people involved in our sport, our way of life. To show them a better way, if you will.
And Merry Christmas to you and yours!! :angel:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
ODH

Post by ODH »

A good late season buck to fill the freezer, congrats!
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Always a little extra satisfaction, knowing a cull buck was now meat in the freezer.

Good Job !