ExoBulldog 320

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelsquad

ExoBulldog 320

Post by wheelsquad »

Part of buying Marcel's BD400 recently involved me also selling my wife's Axiom SMF to a relative, to help cover the funds.

I've had my Vortex forever, but no matter how much I shorten the rope, the wife was unable to get the last 1/4" to 1/2". Which is why we decided to get the Axiom when we did, so she could shoot with me when possible. Not legal for her to hunt with crossbow in MN though.

So after getting the BD400 here I measured the rail and its 3/8" shorter than the Vortex rail. That got me thinking.... Put that Vortex riser onto the BD rail and she might be able to get it.

So last night I drilled and tapped for the single 3/8-16 bolt to match a BD riser.... And with the 3/8" shorter rail compared to an Axiom being 1" shorter and rated at 305, I figure this one would be rated at 320.

And first try, the wife pulled it back no problem. And the balance of having the Exo riser on the Bulldog frame sure is an improvement. It is noticeably many inches shorter than even her Axiom was.

And now that I have a rail for that Exo riser to go onto when she wants to shoot, that frees up the old Vortex rail with my hacked up and majorly shortened butt stock to be cut into something like a short Matrix 360 with a swept forward trigger. More on that to come this winter.

adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Hatchet

Re: ExoBulldog 320

Post by Hatchet »

Very cool Tyler. I am getting ready to build a slow bow just for shooting the Magnus Bullhead. First I have to finish a couple house and garage projects. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Hatchet
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Hatchet wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:05 pm
Very cool Tyler. I am getting ready to build a slow bow just for shooting the Magnus Bullhead. First I have to finish a couple house and garage projects. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Hatchet
Thanks, Merry Christmas as well!

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
Boo

Post by Boo »

Great idea!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Hatchet wrote:
Hatchet
I built my BD310, which I sold earlier this year, to shoot bullheads. But unfortunately something Shiney caught my eye.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

janesy wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:28 pm
Hatchet wrote:
Hatchet
I built my BD310, which I sold earlier this year, to shoot bullheads. But unfortunately something Shiney caught my eye.
You guys need to educate me... Do the Bullheads do way better out of a super slow bow? If so maybe I should put my matrix riser assembly on my 308 Short frame for a close range decapitation shot?

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
janesy

Post by janesy »

wheelsquad wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:33 pm
janesy wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:28 pm
Hatchet wrote:
Hatchet
You guys need to educate me... Do the Bullheads do way better out of a super slow bow? If so maybe I should put my matrix riser assembly on my 308 Short frame for a close range decapitation shot?
Not necessarily, but those three windsails are definitely not going to help with accuracy as the speeds get up there.
Jeff has a fair bit of experience with them, I'm sure he can help out

I wanted something tiny, easy to cock and a short enough length that an 18" arrow would clear the stirrup. That and I had a whole in my head.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Tyler, that looks great snd I bet it’s fun! Snd it will do anything you want hunting wise.
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

That's cool! Nice work!
Micro Bulldog 335
Micro 308 Short
BD 330
Woodstock 342 (Matrix)
Matrix 355 with 310 Riser
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

Tyler great idea! Not other than Excalibur crossbow give us the opportunity to mix parts like that! Customizing xbows is one of the best relaxing hobby for me because that conjures up the spirit of the hunt!

Marcel
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
flightattendant100

tremps01 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:33 am
Tyler great idea! Not other than Excalibur crossbow give us the opportunity to mix parts like that! Customizing xbows is one of the best relaxing hobby for me because that conjures up the spirit of the hunt!

Marcel
Marcel, I love it too! Much fun and Tyler is an engineer so he can think up all kinds of stuff
flightattendant100

tremps01 wrote:

Marcel
Marcel, I love it too! Much fun and Tyler is an engineer so he can think up all kinds of stuff. Oooops
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

That is an awesome modification, good job!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

tremps01 wrote:

Marcel
Yep I'm liking every minute of this newfound hobby. Don't worry though Marcel, I've already got the original bulldog front end back on, that'll be my main shooter all next summer. Even more glad now that I got it since it serves this nice secondary purpose.

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

There's actually a Bulldog 400 rail, stock, and bd trigger group for sale on AT right now on AT for a very fair price. Anyone with an Ibex, Phoenix, or Axiom that did this would gain a little speed and be more compact. Or with a Vixen 2 gain even more speed, lose a little overall length, but gain a little LOP.

https://www.archerytalk.com/threads/new-black-bulldog-400-rail-new-black-micro-bd-stock.5975585/

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360