Elevated Platform Stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ridger

Elevated Platform Stands

Post by Ridger »

Hi folks

Looking to build some sturdy permanent elevated platform stands, possibly fully enclosed pending weight.

Does anyone have any tried/tested safe plans or designs they have used? I was thinking of using PT wood.

Thanks!
Normous

Re: Elevated Platform Stands

Post by Normous »

Here is a thread of interest posted by one of our Locals :mrgreen:

https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70354&hilit=stand

copy/paste:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

100% Western Red Cedar:

10 inch concrete sonotubes on each corner 5 feet into the ground. Standard galvanized steel hardware used to connect the 4x4s to the concrete and prevent contact between the wood and concrete.

Now going on 12 years old and have not touched them structurally since they went in and they are as solid as the day they were built.

I have two of them and they are 12 feet high and platform is 8 feet by 8 feet. Have taken 17+ deer from them in the last 12 years. This is the other one with a blind on top:

Only additions since they were built is a swing out crane/gantry with a winch for moving gear up/down for extended stays and ladders have been widened and placed at a 75 degree angle instead of vertical as shown in the pics.

The snow depth in the one pic is over 2 feet and would more than simulate the weight of a simple enclosure i.e roof and 4 walls. Posts are 4x4s, cross bracing/ties are 2x4s, joists and plates are 2x6s on 16 inch centers. Decking is 5/4 by 6. No nails used. All epoxy sealed screws (#8s for decking and #10s and #12s for everything else).

2 deer taken this year using them.

One of them is fairly close to the trail so not that much work to get material in. The other was a 400 yard carry for all material. Lot of work - especially concrete bags and water for sonotubes. I was in my 40s than so the trail one took a day to build using the front end loader but the other took 3 days and involved some sketchy ladder work being solo.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Ridger

Post by Ridger »

Thanks folks!

I recall seeing this thread, but couldn't remember any of the tags to search it.

Looks rock solid!