Moose hunting in Ontario

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Naters113

Moose hunting in Ontario

Post by Naters113 »

Forum members, been a while since I've posted but, could use your expertise.

This fall my buddy and I will be venturing into northern Ontario to try our hand at archery moose hunting for the first time (we have a cow tag). We have never done any hunting outside of northern Michigan so have some major questions that I thought you guys could help with, mainly about gear. We will be scouting from boats mainly but once we hit the ground is when my questions will start.

Boots for that terrain (I have Mucks but don't think they will be tall enough for marshy land like that)?
Recommended rain gear brand or type?
Would you recommend a spotting scope or binoculars (we have mid level $250 binocs)?
Thoughts on bringing climbing stands?
Any gear that you can't live without in the field when hunting moose in Ontario or other places?

Thank you so much,

Nate

Micro 335 with 125 Slick Tricks
evaughan

Re: Moose hunting in Ontario

Post by evaughan »

Welcome! Many members on this forum are regular Ontario moose hunters with great advise to offer. First off, the desirable tag to have is bull, they call well like elk or turkeys. Most locals focus on waterways when the task is filling a cow tag. I would spend most of my time in a canoe. Preferably paddling up and down windy creeks or marsh with the crossbow hunter loaded up in the front seat. Often a cow can be quietly paddled up on to some degree. Spot and stalk is also an option. Sitting on trails is tough. It can work but moose aren’t nearly as habitual as deer. Grouse are extremely plentiful and not very wary. Get a small game licence something to kill them with.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
Naters113

Post by Naters113 »

If a canoe is for some reason not attainable, is a trolling motor on a small fishing boat a bad idea? Just use oars instead? Any insight on the gear?
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

To start
Question is the "Cow Tag" with an Outfitter.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I guess a good question to ask is where in Northern Ontario? It's a big place
Northern Ontario is not that much different than Northern Michigan temp a climate wise.

You can bring as little or as much as you want as far as gear goes. I have basically narrowed down what I carry to a large hip sack, I use the Alps Little bear with the binoc pocket. Then I have a frame back with water tight bag and all the gear needed to process, which I leave in the canoe.

But, the only thing that will make or break your hunt is boots and socks. BOOTS AND SOCKS!
I think most will agree, mucks are good boots but once you get into Shield terrain the exposed neoprene is a liability and will most likely tear quickly. Cabela's carries a line of rubber boots that has the neoprene coved with a smooth rubber layer, and they have proven themselves to be very durable at least for me.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Naters113

Post by Naters113 »

We will be northeast of Wawa on Lake Windermere, the reason for the "Cow Tag" is we are just dipping our toes in this adventure to try to see what we like, don't like, etc. Was much more economical to find out we don't want to hunt moose in northern Ontario this way than to blow $12K on a bull hunt with little to no experience.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Naters113 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:18 pm
We will be northeast of Wawa on Lake Windermere, the reason for the "Cow Tag" is we are just dipping our toes in this adventure to try to see what we like, don't like, etc. Was much more economical to find out we don't want to hunt moose in northern Ontario this way than to blow $12K on a bull hunt with little to no experience.
Makes senses. Just bring binoc and bug spray. When you step out to the boat, unless it's been harvested or burnt, you won't need a spotting scope. You'll need a machete lol.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:10 pm
Naters113 wrote:
Makes senses. Just bring binoc and bug spray. When you step out to the boat, unless it's been harvested or burnt, you won't need a spotting scope. You'll need a machete lol.
Chris,
What is your arrow set-up for Moose?
Inquiring minds want to know!! :lol:
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:43 am
janesy wrote:
Naters113 wrote:
Chris,
AJ
I have never shot a moose with an arrow. So I have no experience to share
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bones

Post by Bones »

pm sent
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:37 am
AJ01 wrote:
janesy wrote:

Chris,
AJ
Okay....thanks for the response! I know that's a BIG animal. And TOUGH!! :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:02 pm
janesy wrote:
AJ01 wrote:

Chris,
AJ
I used to be a member of a very successful moose camp a few years back. Although we only used rifles
Moose are tough in the sense that there bones are big and thick. Their hides are tick and furry. And they live in the worst areas to get them out of. But they are pretty dumb. Like, hide there eyes behind a tree and think you can't see them kind of dumb lol. They can hear for miles and smell on par with a whitetail.
But as far as killing one goes, they are easier to kill than a white tail. The target is typically 3-4 times the size, and they don't tend to run off. In fact more often than not, they will stand there and die after being shot. It's actually the strangest feeling when you hit one square double lung heart... And they do absolutely nothing.

Calves being the exception, they tend to run after their mother after being hit.

We did get a moose archery season where I hunt for 2020, my choice of arrow was a 448grn zombie with a Wasp Havalon. I'm confident that a properly placed shot would have no issues on a moose. But I only got out for one day and saw no mooses
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:28 am
AJ01 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:02 pm
janesy wrote:

I used to be a member of a very successful moose camp a few years back. Although we only used rifles
Moose are tough in the sense that there bones are big and thick. Their hides are tick and furry. And they live in the worst areas to get them out of. But they are pretty dumb. Like, hide there eyes behind a tree and think you can't see them kind of dumb lol. They can hear for miles and smell on par with a whitetail.
But as far as killing one goes, they are easier to kill than a white tail. The target is typically 3-4 times the size, and they don't tend to run off. In fact more often than not, they will stand there and die after being shot. It's actually the strangest feeling when you hit one square double lung heart... And they do absolutely nothing.

Calves being the exception, they tend to run after their mother after being hit.

We did get a moose archery season where I hunt for 2020, my choice of arrow was a 448grn zombie with a Wasp Havalon. I'm confident that a properly placed shot would have no issues on a moose. But I only got out for one day and saw no mooses
Thanks for the info. I've only seen one in the wild. That was in Wyoming several years ago. He didn't get too excited about us, and all I had was an Elk tag. So..he was lucky!! :lol: I don't think a lot of folks realize just how big they really are!!
If ya get to go again...GOOD LUCK!! :thumbup: