Here Piggy Piggy!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

Re: Here Piggy Piggy!!

Post by grouse »

It's illegal to hunt wild hogs on public land in Missouri. The Conservation Commission says hunting is disruptive to their efforts to trap large groups of hogs. Our wild hogs are mostly in the southern part of the state (thank you Arkansas) and since I do my hunting in NE Missouri, I've never seen one in this state. Many years ago I did basic and AIT at Ft. Polk Louisiana and there were wild hogs everywhere. I'll bet they're still there.
axiom
350 SE
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

AJ01 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:56 pm
flinthead wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:35 am
I have several spots that have a good supply of hogs here in South Carolina... they are just so aggravating to hunt!

If you set up a feeder and finally get them coming in during daylight, you can kill a few of them... mostly small sows... then they catch on to the fact that there being hunted. Then they will continue to eat your expensive corn.... at 0300... lol... :eusa-doh:

Every year I'm tempted to get a hog set up going after turkey season... then I just say... nahhhh! I'll just stay in the air conditioning, eat Oreo ice cream, and watch Andy Griffith!!
Okay...put the ice cream down and back away slowly, no one has to get hurt!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get off your tail and go hunt them hogs at night!!
Elusive Wildlife makes all kinds of lights for your bow, rifle or feeders!!
They are located down here in Conroe, Texas!! About 2.5 hours south of me!! Good guys with good products!! :thumbup:

The up side to hunting them at night is...it's a slight tad cooler on the summer nights than days!!
Down side....Skeeter's are the size of small aircraft!!! :wtf:

Oh the price we pay!!!! :lol: :eusa-doh: :lol:

AJ
Lol... we pull ticks off skeeters around here!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

We used to be able to hunt hogs here in Missouri
conservation dept. said kill on site, but now they say no hog hunting :shock:
but you can kill them on your own property, they say trapping
them works better than hunting them :eusa-think:
and is a more productive way to keep them under control. :eusa-popcorn:
Now they are talking about having a bear hunting season, sometime in the future,
We did however have our first elk season this year :clap: they had a statewide draw
5 archery and 5 firearms tags, the 5 firearms tags were all filled, none of the archery tags were filled, :eusa-snooty:
1 man drew a property owner tag in the area of the elk range and killed a bull elk the first
morning of the hunt , he was 89 or 90 yrs. old :clap:

FYI
Dave :thumbup:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

papabear1 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:59 pm
Now they are talking about having a bear hunting season, sometime in the future,
We did however have our first elk season this year :clap: they had a statewide draw
5 archery and 5 firearms tags, the 5 firearms tags were all filled, none of the archery tags were filled, :eusa-snooty:
1 man drew a property owner tag in the area of the elk range and killed a bull elk the first

FYI
Dave... you know what they say, it's not a problem until we say its a problem!! :lol: :lol:

Heck, here in Texas you can go on hog hunts and shoot them from a helicopter even!! :wtf:
Texas has declared war on them. But, your Game and Fish Commission might be right. We kill them by the thousands in Texas every year, yet the population grows and grows. Seems that for every one you kill, 10 more takes it's place!!

When I was a kid, back in the late 60's and early 70's, several East Texas counties, (Gregg, Harrison, Marion and Panola) all had Black Bear seasons listed in the TWPD handbook. By the late 70's, those season were pulled from the listings. There are currently no Black Bear seasons in any Texas County.
Black Bear 'studies" have been and are being conducted in Lamar and Red River counties near the Oklahoma/Arkansas borders.
Also the Big Thicket" portion of south east Texas along the Louisiana border have Black Bear studies underway. And of course, Big Bend.

Elk in Texas are on private ranches. Unfortunately, most of Texas is private land, thus driving up the cost of hunts. But, if ya wanna hunt Elk in Texas, someone somewhere has Elk you can hunt. Just be sure you bring a check with lots of zeros on it!! :lol: :lol:

What we as hunters need to remember is that without the Pittman-Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act signed in 1937 there would probably be no White-tailed Deer seasons in any states. No Elk hunts, no Sheep hunts, no Bear hunts. Nothing!!
Most of the deer population was wiped out by Westward Expansion that occurred in the 19th century.
Elk were driven from the plains. Buffalo slaughtered and left to rot by hide hunters. Ducks and Geese numbers plummeted due to "market hunting".

It was the Pittman-Robertson Act that pretty much put an end to all of that and started most of the wildlife departments found nowadays.
Did ya know that 11% of all sales tax on firearms, ammo, and other outdoor equipment goes directly to the fund to help manage game here in America. :eusa-think:

Without hunters and outdoorsmen, there would be no outdoors!!

The next time any of you get confronted by and "anti", just ask them how many times in the last year they donated 11% of their money to help
preserve wildlife and wildlife habitat. :think:
What you'll get is that classic "deer in the headlights" look!!! :shock: :wtf: :lol:

Y'all be safe out there!!
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flinthead wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:00 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:56 pm
flinthead wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:35 am
I have several spots that have a good supply of hogs here in South Carolina... they are just so aggravating to hunt!

If you set up a feeder and finally get them coming in during daylight, you can kill a few of them... mostly small sows... then they catch on to the fact that there being hunted. Then they will continue to eat your expensive corn.... at 0300... lol... :eusa-doh:

Every year I'm tempted to get a hog set up going after turkey season... then I just say... nahhhh! I'll just stay in the air conditioning, eat Oreo ice cream, and watch Andy Griffith!!
Okay...put the ice cream down and back away slowly, no one has to get hurt!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol... we pull ticks off skeeters around here!
Do ya need a "Special Permit" to harvest those Ticks?? And I dang sure hope no harm is caused to the "Skeeters" during the Tick Harvest!!!
I'd hate to have to all PETA on you!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

AJ01 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:34 am
papabear1 wrote:

FYI
Dave... you know what they say, it's not a problem until we say its a problem!! :lol: :lol:

Heck, here in Texas you can go on hog hunts and shoot them from a helicopter even!! :wtf:
Texas has declared war on them. But, your Game and Fish Commission might be right. We kill them by the thousands in Texas every year, yet the population grows and grows. Seems that for every one you kill, 10 more takes it's place!!

When I was a kid, back in the late 60's and early 70's, several East Texas counties, (Gregg, Harrison, Marion and Panola) all had Black Bear seasons listed in the TWPD handbook. By the late 70's, those season were pulled from the listings. There are currently no Black Bear seasons in any Texas County.
Black Bear 'studies" have been and are being conducted in Lamar and Red River counties near the Oklahoma/Arkansas borders.
Also the Big Thicket" portion of south east Texas along the Louisiana border have Black Bear studies underway. And of course, Big Bend.

Elk in Texas are on private ranches. Unfortunately, most of Texas is private land, thus driving up the cost of hunts. But, if ya wanna hunt Elk in Texas, someone somewhere has Elk you can hunt. Just be sure you bring a check with lots of zeros on it!! :lol: :lol:

What we as hunters need to remember is that without the Pittman-Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act signed in 1937 there would probably be no White-tailed Deer seasons in any states. No Elk hunts, no Sheep hunts, no Bear hunts. Nothing!!
Most of the deer population was wiped out by Westward Expansion that occurred in the 19th century.
Elk were driven from the plains. Buffalo slaughtered and left to rot by hide hunters. Ducks and Geese numbers plummeted due to "market hunting".

It was the Pittman-Robertson Act that pretty much put an end to all of that and started most of the wildlife departments found nowadays.
Did ya know that 11% of all sales tax on firearms, ammo, and other outdoor equipment goes directly to the fund to help manage game here in America. :eusa-think:

The next time any of you get confronted by and "anti", just ask them how many times in the last year they donated 11% of their money to help
What you'll get is that classic "deer in the headlights" look!!! :shock: :wtf: :lol:

AJ
Your absolutely correct AJ , not to mention the assistance of our landowners :thumbup:

"BUT" I will bet you any amount of money you won't see the anti people doing anything to help
all they do is bit%@ :thumbdown:

Dave :eusa-popcorn:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

AJ01 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:34 am
papabear1 wrote:

FYI

AJ
Your absolutely correct AJ , not to mention the assistance of our landowners :thumbup:

"BUT" I will bet you any amount of money you won't see the anti people doing anything to help
all they do is bit%@ :thumbdown:

Dave :eusa-popcorn:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods