Anyone use a propane heater to heat the garage?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Riflemanz

Anyone use a propane heater to heat the garage?

Post by Riflemanz »

Does anyone use a propane heater to heat their garage while cutting deer up or fixing stuff? I have a 60-100 BTU Reddy heater and it will not start. It worked last winter but not now. I have a full tank of propane. I ordered a new gas regulator and thermocouple to see if that works. Anyone ever fix these heaters?
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
mr meat

Re: Anyone use a propane heater to heat the garage?

Post by mr meat »

Try YouTube
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

It's usually the thermocouple. If you have some teflon tape (and know how to use it!), you could disconnect the line where it leaves the regulator. Then give the valve a quick open and close, and if you get any propane escape , you know it's the thermocoupler. Just reconnect and test the connection with soapy water to be sure you have a complete seal.

Before you do any of that, try a restart but tapping vigorously on the thermocouple as you try to restart. I'll bet that's the source of your problem. Sometimes a bit of encouragement will get them working.

My most cherished recollection of thermocoupler adventures is ice fishing (or actually trying to siart) and with bare hands in -30 trying to get the heater started.

If my suggestions don't work, I could tell you some of the things I said about the inventor of the thermocoupler. It didn't start the heater, but did make me feel a bit better.

By the way....don't forget you are starting up a carbon monoxide factory. In an enclosed place like a garage, you need to have stale air being vented and fresh air coming in or you can have fatal trouble. Please be careful.
Last edited by Hi5 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

This is a torpedo heater and there is no way for me to tap on the thermocouple as I start it.
I'll try the new regulator and then the new thermocouple.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

If your torpedo heater is the same as what I see when I Google it, you could try the next best thing to tapping directly on the thermocoupler. Try jarring the whole unit on the floor as you try to light it. It's probably something internal sticking in the thermo. Sometimes it doesn't take much and once it's free, it goes on working.

They are a good safety device, but very prone to being cranky. I've had them on industrial burners, camper propane ovens, heaters.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I don't know about propane heaters, but with my duel fuel, it has an electronic ignitor (spark plug) that fires a spark to ignite the fuel. These do burn up.
If you open the top of the torpedo, (usually 4 to 6 screws) hit the start switch, you should be able to see if the ignitor is working (sparking). If it isn't, check your wiring. If that is okay, then you'll need to replace the ignitor.

Propane heaters tend to eat these up faster than diesel or kerosene.

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Two problems that I've had with propane. Just once the thermal couple was acting up by going out after letting the invite button. After a few tries, it would light and stay lit and go out with a little tap. I tapped on the thermal coupler and its been fine since. More commonly I've had spiders in the gas/air tube and mud wasps plugging the same.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

I’ve got two of these Mr. Heater Big Buddy 4,000-18,000 BTU Portable Liquid Propane Heaters they work great for me I use them in my garage and at the hunting cabins they work good for me and do a good job only complaint is they go through the propane if you would go with something like this I’d recommend getting the hose adapter so you can use the bigger propane tanks.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

OhioXBowhunter wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:25 pm
I’ve got two of these Mr. Heater Big Buddy 4,000-18,000 BTU Portable Liquid Propane Heaters they work great for me I use them in my garage and at the hunting cabins they work good for me and do a good job only complaint is they go through the propane if you would go with something like this I’d recommend getting the hose adapter so you can use the bigger propane tanks.
X 2 :thumbup:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
ldock

Post by ldock »

My experience with the newer gas heaters is if it has been setting clean with vacuum or compressed air. it always seems the oxygen sensor if applicable needs cleaned out. Just two days ago my gas heater in the house wouldn't light. I went to the gas company and that was there suggestion.Blow it out with compressed until you think it is clean and then blow it some more.Wow it started working after all the blowing.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I put on a new gas regulator and then tapped on the old thermocouple and it fired right up. It ran for 5 minutes and then the flame went out. I then replaced the thermocouple. I didn't have time to re-test it but hopefully that was the problem.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

What you describe confirms (to me, anyway) that it was your thermocoupler that was the whole problem. Keep the old regulator for a spare, and the same thing with your old thermocoupler. It seems capable of working , or you wouldn't have been able to do any restart. I'd bet that if you used one of those compressed air cans that are used to blow out computer parts, and give it an internal shot, it would work just fine.

I'll bet you've been the victim of a malfunction that could have been temporary. The main thing is that you soon will have warmth.