First sign of warmer weather

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hatchet

First sign of warmer weather

Post by Hatchet »

Yesterday it was 40+ degrees here. We started setting up to make some maple syrup. It was the first time the snow has softened up since before Christmas. I feel like we have had a pretty mild winter...so far. Last year we got a few late season storms that brought wet heavy snow.

We have been having turkeys visit the bird feeders, about 30-40 some days. Couple months it will be turkey season, I imagine they will be in hiding by then.

So how about where you guys are? Anyone getting ready for syrup season? Any signs of spring yet? Seeing any spring turkeys, or any wildlife at all?

Hoping everyone is well.
Take care
Hatchet
xcaliber

Re: First sign of warmer weather

Post by xcaliber »

We have been snow covered for weeks now, and had a long cold front come in after the snow. It's getting pretty low after a few days in a row of decent temps. The deer stopped eating my pines behind the house a few days ago, and now they are hitting the receding snow bank where they piled the plowed snow, licking up the salt in it. I'm watching my daughter's pooch, they are on a ski trip. Fist time I got to walk around to the east side of the house into our yard, dog found a clump of rabbit fur, coyotes are out!

Take care all, and hopefully we'll be out hunting turkey soon! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Last edited by xcaliber on Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

50 degrees here now ....thank God....let the snow melt.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I can see parts of my driveway now . :)
The warmer temps definitely get you thinking of spring . :)
Gobbbbbbbble :D
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
grouse

Post by grouse »

The snow is nearly all gone here. It was pretty deep a week ago but it was very cold when it fell and I think that results in less moisture per inch and a quicker melt. I'm getting ready to book a crappie fishing trip to Reelfoot lake in TN. The warmer temperatures have me thinking about fishing.
axiom
350 SE
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

It was 47 degrees this morning!! Hasn't been below freezing in a few days now. All the ice and snow have disappeared!! :clap: :clap:

Supposed to rain off and on for the next few days, but no freezing temps. I'm good with that!! Topped off a couple of feeders yesterday. The ground under them looked like it had be plowed!!
No cameras out right now, but I'm pretty sure its a combo of deer and hogs!! We don't have much Turkey activity here. Eastern variety is North and East of me. Rio's are West and South.
Easterns were brought in by TPWD about 10 years ago in an attempt to re-establish them. Unfortunately, coyotes, fire ants and poachers have kept the numbers low. Caddo Lake (about 50 miles northeast of me) will have a draw hunt this spring of Easterns. I'll be signing up for the lotto!! :D

Central Texas has a HUGE number of Rio's!! Most of the time when the deer feeder goes off it's like Turkey central!! :lol: :lol:

Also won't be long until the Crappie start to spawn as well as White (Sand) Bass. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Y'all be SAFE out there!!
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Tues. 16th, Week ago, -2*, set a record for low. This past Tues. was 81* for high. One thing about Texas weather is it’s not boring!
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Yo Domaster...when does our spring Turkey season start? Save me looking it up if you know. Tx.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

April 25th at 5:53 am . :)
janesy

Post by janesy »

Doe Master wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:11 pm
April 25th at 5:53 am . :)
I literally watched turkey hunting videos all day today.
Got a VersaMax tactical over at TacOrd getting the full turkey gun treatment, Badland turkey vest on the way, patternmaster, and new ammo to try really looking forward to turkey this year for some reason.
Last few years it got to be pretty routine, and boring, this year I'm gonna shake it up and have some fun.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I know there is birds up your way . If it wasn`t so much of a drive I would go up to my nieces to hunt . Problem is when you go all the way up there you are expected to visit not hunt . :lol: