Ex Shox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Penholloway Creek

Ex Shox

Post by Penholloway Creek »

Greetings Excalibur Crossbow Forum! This is my first post.

I just purchased my first crossbow (Micro 335 Kryptek Raid) a couple of weeks ago. I really like it but yesterday one of my Ex Shox fell off and today the other Ex Shox fell off. I probably only have taken 50 -60 shots so far.

What have others experienced when it comes to Excalibur Ex Shox? The Kryptek Raid really sounded quiet and was relatively smooth to shoot with them installed.
But if they only stay on for 50 shots or so are they really worth it?

I have been a bowhunter since 1975 but I'm an oldie but newbie when it comes to crossbows. I'm looking forward to your thoughts and experiences!
Driftless hunter

Re: Ex Shox

Post by Driftless hunter »

Reading what others say about them in reviews - Some have mentioned adding zip ties to them, & having zero problems with them falling off afterwards.
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Penholloway Creek wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:41 pm
Greetings Excalibur Crossbow Forum! This is my first post.
Welcome aboard!

Seems like more guys have trouble getting them to stay on. I never had trouble getting mine to stay on but got rid of them when I learned they cost more speed than any of the other sound deadening items. Removed them and didn't notice any additional noise or vibration.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
lituani

Post by lituani »

Death by Bunjie video indicated Ex Shox makes it much more difficult to remove/adjust string using the Excalibur stringer tool. Haven't installed mine yet so cannot verify that claim, but it's enough for me to pause and reconsider whether to bother, especially since Ex Shox has two effects: 1) slows down arrow speeds, 2) doesn't appreciably reduce noise.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

First of all....Welcome to the Forum!!!

I shoot a Micro. My Suppressor came from the factory with all the "bells and Whistles" already attached. When I lost the first one, i Pulled the second one off. Never noticed in difference in "sound". You'll also find perhaps as I did, if you go to a "custom made" string on the short bows, that if you have "cat whiskers" added, the "Ex Shoxs" are in the way anyway!! :eusa-doh:

I've been shooting the Micro Suppressor without them for years now. I have an extra pair that Excalibur sent me, personally, I won't be putting them on. If someone wants them, I'll gladly send them their way!! :lol:

Shoot your bow. The critters won't know the difference!! :lol:

Welcome Again!!
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Welcome to the forum,
someone here will get you lined out. :thumbup:

Dave :eusa-popcorn:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

My Micro 400 Suppressor came with them in the box and I never even put them on. The less moving parts we have the better. With all of the stories I've heard of them coming off, I always worried one coming loose could impact the accuracy of that shot. Without them, that's one less thing to worry about.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Penholloway Creek

I appreciate the warm welcome from everyone!

To address the Excalibur string changer question: I had no problem using the Excalibur string changer with the Ex Shox installed on the Kryptek Raid to adjust my brace height. My string was almost touching the R.E.D.S. and Excalibur customer service said I needed at least a quarter inch between the string and R.E.D.S.pads. Customer service suggested 6-8 turns of the string. I did 7 and got 3/8" gap and Excalibur customer service said that was fine.

Customer service already has a pair of Ex Shox on the way. Customer service did say that the Ex Shox would reduce the speed of the crossbow by 13 fps. I may shoot it awhile without the Ex Shox to see how it feels.

I can truthfully day Excalibur customer service has been outstanding! They have promptly answered my many questions and I shot them an email last night about the Ex Shox coming off and first thing this morning I received a reply asking if I wanted a replacement set. I replied yes and they answered they were on the way. Excellent service!

I plan on ordering an extra string to have as a spare but you cannot get the string stars that came on my Kryptek Raid unless you order the complete sound deadening package. The string stars may not be that necessary. What do y'all think?

Another question I have is what are the favorite illuminated nocks. My 67 year old eyes can noway follow the flight of the Quill arrows at 300 fps. I've just ordered 6 more Quill arrows to go with the 4 that came with the Kryptek Raid package. These come with the basic Excalibur nocks as the Luminocks are sold out on the Quill Arrows.

Again thanks for the warm welcome and thanks for the patience in advance as I know I will have numerous questions in the future!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Welcome to the forum! None of the Ex Shox made it on the the limbs. They all found a nice home in file G because just few people have had them stay on. I thought I'd be open minded about the String Stars and well, one came off within 50 shots so, same file. Three eights inch is good because that string will creep and get closer to the bumpers soon but your target brace height should be 1/4" from the bumpers. The rate of string creep will gradually slow dow with more shooting. Once it has, install the spare string and get it broken in as well.
Have fun!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

Penholloway Creek wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:10 pm
I plan on ordering an extra string to have as a spare but you cannot get the string stars that came on my Kryptek Raid unless you order the complete sound deadening package. The string stars may not be that necessary. What do y'all think?
bowjax.com sells a nice assortment of string stars.

I have a pair of black Bowjax SlipJax String Silencers on my compound bow string. They are the type that are wedged between two large strands of my bow string. The pair were added to my compound in 2013. Those same two string stars are on my current third string for that bow.

https://www.amazon.com/Bowjax-SlipJax-String-Silencer-Pack/dp/B07612CCTX

For my compound bow, string stars are awesome. They help reduce string vibration. Plus - If my peep sight is slightly out of alignment, I can slide one or both of the string stars slightly to make my peep align perfectly again. A bow tech guy from an archery shop taught me this trick.

I am going on my 8th year with the same Bowjax SlipJax Silencers. They usually come in sets of 4, and I still have the extra unused pair in reserve. I have the 15 or 19 grain ones on my string, but they make 23 grain ones for crossbows/compound bows, too. My compound bow may not be as hard on them compared to higher poundage crossbow.

Sims LimbSaver Everlast Leech String Dampener would be another similar brand.
Penholloway Creek

Again thank you to all for the warm welcome!

Also, I very much appreciate all of your opinions as I journey through this new experience of crossbows!

I believe I will leave off the ExShox for now as my speed picked up somewhat. Prior to the ExShox coming off my TactZone scope speed ring was set at approximately 285-290. Now the speed ring is set on 300 and I'm right on out to 40 yards.(I have not shot past 40 yards yet.)