Coyote off the Couch

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

Coyote off the Couch

Post by Species8472 »

My wife has been telling me she has had 7 or 8 coyote sightings in the last week in our backyard. Well they finally showed up when i was home. Grabbed the closest rifle to the safe door. Happened to be my 308 from last seasons deer hunt. Grabbed 2 rounds and raced up to the family room. Opened the window and popped out the screen. Used the back of the couch as a rest. 105 yard shot with the yote facing me chest on. Put the hairs on the center of the chest and sent a 165 grain accubond down the tube.

Never took a step just dropped dead:

Healthy looking female. My lab/pit bull in the picture is 75 lbs for scale.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
janesy

Re: Coyote off the Couch

Post by janesy »

Nice! That's my "forever home" goal is to shoot yote's from the house. Serious.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

We practice:" dropem in their tracks " whenever possible !

1 down a few more to go!
Last edited by elkaholic on Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Amazing that they come that close! I hear them at night but they don't come close at all during daylight. Guess its because I dump a clip of shells in their general direction every time they yap. I don't want them within rifle range.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:51 am
Amazing that they come that close! I hear them at night but they don't come close at all during daylight. Guess its because I dump a clip of shells in their general direction every time they yap. I don't want them within rifle range.
Don, we live in the DFW metroplex. Every week, there is someone posting on neighborhood FB that they had a coyote in their yard or walking down the street. Have also seen multiple times a bobcat. Amazing
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Good job! I have only seen one in daylight (from my house) and it was gone before I could reach my rifle (it was trailing deer that had passed earlier.
No doubt they are mostly nocturnal here in central NH but during hunting season last fall, one came by my ground blind also trailing a deer that had passed minutes earlier.
One shot from my BAR 308 and it took a dirt nap. This was the 4th yote I have killed in my lifetime...all while deer hunting and spread over many years.
I would post a pic of the latest one but haven’t figured out how on this forum. :crazy:
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I don't exactly live in a crowded city suburb, but I do have neighbors and one is as close as 75 yards.
I have had Deer, 'Yotes, Fox and even Bobcats in MY yard!! It's amazing where Nature will live.
And NO..., I don't hunt the deer that cross my yard going to the pasture!! :lol: :wink: :lol:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

Nice job on the coyote! They need thinning just about everywhere.

I do live in the suburbs and and I see more wildlife out of my windows at my suburban home than at my farm. I've seen coyotes during the day plenty of times along with deer, turkeys, foxes, hawks, owls and way too many geese. A black bear was spotted several times a couple of miles from here and a cougar showed up on a camera in a nearby suburb. Of all the wildlife around, I like seeing coyotes the least.
axiom
350 SE
Prmtvbowman22

Post by Prmtvbowman22 »

Nice job. My first kill with my excalibur was a coyote at 15yds taken another 7 with compound many more close opportunities but they seldom stop moving long enough for a shot. 1 with 223 in my yard
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Great job on the yote! I used to not shoot them on sight during black powder or gun season because I didn't want to mess up my hunt. It took me a while to realize that if you're seeing a yote from your stand, its already messed up your hunt. If you let it walk, it'll happen again.

Let it walk and you'll end up like this: https://youtu.be/44BlCQRfJxw

Now anytime I see a yote, it's yote season.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on removing that varmit
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Didn't gooo 20!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Nice.. I call them day and night and usually use .243 or 25-06 but have a .308 Pump I use inside open timber. 12ga w # 4 Buck in real tight cover. I worked up 110 Vmax @3350fps load and am just waiting for them to finish dropping their puppies before I resume after my break I take each March/April..
Buy a Hand call and try calling them from that same window...in a couple weeks..
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Congratulations on getting Rid of the coyote.. I have pictures of them in my yard on security camera through the night on occasion .. Most of the ones that venture on our farm thru the day suffer from ROLP ( Rapid Onset Lead Poisoning ) The Best Coyote is a dead coyote !!