Kinda surprised at Excalibur

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: Kinda surprised at Excalibur

Post by janesy »

I would imagine that a lot of manufacturing process still remains the intellectual property of the company. Probably, the people on the line somewhere(not specific to Excal or anyone) assembling the same part each day with a specified, and calibrated tool don't get to know that info either. It would be unreliable at best with today's standards to rely on a human to apply the same torque for hours on end.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
lituani

Post by lituani »

Boo wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:53 pm
I had a hard time believing it but the risers are an extrusion prior to some machining.
Extruding produces very good material strength properties, cheaper than forging or exotic alloys +HT, so makes sense.
BTW, my daughter holds a PHD in Industry Engineering. From the day she could talk, we figured she was going to be a cop or an Engineer :eusa-dance:
Hahaha. Questions I'm most often asked are "are you a doctor" or "are you in military". When I respond "nope, engineer by birth" they smile and quip "figures" or "I can see that".

Congrats on your daughter's accomplishments. You did great raising her!
lituani

Post by lituani »

Doe Master wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:48 pm
We use roll form taps for the aluminum.
Prolly why SAE doesn't have torque charts for aluminum. All aluminum threads should be roll formed (with rare exception for forgings); cut threads are 20% weaker and do not accomplish the requisite clampload desired for most assemblies and joints.