FOR THOSE WHO EXCAL CB HUNT IN T.P.R. OF NEW YORK

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: FOR THOSE WHO EXCAL CB HUNT IN T.P.R. OF NEW YORK

Post by xcaliber »

I read that regulation a few times, and I cannot put a date on this rule. My bet would be that it's from the late 80's to mid 90's before the compound models started changing limb configurations, etc. It's often found that the crossbow regulations were just modified to include people that are not handicapped, meaning they took out or added to the old rule. Worth a few calls in my opinion, and get some posts on social media questioning it. Someone has to kick the ball first, may as well be you. :wink:
Good Luck Anthony, glass half full buddy!

https://www.dec.ny.gov/about/259.html
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

You have lots of time before you retire , hang in there . If I am not mistaken Illinois had a similar and it has been changed . if I am wrong someone please let me know.
W.M.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Somebody else already pointed out that if you are hunting on your own land, it would be unlikely that any enforcement officer is going to look very closely at your bow. If crossbows are legal, and you don't have some other accessory attached to it that would make it obviously a serious violation, why would anyone look further? If night hunting is illegal for you, and you have a military grade night sight, that changes everything.

I seriously doubt that any enforcement officer is going to carry with him a list of all available makes and models of crossbow and their draw weights. I guess that information is just a cell phone call away--if enforcement agencies are really that focused on such an issue. Maybe an enforcement officer who in general hates archery hunters, or hates crossbows in particular would be motivated to THINK about the issue enough to enforce that rule. Maybe. But on your own land?

I don't know the enforcement attitude in your locale. I suspect though, that it would be a lot like enforcing speed limit laws. If you are travelling 70 mph in a 65 mph zone, what are the chances of getting a ticket? 75 in a 65? 80 in a 65? You could get ticketed in each example I offered, but you know minor breaches don't get tickets-- unless you make comments about the officer's mother, or some other motivational remark.

If this was a big enforcement issue, you would likely see officers carrying some sort of scales with them so they could test every bow right on site. After all, limbs could weaken with age and become "legal", or, people could switch labeling.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Hi5 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:19 pm
Somebody else already pointed out that if you are hunting on your own land, it would be unlikely that any enforcement officer is going to look very closely at your bow. If crossbows are legal, and you don't have some other accessory attached to it that would make it obviously a serious violation, why would anyone look further? If night hunting is illegal for you, and you have a military grade night sight, that changes everything.

I seriously doubt that any enforcement officer is going to carry with him a list of all available makes and models of crossbow and their draw weights. I guess that information is just a cell phone call away--if enforcement agencies are really that focused on such an issue. Maybe an enforcement officer who in general hates archery hunters, or hates crossbows in particular would be motivated to THINK about the issue enough to enforce that rule. Maybe. But on your own land?

I don't know the enforcement attitude in your locale. I suspect though, that it would be a lot like enforcing speed limit laws. If you are travelling 70 mph in a 65 mph zone, what are the chances of getting a ticket? 75 in a 65? 80 in a 65? You could get ticketed in each example I offered, but you know minor breaches don't get tickets-- unless you make comments about the officer's mother, or some other motivational remark.

If this was a big enforcement issue, you would likely see officers carrying some sort of scales with them so they could test every bow right on site. After all, limbs could weaken with age and become "legal", or, people could switch labeling.
.....and mind you, there are ONLY TWO conservation officers in the entire county. :eusa-think:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Remember.......the Teacher is always quiet during the test
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I dunno Anthony, they see Jersey plates in NY, there's gonna be some noses around. :lol: :lol:

Penalties for hunting violations can be very expensive, it just isn't worth testing things. JMHO.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I'm friends with a couple CO's. And I can tell you first hand, they know more than you think they do. They know who hunts where, where they live, what they drive, who they hunt with. And they don't forget

Its their job. And most of them are very good at it. Most of their snitches are every day hunters just like yourselves. And half the time they don't even know they've just snitched on someone else. Its just conversation.

One thing to consider, is that someone owned that land before you did... And who knows what they did or didn't do for that matter.

Point is, if you want to push the limits of the law, be prepared to take what comes your way.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

janesy wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:05 pm
I'm friends with a couple CO's. And I can tell you first hand, they know more than you think they do. They know who hunts where, where they live, what they drive, who they hunt with. And they don't forget

Its their job. And most of them are very good at it. Most of their snitches are every day hunters just like yourselves. And half the time they don't even know they've just snitched on someone else. Its just conversation.

One thing to consider, is that someone owned that land before you did... And who knows what they did or didn't do for that matter.

Point is, if you want to push the limits of the law, be prepared to take what comes your way.
Yeah I agree with this. The decision is yours, as is taking the consequences of the decision. Totally up to you.

To me, it doesn't make sense to risk possibly losing the ability to hunt your own property over what is most certainly a STUPID law. Especially when you sacrifice almost nothing using an Excal with a 200lb draw. In the meantime, start reaching out and see what it takes to get the law changed. No doubt others feel as you do and there is probably some effort in this direction. Excal (and other manufacturers) may even help lobby as it benefits them too.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

nchunterkw wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:13 am
janesy wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:05 pm

Yeah I agree with this. The decision is yours, as is taking the consequences of the decision. Totally up to you.

To me, it doesn't make sense to risk possibly losing the ability to hunt your own property over what is most certainly a STUPID law. Especially when you sacrifice almost nothing using an Excal with a 200lb draw. In the meantime, start reaching out and see what it takes to get the law changed. No doubt others feel as you do and there is probably some effort in this direction. Excal (and other manufacturers) may even help lobby as it benefits them too.
.....gonna pick up a GRIZZ2 at Cabella's and throw my other Excal's in the garbage!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Anthony it's simple....contact one of the Game Wardens in your area and ask him point blank the questions you would ask one of us!!
I have worked with and around a bunch of Game Wardens in my time. It's like Chris said, they know their job. It's what they have chosen to do for a living. They ain't dummies!! :lol:

When I retired and moved back to the sleepy little place where I grew up, the first thing I did was contact the local Game Warden. Told him who I was, where I would be hunting, and who was or was not allowed on the property. I even gave him the combination to the locks on the gates!! :thumbup:

I've had to deal with him on a couple of issues with folks trespassing and one poaching. Sure makes it easier to do if you have a working relationship with your local game officials. JMHO. :wink:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

amythntr wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:24 am
.....having purchased a nice parcel of land in T.P.R. of NY my intent is to not only rifle hunt but to also CB hunt on the property....NYS has an archaic law of a 200lb draw weight maximum.....obviously, substantially all Excalibur CB's are well above this maximum. I know I could get a wide body older model....I'm 5x5 and really do not want a 5x5 crossbow no matter how great they are.

.....I do not want to put anyone on the spot wit a response, so you can respond in a PM if need be.....

.....the question is, "How do you handle this archaic law?" "Do you just ignore it?" "What CB do you actually use in NYS?"

.....Again, if you want, just PM me with your response and I will also share what I have been told!
Anthony, a quick Google search brought up a facebook group called "New York Crossbow Coalition".
Maybe worth joining, them seem to be lobbying for a few crossbow issues, I'd be surprised if they aren't already on top of this.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I know all of my Christian brothers were praying for me that I would not take the chance of hunting with an offending Excal in NY....I just bought a used GRZ2 on eBay for a good price....you no longer have to worry as I have chosen the "narrow" road awaiting the law change..... :eusa-pray:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

:thumbup:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Good to hear. You never go wrong doing right.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

nchunterkw wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:31 am
Good to hear. You never go wrong doing right.
Exactly!!! :thumbup: :eusa-clap:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!