My Buddy put in a food plot.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Riflemanz

My Buddy put in a food plot.

Post by Riflemanz »

My Buddy in wood county Wi put in a food plot this year. He planted rye and hopes to see lots of deer by September. His neighbor had all the equipment to do it. Looks pretty nice!
Last edited by Riflemanz on Mon May 03, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
janesy

Re: My Buddy put in a food plot.

Post by janesy »

Wow that's awesome!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

It's looking up for your fall season!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Riflemanz wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:41 pm
My Buddy in wood county Wi put in a food plot this year. He planted rye and hopes to see lots of deer by September. His neighbor had all the equipment to do it. Looks pretty nice!
looks good, but honestly rye would have been better planted come late august/early september. the deer will use it in its young/tender stages but come late summer it will be tall, tough and headed out and deer will most likely ignore it for the most part as a food source.
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

He's new to this and will learn what to plant and when. I don't know anything about crops either.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Riflemanz wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:39 pm
He's new to this and will learn what to plant and when. I don't know anything about crops either.
i am no expert by any means, but i have been planting them for 20 or so years so i know a few things regarding them. would be glad to answer questions for him if i know the answer. it's fun and very rewarding hobby, just like rolling your own arrows or reloading is
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

There's nothing like a food plot ripe, or just after picked in the fall early season, if deer like it, and it's available, I'm hunting close to it! Looks really nice with the surrounding cover, and I imagine a water source nearby also. :thumbup:

:eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

I did a very small plot of sugar beets and turnips in our orchard last year and it paid off. Ma got her first deer right in that plot. The turnips took a beating but kept growing till the seasons end. I have it all tilled up and after turkey season I'll add a load of manure and start again. I would like to expand it but there are lots of stumps, roots and boulders. Anybody have any ideas on what to plant in such a rough area?
Take care
Hatchet
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Hatchet wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:46 pm
I did a very small plot of sugar beets and turnips in our orchard last year and it paid off. Ma got her first deer right in that plot. The turnips took a beating but kept growing till the seasons end. I have it all tilled up and after turkey season I'll add a load of manure and start again. I would like to expand it but there are lots of stumps, roots and boulders. Anybody have any ideas on what to plant in such a rough area?
Take care
Hatchet
cannot give much input about your "rough area" other than hiring a dozer to go at it for you, they can accomplish more than you can imagine in an hour of work. but if the beets/turnips worked last year imo no need to fix what aint broken. maybe add some forage radish just to give them more variety? just a thought
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

Turnips and other brasiccas easily take root if they have good contact with the ground. All that is needed is to rake, seed, tamp down and rain. In my food plot last year they destroyed radishes and kale. Most brasicca will reproduce to some extent. If allowed, radishes will go to seed and reproduce and established Kale will freeze and come back in the spring. I planted beans last year in strips and the deer wiped it out by the time summer rolled around. This year I planted oats at the perimeter about 15' wide in hope that deer hit the young plants before they get to the beans. The main food source for fall will be brasiccas planted in August.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Boo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:57 am
Turnips and other brasiccas easily take root if they have good contact with the ground. All that is needed is to rake, seed, tamp down and rain. In my food plot last year they destroyed radishes and kale. Most brasicca will reproduce to some extent. If allowed, radishes will go to seed and reproduce and established Kale will freeze and come back in the spring. I planted beans last year in strips and the deer wiped it out by the time summer rolled around. This year I planted oats at the perimeter about 15' wide in hope that deer hit the young plants before they get to the beans. The main food source for fall will be brasiccas planted in August.
don,
i have never tried beans, but have thought about it but thought fancy equipment was needed to plant them. did you just broadcast the seed :?:
thanks
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 am
Boo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:57 am
don,
i have never tried beans, but have thought about it but thought fancy equipment was needed to plant them. did you just broadcast the seed :?:
thanks
I broadcasted this year. Normally I use a 2 row corn planter but it getting the rows close together isn't ideal because of the relationship between tractor spacing/ideal bean spacing/corn planter spacing. I'm not going to buy a seeder because of the high cost so I used the below. It needs a good bit of hp. I'm using an RTV 900 with just over 20 hp.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

What hatchet said, turnips and beets. If he has materials, fence off a big plot in the middle. Save it for opening season!!

Northwoods deer will be hammering the oak crop and pretty much ignore the rye.

Any kind of clover around the edges.they'll dig up snow to get leftovers.

That plots was big enough to try several option !!
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I just talked to my Buddy and he said he’s going to
Plant rye, radishes, rape and beans to start. So by September something should be growing.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Deer , most likely, will be tearing it up. Good choices.

Its a lot of time a nd effort, not to mention cost!

My advice to fence off a portion for opening season really works. It gives that section of crops a chance to mature.
Pick an area within bow range of any stands .

A farmer n. Of eagle river has had great success , using this method. They seem to bag the biggest bucks every yr. They drop a section of fence a few days before late rifle.