125 Grain Slick Tricks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

125 Grain Slick Tricks

Post by CT.HNTR »

I have been experimenting with some different combinations of broadheads, FOC and total bolt weights and have found that with my setup the 125 grain slick tricks fly real well and seem to have great penetration with a total bolt weight of 432 grains. They consistently hit within a half inch of my field points at 40 yards.

I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone using these heads on how they perform in the field. Any comments and/or feedback regarding penetration, passing through bone, blade sharpness and blood trails etc. will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Normous

Re: 125 Grain Slick Tricks

Post by Normous »

Slick Tricks have historically filled trailer sized containers of deer since production started. Shoot in confidence.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I use those a lot along with RamCats. Penetration is very good and they are very tough. Unless you hit heavy bone (or a rock on the other side) you should be able to resharpen blades.

Blood trails are a very subjective topic. If you hit the deer broadside and passthrough, most anything will give you a good trail. IMO slick tricks produce fine trails, but my definition of a good blood trail and others may vary. Some guys want non-stop blood, 6" wide from the POI to the deer. Great when it happens but not realistic in my view.

My setup is similar to yours. 125G Slick Trick on a Zombie Slayer, total weight around 425gr. As a testament to that combo, I shot a buck 2 years ago that busted me and was facing me. The arrow went in the brisket, and exited through one of the hams. So a pass through...but the long way :lol:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Thanks for the feedback as it gives me lots of confidence ! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

CT.HNTR wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:58 am
Thanks for the feedback as it gives me lots of confidence ! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Yeah, you are good to go I think. Should pass through everything
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

I’ve only killed one deer with a 125 gr Slick Trick. It sliced ribs and the blood trail was easy to see. The only comments to make is to make sure the beveled side of the washer contacts the blades and I had to align every broadhead.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I at one time used FOC ‘s shot a deer and the hole was so big that it got plugged up and no blood and lost the deer that eve and found it in the morning half gone. That was the second time so l switched to Slick Trick. And shot several deer with them . They worked great for me . I am not saying that the FOC doesn’t work but they are not for me. J M H O
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

I’ve had awesome pass Thrus with these slick tricks, they shoot straight out to 40 like you say and have had them passed thru far side shoulders of deer and front side shoulders of deer.
I have no plans of ever switching these heads and recently bought a few packs just so I got em in stock just in case :)
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've shot a few deer with Slick Tricks and they all fell in sight. The blood trails are good, but with proper shot placement they'll be largely unnecessary. I've always shot the 100gr heads and they flew fairly well from an arrow about the same as yours. Adding 25 grains should make them even more accurate.

As mentioned, spin test them to make sure you have them tightened down straight. Then fire them with confidence. You'll be hard pressed to find a more durable deadly broadhead.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Spin testing and alignment of your broadheads for great broadhead flight. It is worth the effort.

https://youtu.be/__duPM7CfrA
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

good video, thanks
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I've been using Slick Tricks since the first 100gr came on the market, I believe that was in 2001. The first buck I shot didn't go beyond 20yds. I've shot several since, and none went beyond 40 yards.
Ever since the 125 gr came out I've been using them. I find that they fly "best" when the blades are aligned vertical and horizontal i.e. "+".
Also, simply by rotating the washer, it will remove any wobble and they will spin true. They are tough as nails and easy to re-sharpen.
Another one of my favorite broadhead is the one-piece 125 gr. Montec G5. Like the Slick Tricks they fly true, are even tougher. and they can be sharpen and reused many times over
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I like the Slick Trick 150 gr Mags and on my 20" BEEs at 485 gr they have the same POI as field points out to my max of 40 yards.

Arrow FOC Calculation

FOC method that I use for my 20” BEEs (Note - FOC = Front of Center)

1. Total arrow length minus the BH/FP = 20.5” (nock to insert)

2. Balance point with BH/FP installed = 14.125” (nock to balance point)

3. Arrow mid point is 10.25” (1/2 length)

4. Difference between mid point and balance point = 3.875” (14.125” – 10.25” = 3.875”)

5. FOC is the difference, 3.875” divided by total length minus the BH/FP 20.5” = .189024.

6. Convert to % by multiply .189024 x 100 = 18.9% FOC
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

So I settled in on the combo I will be using this year.

18.0 inch Zombies, 110 grain front insert, aluminum rear nock at 17 grains, blazer vanes with helical and 125 grain Slick Tricks. Total weight equals 440 grains with an FOC of 19.03%

At 40 yards they consistently hit within one half inch of my field points with the tip of the broadhead starting to exit the far side of my Rinehart 18-1 target.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks