Which Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252

Which Scope

Post by jody5252 »

Decisions, Decisions... :think: :eusa-think: Looking for a reliable, tough, and clear Scope. I prefer a fixed power. I have been reviewing a Excal. Dead zone, and a Hawke 3x32 IR The Dead zone has a speed adjust, The Hawke has a setting of 340 fps... I am pretty sure that either one of these Scopes are good. But I just wanted to hear from the "experts" Please list the pros/cons of each. Or any other Scope types/brands, that are recommended. (Must be fixed power Scope) Thanks, J.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
janesy

Re: Which Scope

Post by janesy »

Nikon bolt XR is pretty high up on the list of fixed scopes
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My favorite, I will have one on all of mine. Perfect size for deer, and I imagine bear hunting.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

jody5252 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:33 pm
Decisions, Decisions... :think: :eusa-think: Looking for a reliable, tough, and clear Scope. I prefer a fixed power. I have been reviewing a Excal. Dead zone, and a Hawke 3x32 IR The Dead zone has a speed adjust, The Hawke has a setting of 340 fps... I am pretty sure that either one of these Scopes are good. But I just wanted to hear from the "experts" Please list the pros/cons of each. Or any other Scope types/brands, that are recommended. (Must be fixed power Scope) Thanks, J.
I would say that at 30 yards is close enough until you get really fast or far out there, the speed then makes a big enough difference that I recommend shooting to the maximum distance you want to hunt and back out shooting to see if you are high or low.
janesy

Post by janesy »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 5:55 pm
My favorite, I will have one on all of mine. Perfect size for deer, and I imagine bear hunting.
Worked last night :thumbup:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The nikon p3 is the new replacement for the bolt as mentioned above great scope very simple small and rugged .l just ordered one for my new wooden wonder y25.
My only other choice is discontinued....the luepold crossbones.
Don't let the speed ring be a factor perfect for a 330 to 355 fps crossbow.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 7:50 pm
The nikon p3 is the new replacement for the bolt as mentioned above great scope very simple small and rugged .l just ordered one for my new wooden wonder y25.
My only other choice is discontinued....the luepold crossbones.
Don't let the speed ring be a factor perfect for a 330 to 355 fps crossbow.
I gotta get mine mounted up soon on my newly acquired Y25 as well. The P3 is a great scope, just different caps as far as I can tell. Getting hard to find them though.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Where are y’all ordering all these Nikon P3scopes from since Nikon is out of scope business?
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

I use Leupold Vari-x-III and VX-III 1.5-5x20 with heavy duplex. Vari-x-II shotgun scopes 1-4x20 with heavy duplex also make a good crossbow scope.
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:35 am
Where are y’all ordering all these Nikon P3scopes from since Nikon is out of scope business?
Excellent point! Nikon scopes were a good value.

I've been very happy with my Nikon range finder.

Vortex CROSSFIRE® II 2-7X32 CROSSBOW looks like a nice choice. but it's not a fixed scope.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:35 am
Ebay had the best price, but Amazon has them for over 2 hundo! I got mine delivered for $157. Took me a while to find one.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

My basic most important personal criteria for a scope is simplicity l don't want to be looking out at a fishnet looking reticle.....simple crosshairs and mini circles are just fine ...no need to reinvent the wheel.
Next would be compactness.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Driftless hunter

longbow joe wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:07 pm
My basic most important personal criteria for a scope is simplicity l don't want to be looking out at a fishnet looking reticle.....simple crosshairs and mini circles are just fine ...no need to reinvent the wheel.
Next would be compactness.
I've been looking through various scopes mounted on various crossbows (Excalibur, Ten Point, Mission, Center Point, Ravin, etc...) the past few months.

I can honestly say I liked the basic Ten Point Multiline scope the best by far. The crossbow scopes with dots for every 10 yards up to 100 yards are the ones that I dislike the most. I don't want to be reading tiny numbers when I am trying to shoot a deer.

I like the bold 20, 30, 40 crosshair lines of the Ten Point Multiline scope. My old eyes can see them quite clearly. Three bold lines with a short 50 yard line is all I would use for hunting. I prefer simple. I don't need or want anything beyond that.

I am not saying this is the best scope choice. I just prefer how the crosshairs are done on this scope.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Check excalibur scope. On ebay.

Some nice deals.

A decent scope is averaging $150

Better scope is $200

Premium can run 300 +

80 % of accurate kill shots is the scope!

Better the optics , clearer the sight picture.
I agree with non cluttered reticle for simple 30 40 yrd shots.
I hunt the woods , rarely do I get open meadow or clearing shots out to 60 or 80.

I shoot a red dot scope now but bought a P3 nikon , if I choose to upgrade.
Driftless hunter

elkaholic wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:16 pm
Check excalibur scope. On ebay.

Some nice deals.

A decent scope is averaging $150

Better scope is $200

Premium can run 300 +

80 % of accurate kill shots is the scope!

Better the optics , clearer the sight picture.
I agree with non cluttered reticle for simple 30 40 yrd shots.
I hunt the woods , rarely do I get open meadow or clearing shots out to 60 or 80.

I shoot a red dot scope now but bought a P3 nikon , if I choose to upgrade.
I need to buy a crossbow to put it on first!

I've been shooting a single fix pin with a string peep for 30+ years. I would say my accurate shots come with practice, but I am still using a compound bow.

I've shot the Mag 340 @ an archery shop, and the Excalibur sight is not bad. I just prefer the Ten Point Multiline one better. The prices @ eBay you quoted for the scopes are the same as their website prices.