String wax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Toyotun04

String wax

Post by Toyotun04 »

Hello everyone, I'm new to crossbows. Can I use excalibur serving wax to wax my string? I've been using string snot that I bought when got my suppresser 400. The archery shop that I bought at said use it on string and rail, but serving. He actually said do nothing to serving. I been on youtube and spoke to a guy at excalibur, he said lightly wax servings not even worry about rail. What's your all idea/ thoughts? Thanks
Excalibur micro suppresser 400td, 16.5 inch zombie slayers, slik trik 150 gr. crossbow broadheads
xcaliber

Re: String wax

Post by xcaliber »

This is a good question, and I do this personally. Now, I do make my own, and change them frequently, so my opinion is my what I do for mine. I wax the string only, the servings, nope. I find that the servings from the factory are Angel Majesty, and over waxing them CAN cause separation which leads to premature failure. I think that a new string a year is reasonable for someone that shoots a good bit, and hunts a good bit then maybe every other year if you use it less. :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Toyotun04

Post by Toyotun04 »

Well when I bought this bow the guy at the shop told me, crossbows are like rifles that when you get it sighted in you don't shoot it. Unless, you want to deal with string issues. I decided I want to shoot mine and deal with it. I ordered a new string to have on hand, I've already had to have my serving redone, it started separating and finally broke. Somebody told me that the string snot I was using on the rail probably caused it due to it having silicone in it. So I've bought some ex wax serving wax, because someone else told me to lightly wax the serving and wax the string. I don't think I got 100 shots out of my string before the serving gave up the ghost.
Excalibur micro suppresser 400td, 16.5 inch zombie slayers, slik trik 150 gr. crossbow broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I like to use no wax, and keep the rail slick & clean. Spray WD-40, or Jigaloo, on a paper towel lightly, then use it to both clean & lube the rail. You are basically taking off the dirt & grit that is airborne from the rail.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I figured out you have a Tundra. :lol: :lol: You here in USA? Have you tried a Flemish string? How long have you been using the Excalibur? Lot's of questions, but you seem to be doing well to be on top of the strings before hand, etc. If you're new to the addiction, welcome aboard.

Dan
Toyotun04

Post by Toyotun04 »

Yes, I live in western ky. I ve hunted and shot guns and bowsmost of my life. Loved bowhunting till arthritis wouldn't let me shoot humanely anymore, so gave it up about 8 years ago. Bought my crossbow about 2 weeks ago, absolutely love it. I'm just trying to learn everything I can about it. The strong is really a big issue. No, haven't tried Fleming strings yet and yes I drive a tundra. Thanks for welcoming me, glad to be here.
Toyotun04

Post by Toyotun04 »

String is the big issue. Sorry
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I’m not sure what length the string should be, haven’t owned that model. If you set your brace height, then remove and measure the length end to end, give me the length and I’ll twist you one to try. There are several good guys here that sell them, so if you like mine you could get some down the road.
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Suppressor 400 uses a micro string.

Worst salesman of the year award goes to the guy that told you to not shoot crossbows any more than sighting in 🤦‍♂️
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Toyotun04

Post by Toyotun04 »

He told me the more I shoot it, the more string issues I'd have. I told him to order me another string. He had a couple micro strings there and he said they wouldn't fit my bow, suppresser 400 td. I'd like to try one one of the flemish strings, thanks. When I get the new string I'll measure and get back to you. I've just watched so many youtube videos and talked to several people, lightly wax your serving and string, use rail lube, don't use rail lube. It's pretty confusing.
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

congrats on the Excalibur. if you can find the time, shoot that thing a lot. I've got a new boo string ad haven't had time to put it on yet. busy time of year.and I only work part time. :D starting in august I shoot a lot more.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
janesy

Post by janesy »

Toyotun04 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:24 pm
He told me the more I shoot it, the more string issues I'd have. I told him to order me another string. He had a couple micro strings there and he said they wouldn't fit my bow, suppresser 400 td. I'd like to try one one of the flemish strings, thanks. When I get the new string I'll measure and get back to you. I've just watched so many youtube videos and talked to several people, lightly wax your serving and string, use rail lube, don't use rail lube. It's pretty confusing.
Ok, well I guess technically he's not wrong. But he's either the worst crossbow salesman or the best string salesman in the business.

Lets address the string issue first. You bought the fastest and strongest micro they offer. It's logical to expect that the wear item on your bow, the string specifically the serving, is going to wear faster than if you bought a 308Short. But, to suggest that you should shoot it less to avoid string issues is bad advice. You're bow is a top of the line hunting model, repetitive shooting on a daily basis is probably not something most people do with it, but there is certainly no reason why you can't do that. Most people won't shoot a 400TD 100 times in their lifetime... But they aren't on this forum :lol:

Also, I'm very curious to hear what string he has ordered for you if he had micro strings there already. :eusa-think:

The best advice I can offer would be to either get a new string or have the first string reserved and shoot it a bunch of times, then take a pic of the serving and post it up here and we can help you diagnose if you have an issue with the bows trigger latches or any other issue that is accelerating string wear. Talk to your neighbor xcalibur there and follow his advice on waxing. For now, use sparingly until the potential problem is found.

The second tip, is to build/buy a jig and learn how to reserve yourself. Reserving strings is a thing you'll need to know if you want to play with fast bows. Reserving a bow over 400fps every 100-200 shots is not uncommon for every bow brand.

Welcome aboard!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Welcome to a great site. Go with a Flemish string. It's going to stretch a bit when you first use it so keep the brace height adjusted.
I drive a 01 Tundra that's still going strong! I just put new plugs in it. Very easy job with the I Force V8.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

wheelsquad wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:57 pm
Suppressor 400 uses a micro string.

Worst salesman of the year award goes to the guy that told you to not shoot crossbows any more than sighting in 🤦‍♂️
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

Dave :eusa-popcorn:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods