Turkey 2021

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Doe Master
Site Admin

Turkey 2021

Post by Doe Master »

Waited until figured the season was over to post this .
May 25th started with me not carrying a gun . Decide to hunt with my nephew . Day started with a bird gobbling on the roost but when he hit the ground he walked away from us despite my best efforts . So we got up and moved to where I thought he may head . We were treated to a bunch of gobbling but he hit one of the many trails to go around us . So we got up and moved on him again . When we set up once again I got a bird down the trail from us interested . But while we were having our conversation with him , the original bird came up on our right side . John being right handed could not get the shot . So we watched and prayed but to no avail .
The week for the most part was like a bad rendition of Groundhog Day . Gobble on the roost , hit the ground and shut up .
On the Sunday I had a repeat once again . So sitting in a spot they had came to before I floating out some occasional sweet talking . I was hoping for one to sound off or come in silent . So I was watching around me for the silent approach . Instead I had a silent intruder hunting me . When it got to about 15 yards I took the shot .
May 4th changed . :)
I had a bird sounding off on the roost like normal but several hundred yards off the property . I guess he must have been separated from his usual girlfriends . Instead of walking away he came towards me . :) Problem is when he got to within 45-50 yards he put the brakes on behind some trees . I gave him some content purrs and scratching but he went silent plus hidden . Finally I had to make some yelps . He sounded off to my left . He was circling me . But when he cleared a tree at about 40-45 yards I ended his circling .
I took a few pictures at the scene . I now put two feathers out for people from my past and present in remembrance since Dad passing .
When I met up with my brother and SIL got a few more pictures .
Two days later I was driving back from another hunting spot and got a phone call from my brother . The last couple of years he has had a tough time with birds not cooperating . He has had lots of opportunities , just something doesn`t work out . Well he was hunting a spot close to the house for him and he gets a bird gobbling like crazy . He sets up and it turns out it was two birds . But they proceed to do their dancing in some tight stuff on his right slightly . After about an hour of coaxing one of them hits a open spot for him . Monkey is off his back . :)
We go back to that spot a day or so later . Upon inspection it was not quite as clear as thought . But who has not done that . With shotgun not as big of a deal . While standing there though we have a bird gobble . So set Rhonda up on the same tree but with a bit of extra pruning this time in the direction of the bird . I worked this bird for a while but he stood his ground not committing the final bit .
All that did was put him up at the top of my list now . :)
I spent every day I had off hunting him to no avail . But he did have a sort of routine .
On Saturday May 22nd I had a loose plan formulated . The birds that morning didn`t wake up until about an hour into the day . Finally one gobbled so I moved on him . Set up and waited with some soft calls . Ended up with two birds showing up but one was a brown back and she did not want to share her man . She guided him away across the field from me . :?
But then my target bird gobbled behind me some . So moved into a spot I had scouted before . This time I was going to wait not calling to a spot he liked to come to . He moved across the field towards me inch by agonizing inch gobbling all the way . He got to within 60-70 yards then all of a sudden started to run from left to right . :shock: Turns out another gobbler had come out to the field without me noticing . The first gobbler proceeded to chase the second all the way back across the field away from me . But I did notice 4 birds on the side of the field . Figured they were 4 hens but turned out they were 4 Jakes . At this point I am thinking I have only 2 weekends left and if one presents itself . Well the lead bird came into about 30 yards . So I offered him a ride in my truck .
I took a few pictures in the bush of the bird and reflecting on the season so far . Then when I got to the truck used the tripod for a couple more .
Now for the best part in my opinion . My SIL is a trooper . She works for Canada Post as a trainer so when not teaching she can work from home making up lesson plans . So she has been going out by herself a lot of mornings . She had been hunting a certain bird close to their house . She would sit here and he would be there . The only constant was he would stand in the middle of the field and gobble .
Well on Saturday she got up once again to another beautiful sunrise despite a lack of sleep . Her bird played the same dance routine . Being tired and hungry she went home .
She decided she was going to lay down for a nap to a bunch of ribbing from her husband about not shooting a bird while hugging a pillow . :)
She had her nap then rushed back out . While walking in she ran into an individual on one of the trails drinking a beer . She was going to ask which way he came from but decided to get to her destination . While approaching a break in the trees by the field she decided to take her gun off her shoulder . Upon reaching the break she is surprised to see a gobbler standing very close to her unaware of her presence . I guess with the wind moving everything around he never even noticed her approach .
He ended up weighing 24 pounds , 10.5 inch beard and 1.5 spurs . Her persistence paid off . :D
My nephew didn`t make it out anymore due to other commitments .
A good season for sure . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
janesy

Re: Turkey 2021

Post by janesy »

Excellent season Kev. Great stories and pics. Thanks for sharing
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

great story, thanx. missed my bird year
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
Normous

Post by Normous »

Especially like the dead yote!!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Awsome season Kevin Great pictures and stories as usual.
Gongrats
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Congrats!! Some nice hooks on that bird!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Nice write-up! Congrats on a very successful turkey season to you all!
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats to all
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200