Fixed blade broadheads 150 grain

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

redfin

Fixed blade broadheads 150 grain

Post by redfin »

I was hoping to get some feedback from other who shoot fixed blades. Looking for some other options other than the Boltcutter. I would like to stay with 150 grain for now. Anyone shooting 150 grain offerings from Slick trick, Magnus, Wasp or Muzzy?

Regarding Excaliber bolts and inserts in general.......
How much does a standard Excal quill insert weigh?
Are the factory inserts easy to remove? Thinking of bigging up the insert to be able to try some 100 and 125 grain broadhead options
Is there any advantage/drawback to using a longer bolt in a Micro 335? My experience with xbows is with longer bolts.
Boo

Re: Fixed blade broadheads 150 grain

Post by Boo »

It is difficult to beat the accuracy that can be potentially brought out with 110 gr inserts or a 150 gr broadhead. But a 92 gr insert gives flexibility of using collar weights, internal weights that attach to the backside of the insert along with using 100 or 125 gr broadheads. The downside of using 110 gr is that depending on broadhead weight and the use of a lighted nock, you can end up with an arrow that has more weight than needed. A 350 gr arrow will zip through a whitetail with energy left over. About 500 gr total is nice and above that you sacrifice trajectory but gain lowered noise. Go with manipulating weight with heavier weights rather than a longer arrow which if too long will become a PIA. It will snag everything and you can't set the bow down on its nose.
Front inserts can be removed with heat but I don't do it because I'm not willing to take the risk of compromising the shafts integrity. Many do it though successfully but I bet some have bumped into some small problems. The heat needed to remove so.e hot melts like Fer-L-tite is enough to damage the resin used in the arrow, so be careful.
I do not know if the inserts are threaded all the way but if thr Excalibur inserts are, then add weight by screwing on an allen bolt or buy the brass weights from Black Eagle Arrow.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
redfin

Post by redfin »

I will have to see if the inserts are threaded. Adding weight in the back I am familiar with as I do that for my recurve arrows. I still would have to remove the nocks to do that. I just wanted to avoid messing with anything for now so a 150 broadhead option would be ideal. I have some boltcutters and they shoot decent but I think I can do better especially given the small cut. I'd be interested if some forum members have used them with success. I have used Magnus Stingers and Wasp Sharpshooters both in 150 grain from my trad bows but they are zipping along at literally less than half the speed of the xbow. Just was looking for some encouragement on trying some other options.
As far as a longer bolt goes, I hunt two states and one has a 18" minimum on the length of the bolt excluding the BH so I was hoping for some direction on what seems to work well. I have a micro suppressor TD. I don't see my model listed anymore on Excaliber's site. Mine is less than a year old and I believe it was advertised at 340 FPS. My chronograph say 318-320 fps with a 400 grain arrow.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The 18" is actually perfect for the 400 Suppressor. That is what I use in mine. The OEM arrows are Executioners and I went to Zombies because I wanted to end up with an arrow with less deflection so I could not be limited to what weight I could use up front.
I handle never used Bolt Cutters because of the smallish cut. If you do a search you'll find a spotty track record and some complaints of poor blood trails.
redfin

Post by redfin »

Appreciate your feedback. My Micro Suppressor is a slower model. Not sure how much that will effect flight.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shoot a Micro 335 and have used all sorts of things to make heavy arrows. My typical setup is:

16" Zombie Slayers
110gr brass insert
125gr RamCat or SLick Trick Magnum
Lumenok

Brings me in around 415gr and hits like a ton of bricks.

To increase accuracy you want:
very stiff shafts - Zombies and about the stiffest, but GT Nitro Pro is ok as well
High-ish FOC - like ~~20%
very consistent arrows - good straightness, spine matched and indexed
high quality broadhead that spins true

I can typically put 6 arrows with my fixed blades on them in a golf ball at 40yds off a rest. Plenty good for deer. Others here are much better than me.

Fixed Broadhead recommendations
RamCat 125
Slick Trick 125
Magnus Stingers 125 or 150 - they fly really well from these bows - killed one bison with a 150
Montecs - fly great but I can't sharpen them to my liking

My thought is you will get a big boost if you upgrade from the Quills to Zombies. A lot of stuff flies really well on a Zombie
Have fun tinkering!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
janesy

Post by janesy »

I haven't tried them myself, but I would personally go for the Wasp Sledgehammer before I tried anything else if I wanted 150.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

redfin wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:07 pm
Appreciate your feedback. My Micro Suppressor is a slower model. Not sure how much that will effect flight.
Sorry, you called your bow a Micro Suppressor TD. I'm guessing you have a 355 Suppressor
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Sevr Robusto is also another good 150gr broadhead option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY3eAsmeSN4
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have a couple Xbow customers using the US made low profile TOOTH OF THE ARROW 175 gr 1 3/16" (4) blade with excellent accuracy.

TOTA is another fixed option for those wanting a heavier fixed head that does not break the BANK and is machined from one piece steel. Out of the packaging they are VERY sharp and come with a safety broadhead wrench which is very welcome.

This smaller broadhead company has been a pleasure to deal with I might add.

https://www.toothofthearrowbroadheads.com
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Normous wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:14 pm
I have a couple Xbow customers using the US made low profile TOOTH OF THE ARROW 175 gr 1 3/16" (4) blade with excellent accuracy.

TOTA is another fixed option for those wanting a heavier fixed head that does not break the BANK and is machined from one piece steel. Out of the packaging they are VERY sharp and come with a safety broadhead wrench which is very welcome.

This smaller broadhead company has been a pleasure to deal with I might add.

https://www.toothofthearrowbroadheads.com
Norm....great minds...I thought of these after my post. I've not tried hem but heard good things. It seems like you need a special sharpener though correct?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

^^Keith, I have half dozen of the TOTA sharpeners on the way and will report my findings back to you.
TOTA sharpeners likely work well on 2 blade fixed heads the way I see it.
22.5 degree angle according to TOTA.
The don't break the bank either.
The 175 gr was on the serious end of my 540 gr arrow late May during the Ontario spring bear hunt but I did not have the opportunity to use this fixed head. Its been a long time since a fixed blade has been affixed to my arrow and I sure I made a good choice using TOTA fixed.

The 125 gr TOTA four blade fly like darts I might add as a consideration .
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

wheelsquad wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:06 pm
Sevr Robusto is also another good 150gr broadhead option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY3eAsmeSN4
Replying to my own post... Thread title is about FIXED blade heads... Silly me

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
redfin

Post by redfin »

Boo wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:21 pm
redfin wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:07 pm
Sorry, you called your bow a Micro Suppressor TD. I'm guessing you have a 355 Suppressor
Sorry for the confusion. My bad. Yes, it's a 355 take down according to the box. I don't see this model listed anymore on the Excaliber site.

I am going to check out some of the above broadhead recommendations. Thanks guys!
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Can you post a picture of the box?

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360