Who Misses The Old Bows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

Who Misses The Old Bows

Post by CT.HNTR »

I miss the old bows like the Matrix 355, Matrix 380 and the Bulldog 380 and 400. While I understand why Excalibur came out with the Assassin and Micro series of bows I miss the old ones for their shear simplicity. So nothing is prefect and I had a few limb issues with my Bulldog 440 but nothing beats these bows for a combination of power and simplicity.

Who wishes Excalibur would bring these bows back even if it's only for a limited period?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
TPM

Re: Who Misses The Old Bows

Post by TPM »

I'm still shooting a Pheonix I've had since 2006. :-)
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have a good selection, but I think the "TANKS" of the past should be still available. I have sold, and passed on to others a few of the years, and there are a few I wish I kept. It would be very cool if Excalibur released vintage models periodically, I think it would do well, but then there are those that won't pay a fair price for a used one at time. :eusa-think:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

I will never part with my Matrix 380.
And a fair number of my Buddies have been so impressed with what it does, they have hunted down their own as well.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Those are still the new bows to me. Expected the list be the "EX" series. Still have my 380 and it is still my goto bow. After that my goto is an Exomax and after that a Micro.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Species8472 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:23 pm
Those are still the new bows to me. Expected the list be the "EX" series. Still have my 380 and it is still my goto bow. After that my goto is an Exomax and after that a Micro.
Agreed, especially the bulldogs, I consider them to be "newer", even though they are no longer in production. Matrix are kind of middle aged in my opinion.

I still have an Exo series model, basically have only kept it around for when my wife wants to shoot. Otherwise no, when I am shooting my micro or my Bulldog I don't miss the old Exo's one bit. The new ones shoot just as well for me and are much easier to handle.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

It's all perspective....its almost like "traditional crossbow " hunting .
My idol Roger rothaar once said." The compound never guaranteed success just as the recurves never prevented it" .Just an example of old vs new.
Makes a lot of sense...the smaller limb bows aren't as trouble free and in my opinion aren't as forgiving to shoot. All excalibur bows are simply less complicated than a wheeled bow no matter the wingspan.
The wide limbs don't bother me I'm 5'6" 159 pounds l feel like I'm walking in the woods to slay a dragon or whooly mammoth with my giant vortex over my shoulder l feel invincible!!!! And l feel even better that my limbs have a 99.9 chance of not snapping that day . long live the exo bows.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

My Exomax harvested more game than all the rest have combined. But given time, the rest will eventually catch up. If I was told I could only keep one, I think the Matrix 350 would be the last to leave. It's a pleasure to shoot and is crazy accurate.

The largest archery bucks taken by my daughter and I, and my son's first two deer were all taken with an old ExoMax.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I've owned at least a "baker's dozen" of Excalibur x-bows. Starting with the Wolverine (1989), then most of the Exo-series, several Matrix and one Micro (Axe 340).

Of the lot, the Vixens were the most "bullet proof". According to Bill Troubridge, even dryfiring them wouldn't harm them. In my experience, although the Matrix and Micros are accurate, they can't match the pinpoint accuracy of the "straight riser" Exo-series. Personally, I found that the Exomag, with the "straight riser" (not ExoMax) was the best for all round reliability, accuracy and power.

Although the Matrix series changed the landscape and lead to the Micros, if it wasn't for the speed wars and desire for smaller crossbows, I believe that the Exomag would still reign supreme. Unfortunately I sold mine.

Currently, I still own five Excaliburs, as shown below. If I could go back, knowing what I know now, the only ones I'd own would be the Exomag, Matrix 350 LE, and the Micro Axe 340. In my opinion they are the best in their respective class.
One might ask why the Matrix 350 over the Matrix 380. Well I base that on my personal experience. After I replaced the original limbs with the reinforced stiffer limbs, I find it much harder to cock, yet it doesn't perform any better.
That is why I'm considering selling it. If anyone is interested, let me know.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

We started with an Ibex and it was great. Went to the Matrix 380 and it is so fantastic it's hard to miss the Ibex. On the other hand, our Mag 340 is small, quiet and accurate but it just doesn't have the "hey you can trust me no matter what" attitude that the Matrix 380 has.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

From when l was 12 till my 50s l relied on compounds and recurves/ longbow that were barely over 200 fps and l killed many many a deer.
So my 255fps vixen is just pleanty enough. I think l killed about a dozen deer with my vixen with spitfires and cabellas lazerstrikes and the bolt went thru every one.
I love the exo bows but l think the vixen is the one that is my favorite it just does the job.l think that it's so fun to target shoot with that l just became so used to it its so easy and familiar to hunt with.
I actually love the kinda subdued "poonk" it makes its the sound of death
I often think of people like a friend of mine that had his ravin blow up in the prime time of last season ...the rocket bow was useless in its box getting mailed back.
....l caved in and lent him my matrix 330 . speed is useless if it's not reliable ...the tortis and the hair.
Instead of competing with tha space bows l think excalibur should focus on the "maturity " of its products
And reliability rather than competing with this nonsense.
And yes bring back a traditional exo model and see how it sells I'm sure they can tweak a little weight of it too.
And please ditch the db bars .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Still shoot a Pheonix and a rail shortened Vixen. 90lbs with a strait riser then change to matching scope and bolt forward riser on and becomes 115lbs. Only 2 crossbows I own these days but I am ok with it. What I would be more interested in would be an even lighter Excalibur around 40 - 50lbs for a in the house bow for close up shooting. :)
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I don't really miss the old wide bows. Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Carnivorous wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:43 am
I don't really miss the old wide bows. Lol
Me neither Jeff
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
grouse

Post by grouse »

Speed seems to be what sells crossbows these days and Excalibur wants to stay in business so they are building faster bows. I just want enough power to put arrows through deer at 30 yards in a bow that is reliable, accurate not too heavy and well balanced. Every Excalibur probably fits this formula. Extra power buys you nothing. A few posters in this thread have mentioned Matrix 350s as being favorites. A few years ago, with an SE350, I put a slick trick mag through a doe's chest and neck with one shot - a double pass through at 30 yards (she must have turned her head just as I shot). How much more power do you need?
axiom
350 SE