Special run on discont. bows, would you buy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Special run on discont. bows, would you buy?

Post by janesy »

Serious question, no smart comment from me, just curious.

We see a lot of posts about people longing for the old days, when bows were wide and wonderful. Often suggestions come up about a special run of old bows, that would shake new life into a brand.

But, given that the exo bows sell for pennies on the dollar these days, and are really only purchased by a select few who appreciate their benefits when found in estate sales or Craiglist ads. And further, they literally have twice as much raw material involved in their manufacturing process...

How much money, would you be willing to pay for a special run of Exo series bows brand new from Excalibur if they did it? Or Matrix bows for that matter.(keep in mind their were already lots of special edition Matrix bows offered to little or no fanfare. Think Linx)

Or let me word this differently, Would you pay the current market price for a crossbow with the same features as an EXO series bow?
Last edited by janesy on Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
nchunterkw

Re: Special run on discontinued bows

Post by nchunterkw »

I don't think I would. They are bullet proof with a lifetime warranty. Why not buy used?

Of course my bows are tools I hunt with. They don't have to be pretty....just pretty darn accurate. :D
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Here is my idea for what it's worth...

Bowhunting has been and always will be a 30 yard and in game. Build a 175lb bow with a straight non-thumbhole stock, add in some of the new advancements that are better (Nocks, Arrows, Limb Tips, Dampeners...etc.) give it an old school camo look (Mossy Oak Bottomland/Greenleaf or Realtree Original). A quiet 300 fps bullet proof bow with great arrow/broadhead flight that's easy on the back and hard on any North American animal walking.

I give to you... The Excalibur Classic...
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

flinthead wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:02 pm

Bowhunting has been and always will be a 30 yard and in game. Build a 175lb bow with a straight non-thumbhole stock, add in some of the new advancements that are better (Nocks, Arrows, Limb Tips, Dampeners...etc.) give it an old school camo look (Mossy Oak Bottomland/Greenleaf or Realtree Original). A quiet 300 fps bullet proof bow with great arrow/broadhead flight that's easy on the back and hard on any North American animal walking.

Yes, but you didn't answer my question. If Excalibur made a run of classics, would YOU pay for it? That's what I'm asking.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I wouldn't pay todays prices for a classic Excalibur. that's because I already own one. :wink:

It's the Exocet 200, which back in the day was more reasonablely priced. It's a sweet shooting crossbow, and I'll never sell it for any price.
However, my personal favorite was the Exomag. It also had a 200lbs draw weight like the Exocet 200, but the difference is that the Exomag put less stress on the limbs (when uncocked), because the "straight" riser did not "pre-load" the limbs with the extra 25lbs. Although I could adjust the string on both without a stringer, the "straight" riser on the Exomag allowed it to be done with less effort.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

janesy wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:47 pm
flinthead wrote:

Yes, but you didn't answer my question. If Excalibur made a run of classics, would YOU pay for it? That's what I'm asking.
Yes, absolutely!!

BUT... since I'm the one that thunk it up... :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle:
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

flinthead wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:56 pm
janesy wrote:
flinthead wrote:

Yes, absolutely!!

Buuuuttt... since I'm the one that thunk it up... :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle:
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Ankh

Re: Special run on discont. bows, would you buy?

Post by Ankh »

No. I'm happy with the micro platform (wish it was even more narrow) that is still dependable (or quickly fixed at camp...string, limbs, etc.). Some of the compact xbows have my interest as I still hunt and cover much tornado damaged overgrown ground. Lighter and narrower would be great (ravin?), I'm still on the fence about dependability and no ability to fix your own at camp.

I do still have my axiom and it does shoot good, I just like the micro width better.
Micro 335 nightmare, Axiom
Swhacker 150 grain, zombie slayers
Wants: micro ultra lite, adj. stock, take down, good trigger, good scope , low 300 speed to keep "cockable" w/out crank
janesy

Post by janesy »

flinthead wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:56 pm
janesy wrote:
flinthead wrote:

Yes, absolutely!!

BUT... since I'm the one that thunk it up... :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle:
:lol: :thumbup:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

janesy wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:47 am
Or let me word this differently, Would you pay the current market price for a crossbow with the same features as an EXO series bow?
I believe that sales would get "Axe'd". :lol:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I’m hanging on to my relics, that’s all I have to say about that! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

I would definitely NOT be buying a new special run Exo at modern prices. But I will also never be selling my aluminum Ibex.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Interesting idea.

I wouldn't pay new bow prices for a long limber.. :)

But then again I'm driving a 2019 Ram classic edition and will probably buy another because of the $ and I don't like the new generation Ram... lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I agree that a new run on the old bow wouldn't sell but a new possibly magnesium or drilled exo,matrix, micro configuration similar to a gearhead ultralight would definitely get some attention. My idea of the ultralight crossbow has fallen on deaf " ears for years" now to the excalibur engineers.
Who wants a heavy crossbow ....instead we worry about speed. My micro is cool and compact but lt still feels like a brick.Lets give the concept a whirl .
The answer to the price question for me l would actually pay as much for a true ultralight crossbow as some would for the top of the line most expensive bow that excalibur sells can't speak for the others .
Last edited by longbow joe on Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

longbow joe wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:36 pm
I agree that a new run on the old bow wouldn't sell but a new possibly magnesium or drilled exo,matrix, micro configuration similar to a gearhead ultralight would definitely get some attention. My idea of the ultralight crossbow has fallen on deaf " ears for years" now to the excalibur engineers.
Who wants a heavy crossbow ....instead we worry about speed. My micro is cool and compact but lt still feels like a brick. Lets give the concept a whirl .
As I have mentioned previously, I'm a longtime Excalibur owner, and owned a "few" of them. :roll:

What I've found from my personal experience is that what is important is not so much the weight, but how it's balanced and how the bow fits the shooter.
I'm not a big man, on the contrary, at my tallest I was only 5'7" and shrinking. :( Yet I found that I could shoot my Exocet (15.5" rail) or my Exomag (16.5" rail) more accurately than I could my Vixen (14" rail"). I found that the Vixen did not feel as stable in my hands and I could not shoot it as accurately off-hand.
Another thing I noticed is that the "wide wing span" of the Exo-series bows helps in balancing them laterally. I can hold my Exocet 200 more stable than I can any of my Matrix bows. I suppose it's the same principle as a "tight-rope walker" using a long pole for balance.

In summary, I certainly like the smaller size of both my Matrix and Micro bows. They are easier to carry, and maneuver in a blind or tree stand, and when using a rest they are almost just as accurate as the Exo-series. However, for me, I can shoot my Exo-series bows almost just as well off-hand as I can when using a rest. That's not the case with my Matrix bows. Therefore for target and 3D shooting, I feel that the Exo-series hold the edge. For hunting, the Matrix and Micro might be better suited.

The bottom line is that ALL Excalibur crossbows have their Pros and Cons. One just has to decide which one is more suitable for the purpose at hand.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.