2021 Season plans?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

2021 Season plans?

Post by janesy »

2021 Season is coming fast this year. Starts in only weeks for some, couple months for the rest.

Anyone have new plans, new gear, new land they plan to change up this year?

I haven't got a deer with my Axe340 yet, so I'm looking forward to so tree time with that little beauty. Changed to a Vortex Venom earlier this year on the Axe, so that's new for me.
Also got invited to a new rifle deer camp fairly close to home. Not like any deer camp I've ever been to so, I'm curious how that will play out. Should be good.

What's everyone else planning for this year?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Re: 2021 Season plans?

Post by xcaliber »

Got a Y-25 recently and it is ready to go. My plan is to get a doe early on with her then hopefully a buck as October winds down. My major plan is to be done before the really cold weather sets in here. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

What a frigging disaster!

Looks like a tornado went thru.

Hunting property owner had his 90 selective cut. Man they really opened it up. But the junk trees they just left layn around, its a massive mess.

To make matters worse. We got to move all our stands. They came right to the tree the stands in and cut all the cover trees right next to it. No more background cover. Bare assed stand left in the tree with all others just piled up around base.

Damaged 2 stands beyond repair.

Cutter said the downed stuff would decompose in a couple yrs. Maybe the junk stuff but those younger hardwoods etc. won't.

I will say this much , come rifle season , these guys won't have to worry about shooting lanes.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have been shooting my new Timberhawk recurve and am slowly dialing it in. I'm 100% an "Ashby Fan", so I'm building arrows that are heavy with lots of FOC. Bare shaft tuning etc etc. It took awhile as I had to get my form down good enough that I could even do some of this stuff. MY plan is to take at least 1 with the Timberhawk, and then hopefully 1 with my Dad's old 1950's Blackhawk.

Given the above, I haven't even touched my Micro's yet. I'll have to build some arrows and dial them in, but as you know that won't take too long. I may bump up my arrow weight a little and use my Magnus Stingers in those this year. Trying to use up some of the stuff I have accumulated over the years.....haha. But also, I had some odd stuff happen last year when using 150gr Slick Tricks. Had one deflect up on a passthrough and another seemed to bounce off a rib and go up a bit on the way out. Then another hit behind the shoulder but I guess deflected and ended up in the off side hind qtr. I think that 150gr ferrule that does not really have a chisel point lead to all of that.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

elkaholic wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:36 am

Hunting property owner had his 90 selective cut. Man they really opened it up. But the junk trees they just left layn around, its a massive mess.

To make matters worse. We got to move all our stands. They came right to the tree the stands in and cut all the cover trees right next to it. No more background cover. Bare assed stand left in the tree with all others just piled up around base.

Cutter said the downed stuff would decompose in a couple yrs. Maybe the junk stuff but those younger hardwoods etc. won't.

I will say this much , come rifle season , these guys won't have to worry about shooting lanes.
Had this happen to me on part of the land I hunted in Ohio. You are right, a lot of that junk will stay for a long time. But the deer loved it and made like tunnels through it eventually. Definitely a bedding area, but very hard to hunt. A ghille suit on the ground and you will blend right in, or lower your ladder stands to just 1 or 2 sections to elevate some but not so high you stick out.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

After the cut, there are pockets and edges with some decent cover.

Just starting all over with known trails .

It makes seeing them in the open easier but hoping the bigger mature bucks will use what covers left.
Last edited by elkaholic on Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I know the pain of timber and right-of-way clearings by major oil and gas companies!! In the second week on November 1999, one of the big pipeline companies came thru a 40 acre parcel and started laying markers on the right-of-way. I thought they were going to mow and wanted to ask them to wait until deer season was over.
I was finally able to get ahold of them, and much to my disliking I was told they were getting ready to remove the pipeline that was already there in the ground and install a new 36" job!! Plus widen the right-of-way to 100 feet across!! :thumbdown:

Mind you that this pipeline is going to run over 100 miles from start to finish. It looks like a huge scar across the face of the Piney Woods when viewed from the air!! :evil: It's been a slow, painful process watching them cut down trees, pile them up, burn what they can't sell and then start the dozer work. No trench work yet on my place for the new line. Projected finish date?? September of 2023. :wtf:

Needless to say, that project is still being carried out and that 40 acres is usless for hunting. I'm just thankful I have other places to hunt. :thumbup:

On a bright note to all this...They have agreed to do some "personal things" for me...one is to build me a new 5 acre pond and plant some fruit trees on the place. They are going to remove some additional trees I was going to have cut down. Plus they are building me a new road in and out of the place. I bought this place because it was "land locked". A neighbor was kind enough to allow me acess to his place to get to mine. (Actually by law, someone had to allow me to trespass.) Now I'll have my own road from the nearest highway due to the new pipeline access.

But It SURE has messed up a good hunting place. Perhaps the wildlife will reappear when they have moved on. :eusa-pray:

And... I picked up another place to hunt near the sleepy little town of Tatum, Texas. That's about a 30-40 minute drive for me. But the place has a ton of hogs on it!! Haven't see a lot of deer on camera, but did I mention i've see a LOT OF HOGS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bacon on the hoof!! :mrgreen:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

elkaholic wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:36 am

We did "timber stand improvement" on our farm in 2015, which included a selective harvest of 180 trees (the farm includes 48 acres of timber) and some "girdling" of undesirable trees. We also did some "edge feathering". The Missouri Department of Conservation assisted us in the whole process with the goal of improving habitat and enhancing conditions for valuable trees (mostly white oak and black walnut). Opening up the canopy had a lush effect on the forest floor creating lots of food and cover. Our deer population was good before but it is even better now. We also have more quail. Our turkey numbers are down but I think other factors are contributing to that. Our project only removed 3-4 trees per acre (plus the girdled trees) so it wasn't as drastic as what you described, but the effect over time on your hunting spot could end up to be positive.
axiom
350 SE
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Hopefully the deer cooperate and I can finally tag something with my 400 TD this year. The 340 TD stole all the glory last season.

For the first time I got drawn for a gun hunt permit on a WMA in Arkansas known for nice bucks. My brother hunts on it frequently with his Axe. From his favorite tree just before dark he can see the lights on his shop across the field. So it's close to home. I'll be nice to hunt quality ground with family members for a mature buck even if it has to be with a rifle.

If the buck I've got on camera sticks around and keep growing, I could end up spending a lot of quality time up a tree this fall.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I'm retired so my goal is to hunt as much as possible. Just enjoy the peace and quiet of nature.
2 guys from work passed away from cancer suddenly, one 55 and one 58. So you never know when your ticket is punched!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Hunt, fish, drink whiskey and smoke cigars - not necessarily in that order.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Normous

Post by Normous »

Species8472 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:09 pm
Hunt, fish, drink whiskey and smoke cigars - not necessarily in that order.
:mrgreen: Cheers!

Edit: my goal is to get myself back into hunt physical shape by Sept.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Just like dan I'm getting the y25 relayer ready on our annual myrtle beach vacation now gonna start shooting in a few weeks.
Got doe permits the other day.
I'm really not gonna do a ton of scouting this season...l call it "scaring " we kinda know the deer are in there no need to wise them up more.
Had 2 almost shooters last year I'm sure they are still around and definitely shooters now.lm not much into the camera but l have 2 out there still gonna check them soon.
I go by the simple theory that if the bucks big enough to shoot you don't need to think about it.
I'm gonna shoot the swats again they were very good to me last year but gonna switch to the chisel tip rather than the tiny knife up front l just don't think it does anything more than the chisel.
Last year l was worried about the pennitration with the vixen 2 but after killing 3 doe with the vixen and swat mini with total pass ...no worries now.
I'm going with the A4 full size with the vortex and y25.
Stands need brushing in and new straps and some jungle taming with the machete is needed.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
lituani

Post by lituani »

You're not kidding - 2021 Season IS coming fast this year.

Bow opener is 01October here in Michigan. Working to get ready with my new-to-me Matrix 355 and Matrix 380. One of them will be used for my first 2021 harvest. Depending on situation, may keep shooting Matrix or go back to Vortex.

Firearm season is 15-30November. Replaced my Savage 18" barreled 350Legend with a Savage Axis II 22" heavy barrel. Haven't had time to get it dialed in yet, so alot of work ahead of me.

Good luck with the new deer camp. What caliber you using?
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

No new plans but I'm hoping to get out bow hunting more often. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.