ACURACY?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

ACURACY?

Post by longbow joe »

Today l was thinking about how l practice with my longbow and how l practice with the crossbow.
With the longbow l have 2 burlap covered eathafoam (ground hogs) on a stake that l shoot at 20 and 25 yards...l rarely shoot the longbow further than 30 yards.
I got 5 plastic and Styrofoam cups on dowls that l crush ,l shoot the cup then a large foam block is behind.
And l have a MacKenzie deer. Sometimes tomatoes from the yard.
With my longbow l am simply happy to hit a cup or the ground hog and the MacKenzie l strive for the heart lungs ...as long as it's in there somewhere.
NOW with the crossbow we get all weird and shoot at the little dots on the bag target and get all fussed up if it's an inch or so off! Even at 40 yards.
Just like guns everybody has a different " standard ".
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
papa bear1

Re: ACURACY?

Post by papa bear1 »

Ain't that the weirdest thing, when I shot my recurve if we could get a 6" group i'm happy as a butterfly on dog poop
then when I switched to a compound with sites I wanted 3" groups at 3o yds.
now i'm tickled when I get a robin hood with my equinox at 50 yds. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave :eusa-popcorn:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I pulled out the very dusty Exomax that my daughter now uses as her backup and gave it a good wipe down. It's been sitting in their spare bedroom getting covered in dust for a few years. First shot, 1" high. Four clicks down on the Deadzone, then I spent the next six shots trying to hit the roofing tacks that was holding the paper on. A couple shots at 40 at 1" dots and she's ready to screw on the broadheads back on. The Exomax with stock arrows always has been a tack driver.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:01 pm
Today l was thinking about how l practice with my longbow and how l practice with the crossbow.
With the longbow l have 2 burlap covered eathafoam (ground hogs) on a stake that l shoot at 20 and 25 yards...l rarely shoot the longbow further than 30 yards.
I got 5 plastic and Styrofoam cups on dowls that l crush ,l shoot the cup then a large foam block is behind.
And l have a MacKenzie deer. Sometimes tomatoes from the yard.
With my longbow l am simply happy to hit a cup or the ground hog and the MacKenzie l strive for the heart lungs ...as long as it's in there somewhere.
NOW with the crossbow we get all weird and shoot at the little dots on the bag target and get all fussed up if it's an inch or so off! Even at 40 yards.
Just like guns everybody has a different " standard ".
I am very similar. With my recurve I'm now shooting only at my deer target and only 1 shot groups and almost every shot from a different yardage. As long as I''m in the kill zone I'm happy.

But with the Micro, 4 arrows cutting a 1" dot (with Magnus Stingers) and I'm happy. I never liked the Excal scopes because I don't like the chevrons, AND the adjustment was in 2MOA clicks. The bows are better than that so I figure why not dial them in. 2MOA at 20 yards is about 1/2" (0.4" I think) to me I just enjoy tinkering around to get things better....but to your point, that 1/2" doesn't really matter when hunting. But....as I said in another post, learning how to get arrows to stack at 40 yards by understanding the physics of what is going on is fun to me. And being more accurate does not hurt you one bit when hunting.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I believe l said this before keith ...dont mean to be repetitive but my best longbow practice is just roving thru the woods with judo points shooting at stuff.
I have a kind of sandy area at a local quarry with bumps and lumps that is very kind to my shafts.
I love sneaking up on groundhogs and crows too.
It's a shame the crossbow is just too fast for this kinda practice....bolts don't hold up as well 😕
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

longbow joe wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:20 pm
I believe l said this before keith ...dont mean to be repetitive but my best longbow practice is just roving thru the woods with judo points shooting at stuff.
I have a kind of sandy area at a local quarry with bumps and lumps that is very kind to my shafts.
I love sneaking up on groundhogs and crows too.
It's a shame the crossbow is just too fast for this kinda practice....bolts don't hold up as well 😕
I need to try this. But I worry that all the pine straw will eat my arrows. I guess I'll just have to never miss. Should be a piece of cake. :lol:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I never kinda had an idea what pine straw 🤔 was till l visited yall ... now l know.
Sometimes it gets kinda thick I see how difficult tracking would be.
In se pa we have "jungle woods" leaves vines and some rather thick stuff.