Hawk crawler deer cart update

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hillcountry

Re: Hawk crawler deer cart update

Post by Hillcountry »

DuckHunt wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:37 pm
That's a great cart full! Congrats to them.

I purchased a Hawk Crawler and used it once. For those that are interested, I really can't recommend it for hilly terrain. Its way harder to descend a steep grade with a deer on a Hawk Crawler than not. It adds work in both directions.

Now in the woods on firm soil, it is pretty impressive how it can negotiate obstacles.

I gifted it to my younger brother in Arkansas and we used it to drag out his swamp buck last Saturday. I also can't recommend it for swampy retrievals. We had to cross three sloughs well above knee deep in muck and we would have been far better off with the deer off of the cart than on it. Those thin tires are more like pulling a disc behind a tractor when pressed into deep muck. That's only a problem if you are the tractor. :lol:

But, the Hawk Crawler certainly has many good uses. We used it to carry our two climbing stands about a mile back onto public land. That alone saved a lot of sweat.
On “steep” terrain, one could easily dump the deer out and use gravity to slide it down the hill. Uphill…fahgettaboutit! 😂
Yup, those wheels are certainly not pontoons…but for “general” carting over medium terrain, I wouldn’t want any other cart. That said, I have NOT tested mine YET! Trying like hell but no luck…so far.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
grouse

Re: Hawk crawler deer cart update

Post by grouse »

amythntr wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:13 am
.....ah the beauty of having your own property and Kubota UTV's.....no need for deer carts :lol: :lol: :lol: ....albeit, it was a hell of a lot more expensive that just having a cart in the back of a truck on state property! :eusa-think: :eusa-doh:
Ditto on Kubota but mine is a little different. I have the 26 horsepower subcompact tractor. Friday evening I shot a doe with my rifle. All I had to do was field dress her, drag her a short distance to where I could bring the 4 wheel drive tractor and slide her into the front end loader. Next I drove her back to the house, tied some paracord around her head and hung her to cool overnight. The following morning I slid her back into the bucket and drove the tractor to the back of my SUV which had a tarp spread out in the hatch. I just slid her into the waitng hatch and I was off to the processor. I never had to lift the deer once.

I've had the Kubota for 10 years now and it has been a "hearse" for many deer.
axiom
350 SE