How many of you are ready to roll?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

How many of you are ready to roll? The truth!

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 35

Boo

How many of you are ready to roll?

Post by Boo »

I am truly inundated with string and arrow orders. It is bananas! I even have a guy who bought a string in June and started shooting recently only to fnd out that the serving is cut completely in 60 shots. I have a whack of things to do around the farm as well as a little more work on my kill plot and have to vacuum my hunting blind. Thinking about building another wood blind to move around on my farm but don't need it until late Oct. Other than that, I'm ready.
So the question begs, are you guys ready? Sighted in. Some practice shooting? Equipment all checked out? Serving ok? Got enough arrows?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Re: How many of you are ready to roll?

Post by AJ01 »

Just finished getting things ready, well, as ready as they can be this past weekend. :eusa-liar:

Toppped off all the feeders. Made a few limb trimmings around a couple of blinds. Put out an extra pop-up on a new piece of property. Ran trail cams. Had a little run in with timber loggers cutting thru MY property to get to another piece of land. Seems they thought they could cut the lock of my gate to gain entrance. My gate has a road going back to the back of MY property, thanks to the oilfield company. They crossed not only my land but then proceeded to cross my neighbor's also to get to the timber they were cutting!! :wtf: :eusa-naughty:

We had a visit with the local Game Warden and the Sheriff's Office. It was explained to them by badge wearing individuals that they DID NOT have the right to drive thru two different properties to cut timber. They saw the "light"!! :lol: :lol:

Season kicks off October 2nd. Been so hot here even the 'skeeters are sweating!! And NO RAIN for well over a month. All the greenery that was out is now drying up like a raisin in the sun!!
No acorns dropping either.
Could be an interesting season for sure. :eusa-think:
We will see what happens....
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:33 am
Just finished getting things ready, well, as ready as they can be this past weekend. :eusa-liar:

Toppped off all the feeders. Made a few limb trimmings around a couple of blinds. Put out an extra pop-up on a new piece of property. Ran trail cams. Had a little run in with timber loggers cutting thru MY property to get to another piece of land. Seems they thought they could cut the lock of my gate to gain entrance. My gate has a road going back to the back of MY property, thanks to the oilfield company. They crossed not only my land but then proceeded to cross my neighbor's also to get to the timber they were cutting!! :wtf: :eusa-naughty:

We had a visit with the local Game Warden and the Sheriff's Office. It was explained to them by badge wearing individuals that they DID NOT have the right to drive thru two different properties to cut timber. They saw the "light"!! :lol: :lol:

Season kicks off October 2nd. Been so hot here even the 'skeeters are sweating!! And NO RAIN for well over a month. All the greenery that was out is now drying up like a raisin in the sun!!
So is your bow ready to hunt with? Have you gone over your bow/string/arrows and broadheads?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I’m not ready. I will be soon though. The clothes are ready, the boots are ready, the stands are ready, and I’m ready physically as best as I could be. Going to use Y25 for the first deer, then maybe the Micro. Gotta get them dialed in and my handgun, and muzzle loader checked out.
I will make 2 strings for a good buddy from Michigan, and the late planners can wait. It’s not like October falls right after May for goodness sake’s!
Boo, I don’t miss the pressure! :eusa-snooty:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Our season has started already but my one spot has asked that we start in October because of camping activities and other things.
I have stands to get ready but the problem here is its just so darn hot.
I just can't stand the sweat and heat l have come to the conclusion that if its not fun I'm not going.
Meanwhile l continue to get work and chores done knowing that hunting is just around the corner.
I have all of the bows sighted in but still practice once a week or so.
I just don't want to deal with a deer carcass in this weather ....more trouble than reward.
Yesterday l made some Dr pepper jalapeno beef jerky from a lady's recipe on YouTube...it was just awsome....lots a ways to keep buisy until it cools down.
I mentioned before in the 80's and 90s' l had an arrow making buisness...l also don't miss the pressure Dan.My regular job is enough !
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:43 am
I’m not ready. I will be soon though. The clothes are ready, the boots are ready, the stands are ready, and I’m ready physically as best as I could be. Going to use Y25 for the first deer, then maybe the Micro. Gotta get them dialed in and my handgun, and muzzle loader checked out.
I will make 2 strings for a good buddy from Michigan, and the late planners can wait. It’s not like October falls right after May for goodness sake’s!
Boo, I don’t miss the pressure! :eusa-snooty:
Dan, the difference between you and the others is that you are quite self sufficient. Every year I have less and less compassion for those who forget to get ready soon enough.
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

My micro setup is 100% ready, sighted in with broadheads and all. My Bulldog setup with the new CF2 from Anthony is sighted in, but just need to check my broadheads with it (don't expect much change with my Sevr's anyway).

Have a couple shooting rest tweaks to make on my Rig, then I'll be taking pictures of that complete setup. Really liking how it is turning out.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Boo wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:42 am
AJ01 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:33 am

So is your bow ready to hunt with? Have you gone over your bow/string/arrows and broadheads?
Yes Sir...I have. Shot some yesterday (09/06/22), as a matter-of-fact!! :thumbup:
The string I got from you is STILL in great shape. Thank YOU very much!! :clap:
Limbs on bow checked for splinters, cracks or any other Goblins!! None found!
Everything is tight!
Everything has been waxed, lubed and oiled.
Lumenoks still work. Extra batteries if needed on hand.
Swhackers are still sharp and fly like they should. 100gr. GREEN 2" cut. Got about 20-25 of them still in the packs. (Did I mention I like these?) :lol:
I do replace the bands on these after they been bumping around in my quiver. Bands are dirt cheap. Wounded or missed Deer aren't!!
Optics are crisp and clear. Everything tight.
Licenses and tags are current (newly purchased), and good for a year from August 31st 2021-22.
Even new resgistration on truck.
RTV in good shape.
Mowed lanes with Kubota.
Checked on the ladder stands to make sure all the ratchet straps are tight and will last another season.
Sprayed ground blinds with Sawyer's Permethrin.
Will do hunting clothes about 3-5 days before opening morning!
Knives have been re-sharpened!! :lol:
Backpack has been loaded and unloaded and then reloaded again, just to make sure. :eusa-think:
Solar panels working great on feeders.
And yes...I STILL fit into my hunting clothes!! :mrgreen:
First aid kit is full. Just hope I don't need it!!
And I'm sure I'll think of something else later on.... :eusa-whistle:

I actually cheat...we hunt year round. Either hogs or exotics. And I hunt with my favorite bow!!
You could call me right now and say..."Let's go hunting"....I'd be in the truck before you heard the click on the other end!! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by AJ01 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I Stay Ready
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Been shooting the recurve since Jan almost everyday. Pretty ready with that. And my other older Blackhawk.

Micro 335 is ready to go with 4 arrows with 150gr Magnus stingers this year. Flying very well and very accurate.

Clothes just came back from Insect Shield where I had them treated with Tick (and other stuff like mosquito) repellant. It is supposed to last 70 washings....so those clothes should be good for several years.

Permission slips all completed

Was at one property one day and scouted a new sit location. Feel good about that. I want to adjust a stand over there but haven't had time.

Other property has 30 deer tags waiting for me.

I'm pretty ready. Since I sit on the ground and my buddy uses a saddle we can setup based on what we see going in. And we are familiar with the properties so that helps. But I do have 2 stands to adjust on property #2
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Truck is ready clothes are washed, need to sight in, need to go to woods and hang lifelines on stands. I do it the last week so they don't go missing or vandalized.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

I have had everyone out shooting and checking zero on 5 crossbows plus the backups. Fall turkey starts on the 20th. I have one rig setup just for turkeys. The wife and kids are ready to roll with their equipment. Still have 2 blinds to set up. Stands are good but will get double checked this week. Knives are sharp, so are my broadheads. Its bear season here now but I have not got a single game cam pic of one so I'll stay busy getting ready and picking vegetables. The good part is I don't have to mess with firewood. Haven't had to all summer. Got smart and did all of it last winter. This freed up a bunch of time. Were gonna make plenty of time for sitting in the woods after the veggies are processed.
I'm hoping you guys are all enjoying getting ready for your fall hunts and wish you all the best of luck in Fall 2021.
Take care
Hatchet
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Been ready since MAY!!! LOL

Seems like spring bear season was just yesterday.

I will need to take a few insurance shots but my quiver is full and freezer is almost empty. I hunt harder when I'm in a deer meat crisis!!! :)

This weekend is time to check the stands and deliver the gifts to the land owners... :)

Come on Oct 01st....
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Carnivorous wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:07 pm
Been ready since MAY!!! LOL

Seems like spring bear season was just yesterday.

I will need to take a few insurance shots but my quiver is full and freezer is almost empty. I hunt harder when I'm in a deer meat crisis!!! :)

This weekend is time to check the stands and deliver the gifts to the land owners... :)

Come on Oct 01st....
I’m with you Jeff, more ready than not. Good luck everyone!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

My ladder stand stays out year round and I put my ground blind out last week (2weeks before archery opener) cams went out the same day. My crossbow shoots the same every year…bullseye at 20yds but I will shoot it before the opener anyway. Need some cooler weather before the blood really gets pumping.
I live where I hunt so I can be at my stands in 5 minutes. :mrgreen:
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360