Best hours for bear hunting ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

Best hours for bear hunting ?

Post by gerald strine »

I am new to bear hunting and have been told that morning hunts are not really productive .
What have the Bear hunters out their found to be the best times for Bear sightings ?
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
DuckHunt

Re: Best hours for bear hunting ?

Post by DuckHunt »

I'm interested in feedback on this question as well. :eusa-popcorn:

I've got this thing roaming around my stand and captured him twice on cam in late morning in June, then these evening shots last week.
For you bear hunters, how much would you guess this one weighs? Can you tell the sex from photos?

We can't bait here, so I'm stuck with the good old fashioned waiting game. But most of the time luck is being in the right place at the right time. Location matters, but timing is crucial. I've got three weekday afternoons in late September I can chase him with a rifle, then he's also on the hit list throughout my October archery buck season.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

In my black bear hunting experience with a number of lads here on this forum most bears we arrow are taken in the last 1.5 hours before sunset according to my mental notes.

Nice photo Duckhunt!
Last edited by Normous on Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

1hr before sunset has been go time most seasons for me.

Last year we had a bear taken in the morning.

Let the game cams tell you the best time for your particular bait location... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
munch

Post by munch »

Every one I’ve shot has been in the last hour as well . I’m not a fan of walking back into a bear bait in the dark . But have lots of pictures of bears coming during the day and some several times during the same day
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
janesy

Post by janesy »

I'm still the new guy on the block, but through watching our game cameras, there is definately action in the morning. Whether we get off our butts and hunt them in the AM is the question.

We regularly see them in the morning, one was taken in the morning hours. And on at least three occasions now I have pushed them right off the baits in the morning to rebait between 8-11 am. All of which were back in minutes of me returning to my truck.

This is a loaded question... If most bear hunters hunt the evening hours and not the morning, then more hunters will be successful in the PM hours and never know about the AM. I would say, the PM is definitely the productive hunt, but I would not pass up a morning hunt if you have the time to be there. Because they are definitely there

For reference, I've only taken 2 bears. One at 12:50pm and the other at 7:26 PM. And I passed on one in the morning hours in 2020.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

gerald strine wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:50 pm
I still owe you and email, sorry I forgot. I'll get some details over to you today.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Eck

Post by Eck »

Please also indicate if you are shooting over bait. Some of us aren’t allowed to bait bears, so am curious what impact that has.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber