FOR THOSE OF YOU USING TRAIL CAMERAS ON THEIR LAND.....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

FOR THOSE OF YOU USING TRAIL CAMERAS ON THEIR LAND.....

Post by amythntr »

....everyone hears stories of "I never saw that monster on my camera" when they shoot a big one during the season.....

....is it safe to assume that what one is seeing now on cameras could or will significantly be altered once at least the archery season starts, but more so when the guns go off and more so when the rut starts?

....I have also heard people say, "I never saw that buck again that was on camera all spring and summer!"

....do you find the above to be true?.....and if so, what is the basis for letting a deer pass and not shooting it if this IS the case?
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
AJ01

Re: FOR THOSE OF YOU USING TRAIL CAMERAS ON THEIR LAND.....

Post by AJ01 »

According to "Whitetail Experts", deer have two different ranges during the year.
We see certain bucks on camera during the spring and summer. As bucks start to grow antlers, they tend to be out in the open hardwood bottoms and field edges more than in the really thick stuff we see them in come November-January.

Why? ... Cause as antlers grow, bucks don't want them banging against tree limbs, brush or anything else that could damages the soft tissue. Once bucks begin to "rub", hence removing the velvet, habitat changes. Mature bucks once more seek dense cover to bed and feel secure within their 'home range".

This is the time of year we call the "October Lull". Bucks we have been seeing suddenly "disappear". Have they really disappeared? Nope, they just move back in to the thick stuff.
Bucks will remain there until the urge to "rut" drives them out looking for the ladies!!

Trail camera pics....ever have a pic of a buck looking straight at your trail cam? Ever see him again? Probably not, if it's mounted down low. Also it depends on your camera. Is it IR or "black" flash? A couple of years back I started placing cameras up higher, like in the 6 foot range. Started getting a lot more Buck pics. Also, put your camera on a tree that is way bigger in diameter that your camera. And wipe your scent off the camera.

The Buck is still there, just not where you put your stand, or your camera. Think Deer!! Thick narly nasty stuff. Next to bedding areas, not in them!! Near game trails, not on them. Between food sources and bedding areas.
And then hang several stands in different locations.

Big deer don't get to be big by being stupid.

This buck came off a place where folks said there were "No Deer". Looks like a deer to me? :lol:
Understanding whitetail movement during different times of year will put you in his living room.

He knows what he's doing? Question is...do you?

Just the rambling thoughts of an Old Redneck!
Deep from the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

AJ01 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:51 am
According to "Whitetail Experts", deer have two different ranges during the year.
We see certain bucks on camera during the spring and summer. As bucks start to grow antlers, they tend to be out in the open hardwood bottoms and field edges more than in the really thick stuff we see them in come November-January.

Why? ... Cause as antlers grow, bucks don't want them banging against tree limbs, brush or anything else that could damages the soft tissue. Once bucks begin to "rub", hence removing the velvet, habitat changes. Mature bucks once more seek dense cover to bed and feel secure within their 'home range".

This is the time of year we call the "October Lull". Bucks we have been seeing suddenly "disappear". Have they really disappeared? Nope, they just move back in to the thick stuff.
Bucks will remain there until the urge to "rut" drives them out looking for the ladies!!

Trail camera pics....ever have a pic of a buck looking straight at your trail cam? Ever see him again? Probably not, if it's mounted down low. Also it depends on your camera. Is it IR or "black" flash? A couple of years back I started placing cameras up higher, like in the 6 foot range. Started getting a lot more Buck pics. Also, put your camera on a tree that is way bigger in diameter that your camera. And wipe your scent off the camera.

The Buck is still there, just not where you put your stand, or your camera. Think Deer!! Thick narly nasty stuff. Next to bedding areas, not in them!! Near game trails, not on them. Between food sources and bedding areas.
And then hang several stands in different locations.

Big deer don't get to be big by being stupid.

This buck came off a place where folks said there were "No Deer". Looks like a deer to me? :lol:
Understanding whitetail movement during different times of year will put you in his living room.

He knows what he's doing? Question is...do you?

Just the rambling thoughts of an Old Redneck!
Deep from the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

amythntr wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:20 am
....everyone hears stories of "I never saw that monster on my camera" when they shoot a big one during the season.....

....is it safe to assume that what one is seeing now on cameras could or will significantly be altered once at least the archery season starts, but more so when the guns go off and more so when the rut starts?

....I have also heard people say, "I never saw that buck again that was on camera all spring and summer!"

....do you find the above to be true?.....and if so, what is the basis for letting a deer pass and not shooting it if this IS the case?
Anthony this would have been my third year of putting cameras out but due to a car accident I’ve only been able to put 4 cameras out this season at two locations and did not put the other 10 cameras out. The last 2 years what I’ve found out is that the deer on two locations (farms)are pretty predictable up until the rut when rut starts forget about it they are unpredictable and you never know when you’ll see them. Now at the other two locations I usually set up at (woods/forest) during rut it seems the bucks are always following the does 15 mins to hour behind them this is during the rut but pre rut they are unpredictable. The first two locations are farms and the other two are strictly woods. I basically use the cameras to check to see what’s in the area if I find a pattern I’ll hunt that if not I’ll adjust to what the cameras are showing me. On one farm I’ve got three nice bucks I’ve been trying to get a shot at the last two years so far no luck. I’ve also got a nice non typical 21 coming in but I’ve only been fortunate to get him on camera about 6 times last year and 5-6 times the year before he has been totally nocturnal and no one has ever seen him during daytime hours on or off camera. The adjoining farm has a wide massive 16 I’ve never seen this one on camera or while hunting so yea I believe there are always bigger ones out there. I’ll just keep hunting the ones from the camera and maybe one day I’ll get that shot at a once in a lifetime buck. I just enjoy sitting out in the woods.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats