Boltcutters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hillcountry

Boltcutters

Post by Hillcountry »

I wanted a fixed blade broadhead for shooting through my ground blind screens. I went with a pack of 125 gr boltcutters as they have been around forever.
I don’t have any real world experience with them and was thinking there should be some on here that still use them? How do they perform on deer and bear? I did see the recent post on here with the damaged one that killed a doe…any pros/cons?
Thanks!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Normous

Re: Boltcutters

Post by Normous »

Shoot in confidence with a broadside or quartering away shot.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Normous wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:41 pm
Shoot in confidence with a broadside or quartering away shot.
Thanks! What about “quartering toward” in the chest?
My brother slammed a buck last season that was facing him right smack in the chest and the deer went into a death run/slide right under his tree and expired within 10 yards.
I always wondered about that shot…I know broadside and quartering away are no brainers as long as I do my part. I don’t know which BH he used but know it was a fixed blade.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Normous

Post by Normous »

The shoulder on a "quartering toward" shot can stop or slow down an arrow and I always suggest to bow/xbow hunters to avoid this shot, especially with large cut mechanicals. I have also seen my fair share poor shoulder penetrations even with fixed heads.

One can increase odds using the heaviest arrow adding to momentum . Personally, I just like fast crossbows paired with good shot placement and always have.

The size of a deer is important as there is significant difference between the shoulder structure of a 100 lb doe and a 250 plus muscular large boned buck.
However, sometimes everything aligns a death is quick.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Normous wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:39 pm
The shoulder on a "quartering toward" shot can stop or slow down an arrow and I always suggest to bow/xbow hunters to avoid this shot, especially with large cut mechanicals. I have also seen my fair share poor shoulder penetrations even with fixed heads.

One can increase odds using the heaviest arrow adding to momentum . Personally, I just like fast crossbows paired with good shot placement and always have.

The size of a deer is important as there is significant difference between the shoulder structure of a 100 lb doe and a 250 plus muscular large boned buck.
However, sometimes everything aligns a death is quick.
Thanks! I know there is more bone and muscle to contend with…I think it’s an “okay”shot with a heavy arrow if no better shot is presented but yes, better to wait for that ethical broadside or QA
Sometimes I think if you’re waiting for a huge bodied/racked buck…it might be hard to resist! :eusa-think:
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Normous

Post by Normous »

I just built some custom detailed 622 grain double carbon wall arrows for a customer who wanted a heavy arrow for his target buck that has never given him a good angle over the last 2 seasons.
This year he says he's taking the first good shot using this arrow tipped with a fixed one piece 175gr Tooth Of the Arrow 4 blade .
My jaw dropped looking at photos of the 280 lb King of the Woods.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Normous wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:39 pm
I just built some custom detailed 622 grain double carbon wall arrows for a customer who wanted a heavy arrow for his target buck that has never given him a good angle over the last 2 seasons.
This year he says he's taking the first good shot using this arrow tipped with a fixed one piece 175gr Tooth Of the Arrow 4 blade .
My jaw dropped looking at photos of the 280 lb King of the Woods.
Wow! That’s what I’m talking about!
Sometimes the big boys only offer a fleeting glimpse of a shot window! (Not talking from experience here!😂)
They don’t get that big by being stupid! I favor heavy (over 400) arrow anyway.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I wasn’t overly impressed with the performance of 150 gr Boltcutters on NW Oklahoma whitetails and ended up going to a 100 gr Carbon Express broadhead, and so far, I’m pleased with them.

My son bought some 100 gr Tooth of the Arrow broadheads to try this year, but I don’t see that they’re going to be any better than the Carbon Express.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I got a pack of 100gr Boltcutters in my bow package. Two shots, two kills. Both deer fell in sight. I can hit a 1" dot at 40y with one on a 410gr arrow. They aren't my primary choice, but may be the most accurate fixed blade I've ever used. I'd shoot them with confidence on an appropriate weight arrow.

They've performed perfectly for me. But like most broadheads, they're not fond of hard rock backstops.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

I have used the 150gr boltcutters . In my experience they don’t leave good blood trails.So unless they crash and fall over in sight the blood trail can be a bit lacking .
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

bobcattrapper wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:58 pm
I have used the 150gr boltcutters . In my experience they don’t leave good blood trails.So unless they crash and fall over in sight the blood trail can be a bit lacking .
^^^^THIS^^^^^was my exact problem with the 150 gr Boltcutters. I never lost a deer, but I had to use my blood trailing dog on a couple.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Well I’m sticking my neck out a bit but with all the ExcaliburCrossbow hunts I have watched with Dan and others representing Excalibur I have to think they used Excalibur heads, and they seem to do quite well! JMHO
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

I have killed numerous big bodied whitetails with the 150 gr innerloc(excalibur) boltcutters from compounds and crossbows over the years.I always have them in my broadhead box in 150 gr.

I've personally always had better blood trails with mechanical heads over fixed, except for a vpa kill last year and a slick trick kill a decade ago.

I have a friend who shoots nothing but a micro and innerloc 150 gr boltcutters for the last 6 or 7 years and enjoys his setup and no issues killing big bucks, 240 lbs dressed, 160"....he has a great area.I am glad we are friends..... :lol:
Libtards make me sick, and I don't take orders from a forum rat who needs to go to a safe place. Get used to Conservative Right wing hard working Canadians telling you liberals to F off!!!!! :wave:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

L.C.B.H wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:14 pm
I have killed numerous big bodied whitetails with the 150 gr innerloc(excalibur) boltcutters from compounds and crossbows over the years.I always have them in my broadhead box in 150 gr.

I've personally always had better blood trails with mechanical heads over fixed, except for a vpa kill last year and a slick trick kill a decade ago.

I have a friend who shoots nothing but a micro and innerloc 150 gr boltcutters for the last 6 or 7 years and enjoys his setup and no issues killing big bucks, 240 lbs dressed, 160"....he has a great area.I am glad we are friends..... :lol:
Heck, I’m glad you’re friends with him! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:52 pm
Well I’m sticking my neck out a bit but with all the ExcaliburCrossbow hunts I have watched with Dan and others representing Excalibur I have to think they used Excalibur heads, and they seem to do quite well! JMHO
Given the way the media “twists” the truth, do you honestly believe they would tell you anything but that Boltcutters work better than any other broadhead in the history of broadheads?!? :wink: