Easton FMJ vs BE Zombie Slayer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OhioXBowhunter

Re: Easton FMJ vs BE Zombie Slayer

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

There are other arrows out there besides Black Eagle……………….just kidding Black Eagle Zombies my number 1 arrows follow by the Executioners.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I shot xx75 2219 alluminums for a while never really had an issue ,l found them to shoot great with a dummy insert with a screw up front and a regular insert this gave me about 110 grains up front same as a brass inserts because brass inserts were basically non existant.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

When BEA came out, I introduced them to this forum. I sent out components to a quite a few people for them to build and the results were all more than good. I did not do that out of speculation. I did my research and testing prior to doing the test on the form. At the time I was field testing a 405 Matrix. I called BEA's president to question the accuracy because i found it difficult to be that they would do well in the 405. He basically told me I was being stupid, go figure. He told me to shoot them. Well at 50 yards that bow yielded sub 1" groups with field tips and about 1" groups with G5 Striker fixed broadheads. There is an astonishing myth that Zombies are needed and or better and that Executioners are sub par. Zombies can be too stiff. They will break easier and they are not recommended for some bows because they are too stiff. They are not recommended because of breakages.
Don't get fooled by the fluff.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I used FMJs on my first 2 bison hunts as I was trying to get a much heavier arrow. But I found they would bend. To go heavy now I use Gold Tip Nitro Pro arrows. 13.9 GPI. The highest I have found (Black Eagle ZS or EX are right at 9 GPI). These are also very stiff so they perform well on an animal. Their brass insert is only like 60 grains, so you will need to add weights to that which is what I did. They have a weight system that works well. Just screw them into the insert with blue Loctite and you can get about anything you want. WIth vanes and a Lumenok you should be able to easily get over 500 grains.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Boo wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:45 am
When BEA came out, I introduced them to this forum. I sent out components to a quite a few people for them to build and the results were all more than good. I did not do that out of speculation. I did my research and testing prior to doing the test on the form. At the time I was field testing a 405 Matrix. I called BEA's president to question the accuracy because i found it difficult to be that they would do well in the 405. He basically told me I was being stupid, go figure. He told me to shoot them. Well at 50 yards that bow yielded sub 1" groups with field tips and about 1" groups with G5 Striker fixed broadheads. There is an astonishing myth that Zombies are needed and or better and that Executioners are sub par. Zombies can be too stiff. They will break easier and they are not recommended for some bows because they are too stiff. They are not recommended because of breakages.
Don't get fooled by the fluff.
Hmmm. I'm not sold on "too stiff". If you have high FOC the bend point at impact will be moved even closer to the front, meaning a smaller moment arm making it even harder to bend. With a good CoC head and an arrow that will penetrate bone (heavy like 600+ grains) there should be nothing in the way that could exert enough force on that arrow to break it. But if your arrow is too light....well then I could see it happening if you hit bone...on like a moose.....all that force would go into the arrow because it's not heavy enough to breach the bone. But then it's an application error, not an arrow fail because it's too stiff.

To me the biggest advantage of the high draw weight bows is that you can shoot a very heavy arrow with better trajectory. Not a light arrow very very fast.

As teh Ranch Fairy says.....Shoot Adult Arrows
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

Keith, I said can be. Call up BEA and ask them if it is advisable to use a Zombie on a Ravin.
I am just drawing attention to the fact that people are immediately going to a Zombie when they don’t have to and in some cases, shouldn’t. It isn’t necessarily a better shaft then the Executioner. I think the Executioner is perfect for 16.5” arrows. I recently convinced Farmer to use them in his Mag 340 and he is pleased.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shoot both with good accuracy.....so I don't think that is the question. If BEA says don't shoot a Zombie because it will break vs an EX, are they saying it's weaker, or more brittle. In any case for the shaft to break means it saw more forces than it can handle. I'm just kind of thinking through the physics out loud here......so that would mean the resistance forces it encounters in the animal are too great for it.....and those increase exponentially as speed increases......so a slower heavier arrow from a 405 might be the ticket. 405fps comes from a 350 gr arrow right? If you lose 1fps/4 grains (typical on a Matrix) to get it down to 355fps, would mean a 550gr arrow. 550 grains going 355fps with a big tough broadhead would be pretty awesome I think. And quiet the bow some etc etc
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
lituani

Post by lituani »

janesy wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:49 pm
But 400 grain is perfectly acceptable for Deer. Moose, I would want heavier.
What's your preferred weight for moose? I'm shooting a Matrix 380 with 18" BEE arrows topped with 150gr Slick Trick broadhead. Total weight 450gr. Range 25 yards or less.
If no good broadside or neck shot available, it'll be Model 700 7mm mag.
janesy

Post by janesy »

lituani wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:24 pm
janesy wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:49 pm
But 400 grain is perfectly acceptable for Deer. Moose, I would want heavier.
What's your preferred weight for moose? I'm shooting a Matrix 380 with 18" BEE arrows topped with 150gr Slick Trick broadhead. Total weight 450gr. Range 25 yards or less.
If no good broadside or neck shot available, it'll be Model 700 7mm mag.
I have never shot a moose with an arrow. But the times I have been out, the arrow was 447grn.

Last year I set a friend's bow up for a moose hunt. It was. Phoenix, the arrows were around 20" executioners around 440grn, with a Wasp Drone, and they were moving at 278fps. The next week he got a complete pass through on a bull moose at a pretty close range. 12Y if I recall correctly. Shot placement was the key to success here.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I spoke with Don about using Zombie slayers in my Mag340...they are great with my M380...Upon listening to the sage advice from good friend and knowledgeable bowman Don K ....aka Boo
....I went with the executioners with 110 brass inserts and 125 grain points....can't be happier with the accuracy and how hard they hit !!
mikej

Post by mikej »

Zombie slayers for me , I shoot a bulldog 440
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective